1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Airline etiquette?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by dvcjane, Jul 5, 2009.

1. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

As airlines try to crowd more and more seats into, what to me are already, too crowded planes, this subject is going to be more and more touchy.

I have had the opportunity to do a LOT of flying in my life, starting when I was a child, because my dad worked for the airlines. Also as a result of that I got to do a lot of First Class flying, where there has always been lots of room.

I love window seats but have gotten to the point where if I'm not flying either first or business class, and I can't afford this very often, and I'm not flying with Donna I will ask for an aisle seat so I disrupt as few people as possible if I need to get up. No I don't like it when someone reclines in my face but there isn't much I can do about it. And yes the flight attendants should ask these people to bring their seats upright during meal and beverage service. If the seat in front of me is reclined and I have to get up I can't do that from a reclining position myself so I may have to disturb that person to get out of and back into my seat. As I've aged I'm not as flexible as I once was.

Yes, I do believe we need a lot more courtesy on flights, especially those of the short variety but unless the airlines quit trying to crowd more seats on the plane I fear this is something we will just have to live with. :surrender:

2. tb2830

tb2830 Addicted to Mickey

i wouldnt dream of reclining my seat fully to make someone else's journey uncomfortable ive been bought up with manners and consideration to others.

3. princess-pink

princess-pink Earning my ears

I don't have an attitude, just airing my views.

I am 'het up' (if you want to call it that) because I strongly dislike a seat in my face. Obviously you're not getting 'het up' because you clearly accept it.

I'm not saying anyone can't do it, but I personally find it uncomfortable & almost claustrophobic.

I also think it can done in a very rude and selfish way. That's just my opinion, and I realise we all are different, so I end my comments there with no offence directed to anyone, we are all entitled to our view.

:surrender: PS are we still friends?

4. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

I remember one flight where the person behind me put her feet up in that space between my seat and the one beside me. YUCK! Why on earth would anyone do something so rude?

And then there's the little kid that continually kicked the back of my seat the entire flight, and the parents get upset with me if I politely ask the child to stop.

And when the person in front of me reclines their seat so their head is practically in my lap, well, I tend to go to the restroom more than usual so I can press down on their seat back as I get up, or I give it a good "bump" as I attempt to get in and out of my seat. And when they look at me like I've inconvenienced them, why, what did little old innocent me do??? I am not normally a rude person, and I try to be as courteous as possible. But even my limits can be pushed...

5. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i did get the impression with the capialised me me me text that there maybe an attitude in the way it was said......thats ok then :lol: :hug2: i dont get het up because im not that type of person not just because i recline and agree with it :)

i should state that i dont fully recline unless at night just a few notches tho, maybe halfway

when someone fully reclines in front of me i just recline mine i really dont mind if someone does that its their perogative if they so wish but ive never encountered a full recliner the whole flight

oh i know it can be done in a rude way ive seen it happen and its so not called for you dont have to have an attitude or be rude when you recline

no offense taken PP really, was only getting my views across too :D

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I fly very often for work. I've had a seat back come crashing down in my laptop (when open) and I immediately told the man that did it he needed to put his seat upright as he had hit my laptop, and I was trying to work. He did, and never said a word. That is the first time I've said anything to anyone about that subject. I do my best to fly in first class, but can't always purchase an upgrade, so it makes it tricky in coach class.

I don't recline as it hurt my back! LOL! The angle of the seat back when reclined is very uncomfortable for me.

On over seas flights it would be a whole other ball game. I don't recall reclining, and I was in the first row of seats directly behind the divider wall so didn't have to deal with anyone reclining into me...

I've had people recline back (when I was in the window seat) and it was a dreadful flight (cross country) as a result. Since then I've always taken the aisle seat which seems to help a bit. I've had people ask me to trade out the aisle for the window and I've declined. In coach it's just too crowded when someone reclines into the passenger in the window seat.

Courtesy for all is the key. Unfortunately, very little of that seems to be prevalent in the world today. :(

7. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Greedy airlines cramming people into their flying cans like sardines are to blame :(

8. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

we did Mike, Two different families of four, one on the way out, one on the way back. All of them.......for the whole flight. Apart from when *we* asked them to sit up at meal breaks. :nono:

9. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

This is why I pay that bit more to upgrade... just a tad more room makes a huge difference. I have actually paid for an empty seat on this next flight, it was cheaper to do that than to upgrade, however the upgrades had gone, so I decided to purchase an extra seat so it is in front of me and no one can sit in it and recline on me.

10. ukwdwnut

i know its a hard one but they are entitled to if they want to i guess, BUT saying that its a different ball game i spose if your sitting behind so all you can do if they wont put the seat up a tad is recline yourself. i dont think apart from meal times you can force people to not recline, or recline fully

11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Oh I completely agree.

I will sit in the exit row if at all possible just because there is so much leg room! Of course, I then spend the rest of the flight praying I won't need to actually do anything :tongue: Just joking....I am probably the best one for an emergency anyways.

I know this is a touchy subject. I do think there should be some sort of disability seating on airplanes. Some people need accomodations (like reclining the seat or more leg room). I had to sit in the very front row of our last flight so I could have a place to stretch out my right leg. I have a torn miniscus and having my leg in a bent position for a couple of hours would have probably left me unable to walk off the plane.

12. uscwest

I TOTALLY agree with this. When I was in Albuquerque in March 2008 and tore my knee up the plane ride back was very uncomfortable. I could not bend my knee and there was literally no place to put my leg.

13. uscwest

How did you guarantee that the empty seat is in front of you? Can't the airline decide which seat they will leave empty if the plane is full? Just curious.

14. ukwdwnut

is that wth VA CD...you know that any booked seat is not guaranteed to be your seat when you book in dont ya?

15. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

It has been crossed referenced and the airline know about it and why I want it. It's to do with my op. So it's been guaranteed that I have it. (Thomas Cook)

16. ukwdwnut

oh ok thats cool then :D

so you cant stick it out the window then :lol:

17. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I honestly NEED to recline...

I get nauseous on planes, and reclining and tilting myhead back seems to help..

Also, I have knee problems, and sitting in the same position for a long time just kills me, so reclining gives me the chance to flex my knee, pull it under me, etc...

However, having said that, I DO tilt the seat back up for meals, or if the person behind me needs to get out of their seat.

I honestly dont believe I could survive a 12hour flight (from Mexico City to London) or 13hr to Paris, without being able to recline.... but that doesnt mean that Im rude or that I dont consider other people's needs....

18. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yep. :yes: See? There are always multiple, differing perspectives that are just as valid as the next.

Really, it all boils down to being polite, doesn't it? :yes:

19. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

And we could certainly use more politeness in this world that we all share.

20. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

amen