1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

A Week in Turkey

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by simonwebb74, May 25, 2010.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Well everyone I know who has been raves about it and says what a great place it is, The culture and history is just immense

2. simonwebb74

simonwebb74 Earning my ears

There are a wide range of kebabs normally chicken or lamb, kofte which is a type of meatball, there are a number of casserole type dishes again chicken or lamb. Pide which can only be sescribed as Turkish Pizza and flat breads.

I love the cross over of cuisines, we walked past an Itialian restaurant and on the menu was Chicken Shish Kebab Pizza. I had to try it, it was lovelly!!

3. simonwebb74

Absolutely, they are a very proud nation and also, in my experience, a very friendly nation.

The history is immense, I have been amazed at some of the places I have seen there, one place that sticks in my mind is Epheseus an entire city excavated from the ground. Walking around the streets and going in and out of the buildings there is something I will never forget. Definately somewhere you just have to visit if you are anywhere near the area.

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh that all sounds very delicious! :yes: I like kebabs and dishes of that sort. Do you know what type of spices they use? I'm guessing that given the geographic location it's similar to other cuisine flavors in the region?

Do they use yogurt based sauces at all?

Do you have any photos of the food? :D :D :D

5. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

I know this is a Disney forum but I love reading about these different places :yes: isnt someone going to Kenya as well?

6. Tink

Yes, our Skywatcher is! :yes:

Yes, Disney brings us together that's for certain, but we do like to share in other aspects of our members lives, as much as they feel comfortable sharing.

So, we'll encourage folks to tell us about their non-Disney holidays, celebrate the birth of their chidren, their weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, other milestones or imporant events in their lives, and mourn their losses.

It's about the full spectrum of friendship, isn't it? :yes:

7. simonwebb74

They use a lot of cumin, paprika, oregano etc.

Yogurt based dips tend to come with pretty much all meat dishes and also with the potato skins (Which are literally fried strips of potato skin)

I'm not sure if we have any photos, I will have a look later.

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I was last in Turkey in the late '70s. I remember visiting Kusadasi and Ephesus. We were on a cruise and when we were walking through the port to catch our bus I remember the kids tugging on our sleeves begging us to buy this or that for just a "buck".

I also had a good friend, a bartender at the Officer's Club in Stuttgart, who was Turkish and he used to take groups of us to a Turkish restaurant in Stuttgart where all we ever had to pay for was the alcohol. Loved the food.

I would love to be able to go back to Turkey some day and see other parts of it.

9. Tink

Thank you Simon. It sounds very delicious. Fried potato skins...hmmm... I'd try them. :yes:

10. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

There is a lot of crossover with turkish and greek foods. Of course that is probably due to all the fighting between the countries. I'm sure I'd love the food.

We are Greek on dad's side of the family. My dad was trying to get family records a couple of years back and he was told he would need to contact the Turkish embassy....dad was not happy at all.

11. simonwebb74

I have finally found the time to look through the photos we took so here are a few of them

Attached Files: