1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Airport hotels

Discussion in 'General' started by Britchick, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

do you always stay over night in an airport hotel? I must admit we always do now because of worry about missing the plane due to traffic. Plus to allow for traffic we'd have to leave before we went to bed :lol:

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We always stay overnight in a hotel.

We have a 4 hour plus drive to the airport so we just couldn't take the chance of driving up before the flight, there are too many things that could go wrong.

I think it's more relaxing as well, staying in a hotel, it feels like the holiday has started.

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

If Donna and I are taking international or long haul flights it is not unusual for us to overnight at a hotel near the airport. We aren't much more than an hour from any of our airports here but traffic has been known to be nightmarish.

4. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I live about 1h15m away from Gatwick, which is plenty close enough to drive there the morning of the flight.

Two trips ago, however, I had a scary experience trying to navigate some very heavy traffic. By the time I had parked the car and taken the bus to the terminal, I was late for the flight! By the grace of God, the flight was delayed 20mins, which was just enough for the lady at check-in to allow me on.

That whole trip I started considering whether it would be best to go the night before but instead, I just decided to leave at silly o'clock, which has not only been successful but also really comfortable.

5. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Always, even though we're less than an hour from Gatwick.

Last year we stayed at Gatwick Manor the night before. It's a Premier Inn so it's a chain hotel but it's more than adequate for us. The pub next door has a fantastic restaurant - you need to book in advance.

We just wanted somewhere to stay the night before and we ended up with an extremely pleasant stay and this is our first choice now without a doubt. It's about a 10 minute drive from the south terminal (or 20 if Adrian's driving and doesn't read the signs).

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

No, the Richmond airport is less than 30 minutes away.

7. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

you can't beat a good premier inn! All I really want is clean and comfortable and on the whole they deliver on that

8. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Living in Scotland it makes really good sense to go the day before. We always stay at the Hilton and do twilight check in the night before. Just a 5 minute walk to the terminal and it's only once on the place I begin to relax a bit. Going the day before adds another day to your holiday and is really exciting (I know I'm sad aren't I?)

9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i think a lot of people think the same thing including myself.

10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Only 45mins from Manchester airport so I've never seen the point BUT I would if Virgin offered twilight checkin there

11. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We're a good 3/4 hours away from any of the airports so we always stay overnight.

12. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

for the first time this year we've booked to fly from manchester as it was a lot cheaper than birmingham.we are thinking of going the night before & stayin in a hotel but dont know if to drive or book taxi.does it cost alot to leave car at airport as we've never done this before & would be away for 3 weeks any help on this would be great

keith likes this.
  13. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

usually i find that getting a hotel/parking deal is generally not a lot more than the parking on it's own. I've used holiday extras in the past to get an idea of who provides the deals then gone straight to the hotel website and booked through them.

14. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Airport parking is a lot like flights - the earlier you book, the cheaper it is.

I've recently booked three weeks well in advance that cost me only £10 more than a single week booked a month before travelling.

I always book airport parking as soon as I have booked the flights.

15. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

I LOVE stopping in a Hotel/Inn the night before, that's when my holiday really starts. I hit the airport shops that evening too and it really gets me into the holiday spirit. Love it.

piglet likes this.
  16. mikelufc

mikelufc Earning my ears

Flying out of Dublin this year and we live over 2 hours away do going to stay over the night before.

Just means we can start our holiday a day earlier!!

Wendy likes this.