Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Typical british gift

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't mean a teapot made in china, rather the English manufacturers as Deb has mentioned. :)
    What I was thinkning was that the pot and the English tea would be a common ground... It would allow for discussion of how China has influenced the world... that sort of thing. I guess I didn't explain myself very well. :spring:

I would be cautious about bringing food items. Unless you are very familiar with the tastes of the family you are visiting. The Chinese eat significantly different than do we, although Hong Kong is much more westernized than many other places. Sweets and cheese come to mind though...those two don't factor much into their way of eating.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the idea of the Tea Towels and a bonus is that they weigh next to nothing when packed. Both Royal Doulton and Wedgwood have a lot of their manufacturing in China now though and its becoming harder to get the "made in England" pieces. If it was me I would defo go with the Teatowels, a nice english teapot and english tea with a few shortbread biccies thrown in for good measure

Post Thanks / Like
    As Linda said if you do decide on taking some "British" pottery, make sure to look at the backstamp.
    Living around 5 miles from the Wedgwood factory and within a stone`s throw of the Potteries, I am appalled to see that the vast majority of their products [along with those of the Royal Doulton Brand] are in fact manufactured in Indonesia nowadays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 160061
    What I was thinkning was that the pot and the English tea would be a common ground....
    True. True.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the tea, teapot and tea towel - Whittards do some beautiful teapots and some lovely tins to keep the teabags in aswell, actually, i think they might sell tea towels too!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will go to the Wittards outlet store in Chesire oaks- I'm quite limited on luggage as I only have 20kg for 2 weeks!!!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Poppy bought this book for her friend in Boston. It was very funny! Might they appreciate the humour?

Post Thanks / Like
    a bottle of whisky ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with other post, tea, teapot and tea towel would be a lovely gift. :)

1996 All Star Sports Resort
    1998 Sheraton Anaheim (California)
    2001 Carousel Inn (California)
    2007 Disney's Port Orleans Riverside
    2009 Sheraton Park Anaheim (California)
    2012 Azul Sensatori, Riviera Maya (Mexico)
    2013 El Dorando Seaside Suites (Mexico)
    2015 All Star Sports Resort

Post Thanks / Like
    I got his Mum a nice teapot, a blue one with white decorations from Whittards, a box of English Breakfast Tea, and some 'Post' Tea. I got his dad a traditional slab of toffe with the tiny hammer that you use to break it
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast