1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Airlines may scrap frequent flier schemes

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by keith, Jul 13, 2008.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/nati...9b5fd0e11a13558/Air Miles 'under threat'.aspx

Air Miles 'under threat'

Frequent flyer Air Miles programmes could be scrapped by airlines due to new accountancy rules and the economic climate, it has been disclosed.

Airlines must place a much higher cost on their frequent flyer programmes, concierge company WhiteConcierge said.

This and high fuel prices could lead to airlines selling off all or part of their schemes or restricting them to a more select group, the company said.
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Ive seen this all over the place and its obvious that some airlines are already starting down the route. Virgin for example is offering far fewer and less advantageous discounts than they used to.

I think if anyone has a ton of miles left, better use them up sooner than later
  4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i'm using mine in about 3 weeks time. Have enough for 'free' BA flights for the 4 of us!!
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

:( Isn't that the way. I've been saving mine hoping for enough for two to fly to Ireland. :( Bet by the time I get them saved, the program will be discontinued. :(
  6. Tink2

Tink2 Earning my ears

I hope not, we've been saving ours with Continental and after this summers flights we are just a leg away from a free transatlantic flight:fingers:
  7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

:( that's the last thing I want to hear, I know Virgin are cutting back, but this seems to be mostly at school holiday times, so it doesn't really affect us. I really hope this doesn't happen, it will be the end of our long haul trips :sigh; :( Chris can't fly economy because he of his back and that he is so tall. We can only afford it because of the companion flight.

We are saving our miles for Australia, we have loads, enough for me Upper Class and on our way for Chris.
  8. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

To be honest we have looked at using miles for New York and it was only a few pounds more to book without. We also tries to use the companion flight and it was dearer :rolleyes008:. I am still saving for uc flights with Virgin but it looks like BA might be cheaper.