Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help planning a vacation

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe no-one has mentioned Liverpool and Chester!! The chester walls are stunning and there is some great stuff to do in Liverpool too. Could be combined with a trip to Yorkshire or surrounding area?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 159352
    Flying in and out of London would be easiest for sure. But understand you will need to get from the airport - and technically London has 4 airports - to where you are staying. A car is a good idea but again our roads are not like yours and it generally takes longer to get anywhere so don't be too ambitious in what you plan.

And yes, Stonehenge. Well it's just some rocks in a field. And that's it. Don't plan on spending more than an hour there.
    Too funny!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetlakes, post: 159301
    What time of year would you be planning to come over as that could seriously impact on how far north you travel. London is wonderful and there's loads to do, some of it free of charge too (always a bonus). We live in Wiltshire and its a beautiful County with Stonehenge, Avebury and the Cotswolds all close by and well worth a visit. One of my favourite hotels is this one Cardynham House Rooms - check out the pool room if you want a couple of nights of luxury with 4 poster bed, and it's own private pool. All the rooms are nice though and boast the Old English charm.

If you need any specific help with areas and whats available in those areas just give us a shout, i'd be more than happy to do a bit of personal research for you
    That looks lovely, will put that on my list!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, do we go North or south?! If i was putting a list together London- days 1-3, where do we go for days 4-6, and 7-9?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I think it depends what interests you mainly about Britain....cities and their architecture and amazing cathedrals? Castle? Stately homes? The countryside? The coast? So, lets assume you're going with the North option....

Durham Durham Tourism - your guide to the City of Durham and York Welcome To Visit York Tourist Information - Weekend Breaks Weekday Trip York are both perfect examples of old town centre and stunning cathedrals. Castle Howard Castle Howard - Home and Chatsworth Chatsworth house official website are wonderful stately homes. They are all in an area that can be done in a few days together, and see Yorkshire (and come and see me!!). Then the Lake District Lake District National Park - Home page is wonderful for scenery, and is compact compared to Scotland. It was the home of Beatrix Potter and poets like Wordsworth, and ancient stone ciclres like Catlerigg Castlerigg Stone Circle, near Keswick, is one of the most visually impressive prehistoric monuments in Britain, and is the most visited stone circle in Cumbria.

And for castles and coastline in my eyes Northumberland is wonderful Visit Northumberland | Northumberland cottages, hotels, B&Bs and attractions espcecially Bamburgh Bamburgh Parish Website which we think is the best beach and the most wonderful view.

If any of those were an option I'd recommend some hotels (or my spare room!!).

Of course I am biased. I know there are heaps of gorgeous areas in the UK to visit. But if you are looking for a taste of all of the different elements of Britain you also need to be able to reach everything easily or you could spend all your time travelling. So maybe a couple of days round York, including visiting a stately home, then a day in Durham, drive to Northumberland for a day or two, drive to the Lake District for the rest, then back to London (where maybe Windsor is a definite!).

Of course you'll probably change your mind a zillion times before you get here, but the researching is all part of the fun!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if you are an animal fan but if you do come up north, Chester Zoo is a *must*
    Chester Zoo - Welcome to Chester Zoo - a great day out for all the family
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything sounds so wonderful, I've never been out of the US before except to Canada of course. Deb, everything you mentioned is great!!! We love anything to do with history at our house. The age of everything is simply awe inspiring in England. Here our house is considered to be old because it was built in 1827!! I guess I'll have to get a map and see what is the best route to go! of course I blame all you wonderful people here posting your local vacations, they all sound so wonderful. What to choose? It really helps to have all the suggestions and links. Was it as confusing for you guys to come to Florida for the first time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb, post: 159449
    Well, I think it depends what interests you mainly about Britain....cities and their architecture and amazing cathedrals? Castle? Stately homes? The countryside? The coast? So, lets assume you're going with the North option....

Durham Durham Tourism - your guide to the City of Durham and York Welcome To Visit York Tourist Information - Weekend Breaks Weekday Trip York are both perfect examples of old town centre and stunning cathedrals. Castle Howard Castle Howard - Home and Chatsworth Chatsworth house official website are wonderful stately homes. They are all in an area that can be done in a few days together, and see Yorkshire (and come and see me!!). Then the Lake District Lake District National Park - Home page is wonderful for scenery, and is compact compared to Scotland. It was the home of Beatrix Potter and poets like Wordsworth, and ancient stone ciclres like Catlerigg Castlerigg Stone Circle, near

Keswick, is one of the most visually impressive prehistoric monuments in Britain, and is the most visited stone circle in Cumbria.

And for castles and coastline in my eyes Northumberland is wonderful Visit Northumberland | Northumberland cottages, hotels, B&Bs and attractions espcecially Bamburgh Bamburgh Parish Website which we think is the best beach and the most wonderful view.

If any of those were an option I'd recommend some hotels (or my spare room!!).

Of course I am biased. I know there are heaps of gorgeous areas in the UK to visit. But if you are looking for a taste of all of the different elements of Britain you also need to be able to reach everything easily or you could spend all your time travelling. So maybe a couple of days round York, including visiting a stately home, then a day in Durham, drive to Northumberland for a day or two, drive to the Lake District for the rest, then back to London (where maybe Windsor is a definite!).

Of course you'll probably change your mind a zillion times before you get here, but the researching is all part of the fun!!
    Deb, are you near Yorkshire?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 159451
    Not sure if you are an animal fan but if you do come up north, Chester Zoo is a *must*
    Chester Zoo - Welcome to Chester Zoo - a great day out for all the family
    Josh, that's a great suggestion! DS 12 loves animals. In fact we're going to the Cleveland Zoo in Ohio in 2 weeks! That's an awesome zoo as well with a great rainforest. I don't know how to post a link for you to check it out! How are your turtles? They are one of Tylers favorite things in Cleveland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkfan, post: 159490
    Deb, are you near Yorkshire?
    Yes, we're in North Yorkshire, if you look for a town called Richmond we're about 3 miles North of that. From our house York would be about an hour's drive, Durham 40 minutes, Lake District is about an hour, so it's a good central point for the North of England

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast