Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Top 30 Books

Post Thanks / Like
    From a child's time... The Borrowers. They were my favorites!

I didn't much like Harry Potter... I've yet to read the last one.

The Mists of Avalon
    The Bard

Nearly anything by Morgan Llewellyn... love the way she weaves legend, myth and history...

Oh, and Leon Uris... really liked the way he wrote about historical events...made them real...

I read much more as a kid/child/young adult than I do now. I remember a time in my life where I couldn't imagine reading something every single day. My Grandfather allowed me free reign of his library so I read completely inappropriate things for a child! Not that I understood much of some of them... then. Tobacco Road, God's Little Acre, those sorts of things.

Oh, and Anne of Green Gables!

Morte d'Arthur...

Milton, nothing on the list ...

It does have a contemporary feel...

Oh, Amy Tan. Joy Luck Club. Really enjoyed that one.

Tons and tons and tons of stuff, eh?

Doc, I'll try to remember the recommendation. I usually stand blankly in the book store and can't remember ANYTHING that has been suggested when I get the chance to run in.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    i've read 22 of the 30, some were enjoyed far more than others ( some were required reading at the time!) Gone With The Wind, To Kill a Mockingbird, not on the list but, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Chosen some of my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting choices
    Married to a soldier, but in love with a mouse.

Post Thanks / Like
    On that list i've only read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    (I read all three of them on the beach in Spain one year, much to my wife's disgust, who couldn't work out why I wouldn't want to lay watching our soon to be born son kicking inside her tummy)

I don't think I have ever really grown up! I still like a good adventure novel

Wilbur Smith (I have virtually every book, including my prized River God, signed by the man himself after my wife queued for 2 hours in the rain to get the book signed)

Clive Cussler

People like that

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 159794
    I absolutely, absolutely love The Magic Faraway Tree! I still to this day dream of what land is coming to the top of the tree next.
    We be true sisters

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh! Another one from childhood... Sarah Crewe. LOVED her story.

Misty of Chincoteague, and Stormy Her Foal were two others. Then of course the "classics" Black Beauty, Beautiful Joe... (I got in serious trouble once for reading Beautiful Joe in church... :( ).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 159846
    Mari, I'm right with ya. I use to feel like I needed to finish the book, but heck, not no more. If the book is not going well, I toss it. (not in the trash mind you, but off to goodwill it goes, or my mother's)
    yeap.. in our case it just goes back into the book shelf

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 160064
    Oh! Another one from childhood... Sarah Crewe. LOVED her story.
    yes!!! both versions... Sarah Crewe first and then A Little Princess :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mari I love that you have read Shadow of the wind - it was amazing in the translation I can only imagine how stunning it must have been in the original - the characters were just amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 160153
    Mari I love that you have read Shadow of the wind - it was amazing in the translation I can only imagine how stunning it must have been in the original - the characters were just amazing.
    Well, I didnt read it in English, so its hard to compare, but I did love it in Spanish. His prose is outstanding, and he uses so many words, I found myself reaching for the dictionary a couple of times....

I agree, the characters are amazing!!... I still find myself thinking of some of the characters from time to time... they are so real in a way... :)

He has 3 othe rnovels, I havent read them, but according to my dad they arent as good as The Shadow of the Wind

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast