airport security, just saying...

Discussion in 'Transportation, Travel and Car Rental' started by Isafari, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Isafari

Isafari Well-Known Member

...on our way out of Manchester for our latest trip, all electronic devices had to be taken from our carry on bags. Liquids were put in a seperate clear bag and they were put separate on the tray. Shoes/belts/jackets were removed. I also got patted down and Dave had his hand luggage searched. Also the presence of armed police was obvious.

On the way out of Orlando International....liquids didn't have to be separated, ipads didn't come out of bags, i was told i didn't have to remove footwear etc :shrug:

2. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    It's very weird isn't it, the difference. I agree with you, in Oct/Nov Manchester was crazy. I had a bit of a GRRRRR when I asked one guy about taking the laptop and ipad out. He grumped "what it says on the signs", I said ok both out? "*NO* JUST LAPTOP".... I said ok, leave it in its case or not and he just ignored me. So left the laptop in its case but in a tray and left the ipad in the carry on. Then the carry on got diverted because it had the ipad in, and some grumpy woman moaned that the laptop was in a case. Is it too much to ask to politely have a conversation with these people to make sure I'm doing what they want?

Both went through the annoying machine and dw was patted down as well. Then her hand luggage was completely unpacked and checked with a drugs wand. Nothing found of course and then we were left to repack everything.

Orlando we sailed through, did the scanner machine thing and somewhat alarmingly I noticed that it had highlighted something on my shoulder with an alert. I stopped, the guy said, why you stopping? I said I didnt know if it had been ok or not? he said it often highlights things that arent there, move along.

but but but if it often highlights things and they ignore it then surely that means they could ignore something actually there :(

I dunno. It's inconsistent and weird.

3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomness :D
    Yep jobsworths gone barmy I feel.

4. robertcraig

robertcraig Well-Known Member

retired
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Last year at Glasgow all electronic devices had to be removed and shoes and belts but at Sandford it was different and I was told because I was older I didn't need to take my shoes off

5. Esmeralda

Makes no sense?

6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I always get patted down in the UK, so I'm used to it, I don't have to take my shoes off though and I go through with my sticks which sets all the alarms off :lol: I don't in the US, my sticks go through the x-ray machine and they give me theirs so I can walk through the scanner.

I don't see a problem with having to take the laptops, ipads out, we've been doing it for years, so it's second nature. You are supposed to do it in the US as well, so if you haven't then I guess you have been very lucky.

There was something in the paper last year that said all laptops, ipads etc must be removed from hand luggage and there was talk about having to turn them on, don't know if they have enforced that though.

Having to take belts and shoes off has been going on for years as well, all Chris does is he doesn't wear a belt anymore and wears shoes that are easy to slip his feet in and out of.

I'd rather go through all these security measures than something happen on the plane I was flying on.

Chris has had his laptop swabbed before but that was because he sighed and moaned when flying internally in the UK :lol:

7. keith

Home Page:
    you're right, it's been going for years but the trouble is the inconsistency around it. For example, the US very specifically says ipads don't need to be taken out, but the UK says yes.. or no, depending who you get. If you take an ipad out in the states, they'll sometimes grump at you "dont need that in a tray".

You're supposed to take laptops out but in the states they dont mind them staying in their soft case, the UK seems to care.

Then in the US they don't like anything else being in the tray with the laptop, but in the UK if you DONT put other stuff in the tray you get a grumpy look because you're using more trays than you have to... EXCEPT sometimes if you cover it with a jacket, then they wont like it either.

I do try and do what you're probably thinking I should ;-) and just remove everything, put them all in separate trays and hope but you know what I'm like and the amount of tech I take with me! It takes ages and even then doesnt always satisfy them :(

yes and no :) completely depends who's there when you go and how they feel! and it can be at security before or after you go through AND/OR it can be at the gate as you go through to get to the aircraft :(

yeah agreed I ALWAYS do that

yeah I DO agree, I just wonder how effective really :/

8. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    Security get me with EVERYTHING! I carry a laptop, my shoes are laced, my belt buckle is chunky metal and I wear a metal bracelet that cannot be removed.

Last trip, I thought I'd beat the system by wearing slip-on deck shoes and not wearing a belt, removing two of the pinchpoints, at least. I hated walking airport distances in my deck shoes and it felt like my jeans were about to cause me considerable embarrassment every few steps.

I've since gone back to my old way and just allow a little extra time... although I still hate removing and rethreading my belt.

9. keith

Home Page:
    What I don't quite understand is ok, metal belts/shoes etc caused the metal detector to beep and they didnt know what caused it but with these new millimeter scan things, they get an exact image with problem areas marked on it. So surely we should just keep the belt/shoes on and they will be able to see whats what anyway. Perhaps then the problem would be stuff hidden behind a belt :/

10. robertcraig

retired
    I remember seeing a man struggling to keep his trousers up while holding his belt shoes and hand luggage very funny

11. Wendy

:lol: you do see some sights at the airport :lol:

12. Esmeralda

At East Midlands airport last year we had to turn our ki dles on when we placed them in the tray. I always get felt up as I go through.

13. keith

Home Page:
    I was struggling along holding my pants up going through security when a lady said to me "awwww love you lost a lot of weight then?" I said nah, but I think I got someone elses pants at security! should've seen the lock of shock and horror :lol:

14. robertcraig

retired
    Like it

15. Wendy

:laugh: Keith