1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

News A Disneyworld icon is no longer

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by DisneyFreak, Jun 25, 2014.

1. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Gone but never forgotten. uploadfromtaptalk1403714315991.jpg

2. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

Umm, what was it?

3. DisneyFreak

That is the remains of The Polynesian waterfall in the center of the GCH. :sigh:

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

oh my gosh really? they've really removed it? although there was work there in May, the waterfall was still intact

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

6. keith

let's just hope they have some great ideas for retheming it and it's even better than before. It's always hard when something so iconic gets changed

7. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I hope the new entrance is worth the change

8. keith

agreed :/

Cards on the table, I never thought the polynesian was REALLY worth the money. I enjoyed our stay there but felt it was nothing special once we were out in the rooms. However, I always loved the lobby. The waterfall, the feel, the shops, it was all really great.

Wonder if they'll have finished by the time we next go in November

9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

:-(

I absolutely love the Polynesian. I've only stayed there once but it was wonderful

10. keith

what did it for you Johnie? I keep wondering whether I was just in a grump when we were there and should try it again?

Johnie likes this.
  11. Wendy

I had always wanted to stay there and when we did I was really disappointed. I think for me I was expecting a deluxe hotel but it wasn't. I found it very noisy and there were children everywhere screaming and shouting. Not what I like when going for breakfast :lol:

It was a very pretty hotel though and I think it's a shame they have taken their centrepiece away.

If I stayed onsite again it would be the Grand Floridian.

12. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    My son and his family arrive there today for the second time and they love it

13. Johnie

It's just always feels like home for me. It's been my favorite since we first stepped foot there in 1996 to have breakfast at Minnie's Menahuna (I think I butchered that spelling ). I make a stop there every single time I go to Disney. It doesn't feel like I've been to WDW unless I go there.

The Polynesian is out of my price range typically. We split a room between 4 adults. It was a good size room. We had a walk out patio with the monorail right beside us. Plus I had a duck come visit me every morning. The whole thing just made me happy. But, If rather go to Disney more often and stay in an off site cheapie hotel (clean and safe are really my only requirements) than go just once a year and stay in a deluxe resort. Different priorities for different people.

Keith, I know you love the Contemporary. But it absolutely does nothing for me. I really don't get the allure of Bay Lake Towers either.

As for loud noisy children, go over to a value resort lol. Or anywhere at Disney to be honest.

keith likes this.
  14. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We stayed there for Herself's birthday one year in the concierge section. Underwhelmed. :shrug: But as with Keith, we did always like the main building. :sigh: Surely hope the new look is as impressive as the old was.

15. keith

yep I agree. If the choice is expensive room and once, or cheaper room and often, I'm in the cheap room :lol: heck I'd be fine in a sleeping bag at the MK station but I'd only make the place look untidy :lol:

ah but I can explain, or I think I can! What I love is lieing awake at night and seeing the castle from my bed or sitting out on the balcony listening to the night sounds and watching the castle change colours. I mean it feels so wonderfully connected. Now you can get that from both the contemporary tower or bay lake towers. I don't know anywhere else from which you can get that same close view. Then it comes to going to the MK and you have a 5 min walk across the walkway.

My desktop picture has for ages been a photo from my room at the contemporary at Christmas, across to the Castle. Taken about midnight perhaps, a lone Disney bus carrying back the last of the guests, and the castle changing colours.

In terms of the hotel itself. Does it feel Disney? Nah not really, not to me, it feels like a convention hotel.

So Im always mega careful when I recommend it to people. There are definitely much better places to feel the Disney spirit IMHO, but wow, I just love seeing that castle overnight.

Chef Mickeys. That's all I'm going to say. :lol:

Dizneyblonde likes this.
  16. Johnie

I've seen the prices for the theme park view rooms!

17. keith

yep :( you're 100% right, other than a very occasional bargain, they're extremely excessive. TBH I don't think the room or the hotel really is worth it.... but oh that view

18. Wendy

It's good that we all like different things. I don't think any of the deluxe hotels are worth the money.

On the other hand I can't see myself staying at a value, not because of anything other than it would be to busy chaotic. I guess I like to have peace and quiet when we leave the mania of the parks which is why the Poly was such a disappointment to me. We has a view of the castle if we leant out of the balcony.

This is why a villa is best for me, unless there are neighbours with unruly teenagers :lol:

Chris says that I'm just unsociable :lol:

Tony G and Watchinherskip like this.
  19. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

This photo breaks my heart a little bit. I will be the first to defend the changes Disney makes, but wow - this one hurts. I've never stayed at the Polynesian, but I do love the public spaces. I love the Tambu Lounge, I love grabbing a drink and sitting near those HUGE floor to ceiling windows and just...gazing. Especially during a thunderstorm. I love having dinner at Kona and then wandering outside on to the beach to watch the fireworks. Yes, I find it quite lovely. I hope I still do once they're finished.

Interestingly enough, I have actually been able to find peaceful spots at the Value resorts! I love slipping out of the room while everyone else is sleeping, filling my mug with coffee, and sitting by the (usually empty) pool. I've read for HOURS there uninterrupted. Yes, it can be chaotic (most of the time actually), but there are moments :D

20. DisneyFreak

Keith, I believe it's scheduled to be complete in December.

The Polynesian was my very first Disney resort when I was 8 years old. I never stayed anywhere else until I was 23. There is just something about this resort that IS Disney for me. Whether it's the waterfall in the GCH, the tiki torches at night all around the grounds, the Polynesian music playing in the background...I don't know. It may just be all the memories associated with staying at this resort all those years.

keith likes this.