1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

News A Disneyworld icon is no longer

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by DisneyFreak, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Oh sorry to see that. I, unlike my buddy Becca, abhor change! I loved stepping into the GCH on our very first stay at WDW. We were staying at the Disney Inn at that time (now Shades of Green) and would walk over to the Poly to explore on our way to TTC. We loved it. Ate at Ohana's the first trip. Never thought we could afford it but on one trip scheduled for C. Springs, I get a call from a CM stating there was a problem with our reservation. It seems they overbooked some big convention and were wondering if we could change our plans. I was looking forward to our stay there and was wondering if they were going to place us in a less desireable place. She offered to put us up in the Poly. Me - "Ah are you sure we can't stay at CS?" She - "well, we can honor your reservation but the place will be teaming with a million screaming teenagers" Me - "Ah...hmmm...well I need to ask my wife about this" She - "I understand, I will call you later to see what you wish to do." Me - "oh thank you"

I tell my wife the story. She - "Are you freakin nuts???? Why would you even have to ask???" Me - "I thought you would like input." She - "I seriously worry about you!"

Lesson "Happy wife...happy life!"
    Beccaberry likes this.
  2. Watchinherskip

Oh btw...we really liked our stay there. Very convenient, but it was after a remodel but still felt a bit dated. The pools were awesome. DD Alex had plans to hit the pool despite it being January and about 40 degrees F with a northerly wind about 15 knots. She was insistant on it despite our warnings. She absolutely loved the 80 degree water and almost went into hypothermia on the walk back to our room.

Lesson learned - Always trust your Mom and Dad!!!!:rotfl:
    Beccaberry likes this.
  3. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Here are some better days for the Poly fountain/waterfall.

This was just back in March

uploadfromtaptalk1403801169389.jpg

This was from 1993

uploadfromtaptalk1403801216069.jpg

This one, I believe, is from 1985

uploadfromtaptalk1403801259555.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I love those photos and the story behind them :yes: it makes me realise that Disney is exactly all about memories for me too. I guess that's why change can be so upsetting.
  5. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Is something replacing it?
  6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

some kind of smaller version which would open up the lobby to be less imposing and easier to see through

[​IMG]
    Watchinherskip and robertcraig like this.
  7. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I kinda understand why they would do that to be honest. Still a shame though.
  8. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Cheque's in the post, hon. ;)
  9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Wow. This has to be particularly hard for you then, Disney Freak. :hug2: I completely understand having wonderful memories caught up in a given WDW location. We feel that way about the Beach Club. Our first stay, and what a stay it was.
  10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We put off staying at the Polynesian for a long time. We were always afraid our time spent in Hawaii would spoil it for us, though we've always loved the looks of the lobby and Kona Cafe. We finally did stay one time and we had a beautiful large room in one of the out buildings. It's just normally out of the price we want to pay.
  11. Watchinherskip

I am with you on that John. Don't know if that would be the deluxe option for use. Would much rather, BW, BC, even the contemporary. Of coure would love to try GF!!!!