Thread: Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone help me please. I have noticed on a few of my shots lately red speckleing which is what they call noise. (I think)could anyone tell me the best way to stop this from happening or how to reduce the affect in a photo. I shot all my shots in Raw then convert to print.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lozzy, post: 158883
    Can anyone help me please. I have noticed on a few of my shots lately red speckleing which is what they call noise. (I think)could anyone tell me the best way to stop this from happening or how to reduce the affect in a photo. I shot all my shots in Raw then convert to print.
    There are a few things that can cause digital noise, the most usual one is the ISO setting you're using. The higher the iso, the less light it needs to get the shot (basically) and that's done on digital cameras by upping the amplification of the input. The more you amplify, the more digital noise you get. So keeping the ISO down will definitely reduce the amount of noise you see.

The other cause is underexposing. If you underexpose and then bring the photo back in post production, again you're basically trying to amplify and you'll start seeing the noise in dark areas.

Keeping the shutter open longer will also result in noise as will anything that heats the sensor up. Long exposures, multiple long exposures one after another etc.

Some sensors develop bad pixels over their lifetime as well so if you find youre getting tons of noise at low iso shots then :/

Other than that, you can process out much of the noise with applications such as noise ninja
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 158888
    There are a few things that can cause digital noise, the most usual one is the ISO setting you're using. The higher the iso, the less light it needs to get the shot (basically) and that's done on digital cameras by upping the amplification of the input. The more you amplify, the more digital noise you get. So keeping the ISO down will definitely reduce the amount of noise you see.

The other cause is underexposing. If you underexpose and then bring the photo back in post production, again you're basically trying to amplify and you'll start seeing the noise in dark areas.

Keeping the shutter open longer will also result in noise as will anything that heats the sensor up. Long exposures, multiple long exposures one after another etc.

Some sensors develop bad pixels over their lifetime as well so if you find youre getting tons of noise at low iso shots then :/

Other than that, you can process out much of the noise with applications such as noise ninja
    Oh thanks Keith, I saw this program being reviewed on The Gadget Show and they really liked it. I show that it is great for DSLR which is good seeing I have a Canon EOS 400D.