Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 30 Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixynne, post: 159599
    you'd rather read a good ol' fashioned bodice-ripper trashy romance novel, I say go for it!
    Now we're talking my books! :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixynne, post: 159599
    Not pretentious at all, it's good to be well-read.

I think the important thing, though, is to just read what you truly enjoy. If The Grapes of Wrath is dry as dust to you and you'd rather read a good ol' fashioned bodice-ripper trashy romance novel, I say go for it!
    You are totally right there....I could not begin to say how many books I've read, which means more than 99% of them are not in that list...one of my faves ever is the Little House on the Prairie series which most people think is silly

Post Thanks / Like
    No Enid Blyton?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 159602
    No Enid Blyton?
    A very fair point...no Gobbolino the Witch's Cat and the Secret Seven...travesty

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 159600
    Now we're talking my books! :D
    Pssst...have you read any of Laurell K. Hamilton's books?
    I'm in LOVE with her Meredith Gentry series, though some prefer the vampire themed Anita Blake series. I'd call both of them dark-fantasy-meets-bodice-ripper.

It may not be "great lit-ritcher", but one of my favorite series of novels is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Jamie Fraser is my idea of a sizzlin' Scotsman. (It might help to understand that every email account I have begins with "kiltchasing", and my forum name is a twist on something Jamie says to his new bride:
    "Ah,weel...if ye bed wi' a vixen, ye must expect to get bit...Come here to me, vixen. Bite me some more."
    ~James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser in Outlander

Rawwwwwr. *fans self, clears throat and continues* )
    Diana Gabaldon puts a great deal of historic elements in her writing as well, so it's not just page after page of heavy breathing.

I also loved the Narnia books as a young girl and never really got 'em out of my system.

For sci-fi, I adore Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" series. His premise is that all of the major 'powers that be' (such as Death, Nature, Time, Evil, Fate, etc) are all actually jobs held by mortal people, and he weaves a really wonderful storyline through 7 books, where each Incarnation is connected to the others in ways they never expected. Again, not a deep read--I read it in high school and had the typical short attention span of a 15 or 16 year old girl--but a fun read nonetheless.

I think I need to go to the bookstore today...
    Love isn't about finding someone you can live with.
    It's about finding someone you can share a lifetime with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually don't care for Hamilton's books. I've tried to get into them, but they just don't click with me. Have you tried the JR Ward series the Black Dagger Brotherhood? Very good. So are the Sookie Stackhouse books.

I attempted the Outlander books (on audio), but didn't get very far. I would like to give the actual books another go sometime. I've heard only good things about them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading should be fun and not something you 'have' to do.

Anywhoooo, has anybody, not attached to the religous vocation, truly read the bible cover to cover?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodie, post: 159620
    Reading should be fun and not something you 'have' to do.

Anywhoooo, has anybody, not attached to the religous vocation, truly read the bible cover to cover?
    Agreed, Jodie...that's what I want my students to feel too. A love of reading that follows them for life--even if they never read half of that top 30 list--and never feeling like it's a chore to open a book. The area where I teach is very high-poverty and most of my students never travel anywhere further than the local mall; I tell them a book is like a ticket to anyplace they want to visit, and with a library card, it's free.

Oh...and I've read the Bible cover-to-cover. I had read everything else in the house as a kid (including the encyclopedias) so I read the Bible. Color me geeky!
    Love isn't about finding someone you can live with.
    It's about finding someone you can share a lifetime with.

Post Thanks / Like
    So true! A book can take you anywhere, and you can be anyone. I couldn't imagine not being able to read. My favorite hobby is reading.

I have the study Bible, but have not made it very far.

Post Thanks / Like
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    The Bible
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien
    1984 by George Orwell
    A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    All Quite on the Western Front by E M Remarque
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
    The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    Tess of the D'urbevilles by Thomas Hardy
    Winnie the Pooh by AA Milne
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham
    Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
    The Prophet by Khalil Gibran
    David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
    The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel
    Middlemarch by George Eliot
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
    A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzenhitsyn

These are the ones of those listed that I've read, although I truly don't remember The Alchemist much.

There are loads more that I far prefer, although some of the above are truly wonderful. To Kill a Mockingbird has to be right up there with all time bests.

When I was at uni there was "The Canon," the 100 books that should be read. However, it all depended upon which Canon you were referencing! There were three, if I recall.

I would add to the above list, Chinua Achebe's works as well as Wole Soyinka's.

I also love Doris Grumbach, and for an "off the beaten path" read there is Daughters of the Coral Dawn, and The Frontrunner.

I did read the bible for non-religious purposes.

I don't do horror, but have read some Stephen King and Dean Koontz. Not exactly the best of fiction, but good for a beach day, eh? Mostly for that sort of reading (beach, or brain candy reading as one of my profs used to call it) I like Jonathan Kellerman, and Faye Kellerman. Bunches of others here and there.

Easier for me to say what I won't read, and that is pure romance (I LOATHE that stuff!!! ) and westerns. Nope, nope, nope! LOL. To each their own, eh?

I am not ashamed to admit that I love Shakespeare (although do NOT love Romeo and Juliet) and truly enjoy James Joyce... call me weird. :D

I don't get a chance to read for pleasure much right now, but did just spend the weekend on the beach so read a newer Faye Kellerman.

Is this where I confess I didn't much care for the Life of Pi?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast