1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Airline etiquette?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by dvcjane, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I have a curve in my spine. I cannot sit bolt upright for 9 hours. I have to tilt back a bit sometimes. :shrug:

2. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I'm always more worried about how small the seats themselves are getting :unsure:

I realize after 2 kids that I am getting a bit bigger, but not that big..and not that fast either!:thumbsdown:

3. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

absolutely!

I wouldn't deny anybody the right to recline but please, just be polite about it and think of the people behind you that are affected by your actions :thumbsup:

(P.S. that's just a general remark, not aimed at anybody here!) :D

4. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

Can i just ask that you think sometimes. Some people for medical reasons may need to be in recline. We always have to recline dd once in the air as she has no sitting ability at all. Sadly days of economy and i think flying after this year are over for her. I always let the person behind know we have to recline her and if there are a number of us with always ask for a family member to sit there. Can i also say just because bulhead seating on some flight look like they have better leg room the actually do not. You do not get the chance is you are able to stretch your legs right out. Yes they are fine for me being 5ft 4inches but no good for someone over 6 ft. My uncle actually moved last time he flew with me.

5. Mike

Mike Imagineer

NW UK, handy for the Lakes, Dales, Peak District a
    There's no 'one-size-fits-all' answer to this, except that courtesey and consideration will generally smooth over most problems... I am well over 6' and can't manage the default-upright position for more than an hour or two. So I recline, and will try to accommodate the people behind me. When flying with a family group, usually 6 of us, we always try to book seats that lie behind each other, and ideally at the start or end of a run, so that I can recline in my shorter relatives' faces!

6. jojo

jojo Imagineer

I was reading another forum once when this topic got really out of hand and nasty, its lovely to see that everyone here can talk about things like this without shouting at each other :hug2:

7. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

I agree, Michelle.

I have to recline DS seat as following complex spinal surgery he cannot sit upright for 9 hours and sadly I can't afford to upgrade to PE/UCS every time. I totally object to the person behind thinking they have the right to repeatedly kick/push his seat...this has happened on more than one occasion.

I will recline mine at times during the flight just to change position but always sit upright at mealtimes.

This is always a hot topic of debate and we are all entitled to our point of view :)

8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

If you are going to mention me as agreeing with you then please get it right. I said I thought people shouldn't put the seat back on domestic flights (since that is the only way I have travelled). The flights I take are less than 2 hours at a pop. I have NOT flown internationally and I can't imagine being cramped up in the little space and not reclining. I would actually be walking the aisles cause I cannot sit still that long period.

I also said that there are plenty of people with disabilities and other medical reasons who may need to recline so the airlines really should have some sort of disability seating to accomodate people.

I can certainly see all points of view on this subject. I however think politeness and courtesy for one's neighbor are all together lacking in this society. I wouldn't mind someone reclining so much if they gave me a heads up that they were going to do it. I don't like being beaten in the head (which happened to my DD) because someone just flipped back withotu even looking. It's the general rudeness of people today that bothers me more than anything. I happened to upgrade my seat on one flight only to have the kid behind repeatedly kick the back of my seat :nono: I turned around and said to the child, "please stop kicking my seat". His dad tells me that he is 11. EXACTLY!! Certainly old enough to know better.