1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Isafari, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Anyone dined at Akershus before? If so, what did you think of it.

It's a place I've never considered eating at in the past but the menu looks ok. Am I correct in thinking that everyone gets the same starter and desert, you then choose your own main course?

Do you have to sit at a table with other guests or would we get a table for two?

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

If you don't like Princesses, this is possibly not the place to go as it is a Character Meal with the Princesses.

Links to menus are below:

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

3. Isafari

It's not that we don't like the princesses, we just like the faceless characters way better.
    Looking for somewhere to eat at Epcot that we've never tried before and the menu looked ok. I'm one of those fussy eaters so quite a few of the restaurants we've never tried before.

4. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Akershus used to be my favourite restaurant inside WDW before they brought the princesses in to the equation. I have no idea why they did (well, yes I do really) as princesses have no place in Norse mythology. :) I loved the food and it was often known as Epcot's hidden gem. It was a haven of peace and quiet and all the family loved it.
    I couldnt believe what a mad house it had become when we tried it our visit before last. The food had gone down the pan, there were far more tables and as princesses arent our thing, it definitely was a mistake to return. All in all, we hated it, but to be fair, all the little girls around us were in heaven.

Mags

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I'm agreeing with you a lot at the moment Mags :lol: but yep :( we hated it last time with the princesses. It WAS great pre-characters but now it's just a place to hold parents hostage until they've paid the requisite price for their kids to see the princesses.

6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I used to love love love Akershus before they bought in the princesses and dropped the buffet. Ate there 3 times in one trip once. Totally ruined now.

7. Isafari

Thanks for the replies guys. I think we'll just stick to counter service.....the pain being we like different places so we have to sit through four meals on one day to get lunch and dinner each :shrug1:

Used to like Rose and Crown until they changed menu. I have booked Nine Dragons for our other day at Epcot

8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Have you tried Biergarten? I think it's pretty good. You do sit with others but its not like you have to chat with them.

Have you tried Teppan Edo?

9. Isafari

We did Biergarten a couple of years back but didn't much like having to sit with strangers.

teppan Edomite really isn't my cup of tea Johnie. I'm way too fussy :lol:

10. Johnie

It's very basic though.

11. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

You are! :) Now, I wouldnt have minded a marauding handsome Vikings theme or even a Pirates character theme in Akershus instead . It would have fitted as well as any princess theme in a Norse banqueting hall. We have enough options for princesses in WDW. A little bit of Mr Depp would do nicely.

It was fantastic Dawn. I remember getting my recommendation from the Unofficial Guide (pre internet days) and it was the best meal we had at WDW.

Mags

12. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

We actually really enjoy Akerhus, granted we never visited before it was a character breakfast.

We have done both breakfast and lunch.

For breakfast there is a buffet with fruit and cheese and deli meats, and then if I remember correctly they bring a large plate for all your table with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, etc...

For lunch you also get a starter buffet with salad options, cheese, deli meats, even some caviar and then you choose your appetizer and dessert. We thought the food was pretty good, and since our kids eat regular adult food and prefer it over burgers, fries and nuggets, it was a great place to be able to give them a decent meal.

The princesses for us make this place a must do, although it CAN get crazy busy. We still think its worth it.... but, if I didnt have 2 little princesses in tow, we would probably head to Bistro de Paris (or whatever it is called nowadays) instead!

13. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

My understanding from CM friends is that Disney chose to have a Princess character greet there because it's the only castle in EPCOT.

I did like the "old" Akershus buffet, but haven't been since so can't compare to now. I'm not a huge character meal person, so there's no real allure for me to want to dine there.

14. Johnie

Ohhhh Vikings and perhaps a troll or two would make this more fun!

15. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I wouldn't describe Vikings as 'fun' lol

16. Johnie

Lol well they would be Disneyfied

17. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

Never eaten at Akershus, but Nine Dragons was really good the last time we were there. My husband and I were beyond happy with our meal. :)

18. Isafari

:yes: Nine Dragons is a fairly recent favourite of ours.