Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amtrak?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering if anyone has taken Amtrak to get to WDW? I know that it would be easier and much, much quicker with a plane ride, but I'm not huge into flying (not fear of flying, just don't like care for it). So I was thinking about taking Amtrak. It would be a super long ride, but heck, I'm not driving.

Is it considered safe? Is it clean? Thanks for any input anyone can offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not taken the train to FL but I used to ride the train all the time with my grandma. I think it is still considered safe. However, as you know, it's going to take forever and I don't think it's much cheaper than airfare. However, make sure you get a sleeper bed so you can rest.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's definitely not cheaper, but then again, I wouldn't have to fly. Right now it's just a thought. From Chicago, I believe the train goes to DC then to FL. Not sure if I'm into that much of a detour.

Post Thanks / Like
    I loved Amtrak when I was a student. Always clean trains, friendly staff, never short of a passenger to chat to either. I went everywhere on them. I never used a sleeper car - I'd wait till the lounge car cleared for the night then stretch out in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't afford a sleeper anyway. Good to hear positive experiences.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few years ago we took the Auto Train from Florida back to Northern Virginia. The tracks themselves need a lot of work as there seemed to be as lot of bumpiness, that I certainly did not experience when traveling in Europe on the trains. We had a sleeper but neither of us slept well.

From Chicago you would most likely have to go through either DC or NY, although there is an option in which you to to Charlottesville, VA, bus from there over to Richmond and then catch a train in Richmond on to Orlando. It is about 35 hours on the train, but depending on the season could be about as cheap/expensive as flying.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you can go via Pittsburgh too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 163104
    I think you can go via Pittsburgh too.
    Yes she can. Chicago - Pittsburgh (change); Pittsburgh - Philadelphia (change); Philadelphia - Orlando (train comes from NY and stops in DC)

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    It will likely be just me and I would like to make the least amount of stops. I was thinking also that it would be nice to see some of the country again, especially if I go during a time when there is snow on the ground.

I'm an only child, so I learned early on to entertain myself. While it is a long drive I can think of plenty to do.

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    This will show you the stations that are served on the Silver Meteor and Silver Star (Service between NY and Miami)Amtrak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast