1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Airline etiquette?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by dvcjane, Jul 5, 2009.

1. dvcjane

dvcjane Imagineer

I know this is a touchy subject but last year we had some really obnoxious people in front and behind us :(

the ones in front reclined their seat for the whole journey which is fine theyre allowed to I guess since theyve paid but then when we reclined just a little bit the woman behind went mad with us. Finally it took two attendants to calm her down at least a little but she was still kicking off the whole journey and I was quite scared

The thing is, because the people in front had reclined we had no choice we couldnt eat, drink or even see the screen without reclining ourselves. We didnt even recline the whole way :(

The attendant said to the woman behind if theyd asked would it have been ok and she said no way should anyone put their seat in my face

Im quite worried about the next trip so what do you all do?

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Ugh this can be such a touchy subject for many people. IMO, I don't think anyone should recline their seat. Really, there is just not enough room to do that. If you must recline your seat, it would be nice to give the people behind you a bit of warning. Alysia got her head smashed by a seat that just came whipping back. I've had a drink spill on me when someone reclined.

Edited to add that I have only flown domestically. I couldn't imagine what people do on an international flight. I would hope there is more room between seats.......

3. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

mmmm i am a polite recliner, put it back a smidge when just sitting watching tv- always up when it's time to eat but for afternoon nap/night flight i do recline but i look behind me first. If everyone stuck to those rules imo there wouldn't be a problem

4. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

On short haul I believe you shouldn't. It won't kill you to not recline, but for long haul it is no fun sitting upright through the night for 10 hours :( Sooooooooo I do recline late into the flight but not all the way, I also look behind me to see if there is room for me to do it so it doesn't leave the person too uncomfortable, as if they are larger build I don't recline as much as I would if it was a small child but even then I wouldn't recline the whole way. I don't know how else to get around this.

5. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Here here... if it's during the day I tell them that I am about to recline but that it won't be for too long so don't worry and if you need me to sit up so you can get out then by all means wake me up.

6. princess-pink

princess-pink Earning my ears

I really hate it if someone does it to me (especially 1 hour in to the flight), so I don't do it unless the lights have gone out and it's clearly sleeping time like the middle of the night on the homeward trip, but I do ask first.

Sometimes I can be naughty, when the person in front starts to recline, I push against them and then they think its broken and it won't go back, so they give up and stay up straight! ha ha

I'm too excited on the way out to relax anyway!

7. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

ive always reclined and mostly the whole way and the whole flight, had no problems ever but would never stay reclined even one click at meal times everybody should have their seat fully up, and the stewards/esses should tell everyone who hasnt to put them back up

sorry PP i totally think that stopping someone from reclining is not the way to go about things. EVERYBODY is entitled to recline if the seat gives you the option to, the seat is paid for and should and can be used for that purpose JMHO :)

also you have to take into account that some people cannot sit bolt upright all the time on a longhaul flight, i know i cant :)

8. simonwebb74

simonwebb74 Earning my ears

Being a taller person I am pretty crammed into airline seats as it is.

I, as a matter of course now, wedge my knees against the seat back in front for a while at the beginning of the flight untill the person in front gives up trying to recline.

In my opinion economy seats should have fixed backs, there isn't really enough room to move as it is let alone when the seat in front is reclined.

9. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

it's ok if people are good mannered about doing so but we had people on our last flight both outwards and on the return journey that fully reclined - no warning given - all seats just appeared in our faces leaving us no room to settle down for the journey. the boys were struggling to get comfy in the little space they had left and DS then 5 was getting quite upset but the people in front just didn't care.

Even at meal times we had to ask them to put their seats up so we could eat and drink. That was wrong and the crew should have told them to like they used to in the old days!

Good manners go a long way and unfortunately some people just don't have them....:thumbsdown:

10. ukwdwnut

there is if everyone reclines lol

11. simonwebb74

The biggest problem is people who recline when they don't even need to.

I was on a flight to Mexico when the kids in front reclined there seats all the way back as soon as they could, then spent most of the flight sat upright in the chair playing with games consoles.

I dont necessarily agree with smacking children, but I was sorely tempted!!

12. ukwdwnut

simon whether they need to or not is imaterial imo they have the option so why not, and i think its more rude trying to stop them

13. princess-pink

Sorry ukwdwnut, should only be allowed at sleep/night time, when someone puts their seat in my face its too close to watch the tv screen, so then that forces me to recline into someone else which I am not happy to do & which is not fair on them, it's like a row of dominos, one sets the rest off.

Seems most people on here have my thoughts dvcjane, johnie, crayola, simonwebbe, mumof2.

Would be better if the seats were fixed then we would be all in the same boat (well plane!)

People are just so selfish and rude, I remember coming back from a skiing trip on a bus with a broken arm, my best friend and her husband sat in the front seat which was infront of me, she reclined her seat into my plastered up arm, when I asked her to sit up her reply was 'ooh I can't I need to stretch out, my legs are all cramped' and she had all that extra room infront of her!

14. ukwdwnut

some people cant sit bolt upright tho can they so they recline, as long as they arent rude about it but its worse when people try to stop them with a knee in the back etc surely thats not right!!!

this is a very touchy subject and can go on and on tooing and frowing it will always upset someone tho

15. simonwebb74

I agree that if you have the option you use it. That is why I personally would be quite happy if airlines had fixed back seats in economy.

16. ukwdwnut

but what if people have back probs and need to recline??? 9hrs is a long time to sit bolt upright

17. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

no offence intended towards you Mick, but it really annoys me when you hear people onboard saying 'I paid for my seat so I can do what I like with it' - we've all paid, so why should they be able to take up the little space we all have?

As I said, no offence to you Mick! :hug2:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  18. ukwdwnut

im not taking an offense at all mum :D

but im not saying you can do what you want with it at all just if the option to recline is there then use it

ok when i reclined fully on all my trip ive not had a problem but if someone behind asked me politely to move it up a bit then sure thats not a problem....why shouldnt people be allowed to recline their seat if they are going to be more comfortable. another reason is disabled peolpe may neen to recline would you not allow them to and be nasty to them as well like some are grabbing hair, kneeing in the back and the like just coz they dont like them reclining??

19. princess-pink

Yay! hear hear! mumof2

What's happened to common courtesy and care towards other people?

quote Mick "why shouldnt people be allowed to recline their seat if they are going to be more comfortable" - which then makes the person behind UNCOMFORTABLE!! DON'T YOU GET IT!! ME ME ME!

20. ukwdwnut

sorry PP there is not a need for attitudes on this site im not getting all het up by people who dont want others to recline so why are you?? people have an option to recline or not to recline thats what im saying and i take up that option if theres one there if i want to. who is anyone to say im not allowed to if the seat reclines??