1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Afraid to admit but I am afraid to fly

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by tinkmidas, Oct 25, 2012.

1. tinkmidas

tinkmidas Earning my ears

Yes I have said it I am so afraid to fly. I try and try to tell myself it will all be fine. But I am such a control freak it doesnt work. Does anyone have any comforting words that I can think of so I dont think the worse. :surrender:

2. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Well, not really comforting words but I understand because Im terrified of flying, to the point where I dont sleep 2-3 nights before

What helps is to just meditate, do yoga, take some deep breaths and focus on the wonderul time we will have when we reach our destination

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

I work with someone who hates flying, he normally takes relaxing medication before he gets on the flight. He finds this really helps him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I know the feeling and have had cognitive behaviour therapy in the past for this reason. It has not cured my fear but I have the tools to get through the flight. Might be worth seeing if you can try that?

5. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

My DW was the same way. Terrified of the thought of flying. But when her son said he was getting married in Las Vegas, she knew she had to do something as we were going.

So, she researched around the web and found this free online course setup by an airline captain. The website doesn't look that hot but the course materials are first rate. (He does offer a DVD for sale but you don't have to buy it. The course materials are right on his site and completely free.)

I was so impressed with the results from this course that I did something I never do. I wrote a lengthy email to Captain Stacey Chance (who provides the course) extolling the virtues of his course. Here's the verbatim text of what I said to him:

I know I sound like a commercial for this guy but his course really did work wonders for my DW.

Tom :)macwave:... maybe it could help you too!)

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Tom that truly sounds like a remarkable course. Glad that it helped your wife get over her fears. I've been flying now for so many years (I started as a child) that it no longer concerns me. We were on one of the first flights out of DC after 9/11 and never felt safer. Donna doesn't like to fly but will if she has too.

7. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i may just look at that before my trip, it never hurts to reinforce positive thoughts! thanks Tom

8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

There's more car crashes than plane crashes.