A question for US car buffs

Discussion in 'Transportation, Travel and Car Rental' started by Slowhand, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Retired
    I`ve just booked our rental car through VA. We normally go for a "Full Size 4 door" and prefer a Dodge Charger if one is available.
    On the Car Hire section on the VA site there is a "Full Size 2 door" option, and it goes on to say "Dodge Charger or equivalent". Is there such a thing as a 2 door Charger? [I`m just curious as I can`t remember ever seeing one!] :confused:

2. Johnie

Johnie Active Member

Vocational Counselor
    We've had a 2 door Charger before. The Mustang we rented once upon a time only had 2 doors as well.

3. uscwest

uscwest Active Member

I think there is a 2 door charger Terry but it's the "equivalent" that is the key here. You should be able to tell them at the counter that you want a 4 door.

4. Taja

Taja New Member

Not a car buff, but I'm thinking the key here is one class for 2-door vehicles and one class for 4-door vehicles. And the word "equivalent."

I wouldn't count on a specific make unless it is specifically contracted, such as an exotic or high performance vehicle. Most of the rental companies regularly substitute one vehicle make/model for another within the same class.

5. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Two door can denote ragtop, but not always. Two door is very heavy, and not conducive to folks in the back seat at all. Don't know if that is a factor for you?

6. Slowhand

Slowhand Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Retired
    The main reason for us hiring a 4 door is that with the copious amount of luggage that we carry with us, the rear doors allow us to dump a couple of cases onto the rear seat more easily.
    The main reason behind my original question was really only to find out if indeed a Dodge Charger came in a 2 door variant, or if this was an error on VA`s part.

7. uscwest

uscwest Active Member

Terry, the Dodge website DOES NOT show a two door Charger.