Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I could use a hug..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Isafari, post: 158273
    Shelly, I really can't think of anything useful to say to you right now. This is such a hard time for your family. It's such a difficult thing to watch when an elderly relative looks straight through you
    All I can do right now is give you a and let you know you are not alone.
    x
    Thank you. It helps more than you even know

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 158269
    Thanks everyone. I have good moments and bad moments. Today was a bad one

She basically doesn't have anymore independent thought. She needs to be told each step of what she needs to do. When they put her food in front of her someone needs to tell her to eat, or she won't. It breaks my heart into a million pieces. Most of the time my Dad is 20 years old in her eyes. So, in turn, I don't exist. That is the hard part. That I'm not there anymore...

The memories that we have and the special times we spent together keep me going. I know that a lot of who I am came from my Nana, so she will be a part of my kids.

She keeps saying that she needs to go home because her Mother and Father are waiting for her..maybe they are. Maybe she needs to go home...

Shelly... That was my grandmother 3 years ago... from there it went to not knowing her husband... she says my grandpa is her dad, or that she doesnt know "that little old man next to her and what is he doing there?"

However, we have tried to make the best of a difficult situation, we make jokes and try to make it easier for her, so she doesnt suffer and so she is relaxed and happy instead of worried or confused...

I keep asking her if she has a boyfriend, if she likes to dance, if she likes such and such name, if she thinks Tatiana looks like a monkey (I know, dumb, but she bursts out laughing every single time and says Im mean and that she's beautiful, even if I ask her every couple of minutes)

So... what I have learned is that I just have to enjoy whatever little bits and pieces are left of her, and also, try to make her life a little lighter, thats not a lot, when compared to everything she has done for me

Post Thanks / Like
    It's so hard Shelly.

to you xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Shelly

I've nothing to offer in the way of advice, but please know we are all here for you...good moments AND bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mari, post: 158280

Shelly... That was my grandmother 3 years ago... from there it went to not knowing her husband... she says my grandpa is her dad, or that she doesnt know "that little old man next to her and what is he doing there?"

However, we have tried to make the best of a difficult situation, we make jokes and try to make it easier for her, so she doesnt suffer and so she is relaxed and happy instead of worried or confused...

I keep asking her if she has a boyfriend, if she likes to dance, if she likes such and such name, if she thinks Tatiana looks like a monkey (I know, dumb, but she bursts out laughing every single time and says Im mean and that she's beautiful, even if I ask her every couple of minutes)

So... what I have learned is that I just have to enjoy whatever little bits and pieces are left of her, and also, try to make her life a little lighter, thats not a lot, when compared to everything she has done for me

This is amazing advice! Thank you so much!!

A bug hug to all of you Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel in a way. My grandma is 82, she'll be 83 next month. Physically she's in pretty good health. However, since 1993, my grandfather, her mom and dad, 2 of her sisters and 1 brother have died. My uncle had a stroke last year. She often talks about wanting to "go home". It makes me really upset when I hear her talk like this. But, I know she's sad to have lost so many people.

It's rough no matter how you look at it

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Shelly, you know we're all here for you.

DLP The Disneyland Hotel
    1998 Wilderness Lodge
    1999 Off site
    2000 Caribbean Beach
    2001 Coronado Springs
    2003 Beach Club
    2005 Beach Club
    2007 Beach Club
    2009 Beach Club
    2012 Beach Club
    2014 Beach Club Concierge

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shelly

Johnie, I can understand your grandma wanting to go home.

My grandfather lived to 102 and though he was sharp as a tack til the day he died, he was just worn out and tired. He didn't have anyone his own age to talk to, his brothers were long gone and he just had enough. But he still worried about all his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren and was interested in our lives.

I was very lucky to have him as long as I did!
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)

Post Thanks / Like
    How you doing Shelly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneybumble, post: 158598
    How you doing Shelly.
    Doing good today

She is getting moved to rehab here in the town where I live today, so it will be nice to have her close by. They are giving her 100 days in rehab and then she will be headed into the nursing home. She won't be going home again..ever. It is hard, but I know that it is best for her. I'm not sure if she knows it or would remember if someone told her.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast