1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Alamo at MCO

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Isafari, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Have decided to rent a car with Alamo through US Rent A Car.
    Am I correct in thinking that Alamo let you choose your own car within your category?

Anyone had any bad experiences with Alamo at MCO?
  2. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

They do, Diane! After you complete your paperwork and payment, the agent will tell you what rows are available for your class.

You'll probably have better selection if you arrive mid-morning to mid-afternoon. Due to time differences, we arrive pretty late in the day and selection is limited. We're frequently upgraded to the next class--which I don't always like! :lol: I'm very much a compact car person unless there's good reason to drive something larger! :)
  3. Isafari

Thanks Taja....unfortunately, it's going to be about 7pm when we get to car hire :( We usually just get the smallest car as there's only the two of us.

Where is Alamo situated in the airport? (we normally use Virgin...is it near)
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  4. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

I have no idea, Diane! I just follow the signs!

It's on the same floor as the other car rental agencies, a different floor than the main baggage claim, walking toward the parking structure. A very short walk from the Alamo counter to the exit and on toward the parking structure.

The Alamo counter can be horrendously slow. Other than the hard upsell insurance bit (no, no, can you understand no?), that's the only real negative I've experienced. And to be honest, the other car rental companies are about the same. The insurance upsell seems to have calmed a bit during the past couple of years. And coming from the UK, you'll have insurance covered in your reservation. If they push, just show it to the agent and say no! to additional coverage! :lol:

You might have a good selection arriving at 7:00 p.m. There probably are drop-offs for late departures that will be available then. We arrive around 4:00 p.m.--between the early and late departure drop-offs! :)
  5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Alamo is co-located with National right across the street and I believe up one level from baggage claim.
  6. Isafari

Thanks guys.....have you used them before John?
  7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Not Alamo no, I am a member of National's Emerald Club and use them for the free upgrade.
  8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Alamo is in the same place as Dollar, except you turn left for Alamo and right for Dollar.

We used them last year because they had a good deal. I wasn't impressed with their staff at the rental desk, even though we'd gone for a 4 x 4 they still tried to sell us something else. We didn't have that much of a choice either :( We arrived later in the day as our flight was delayed.

Personally I wouldn't use them again unless they had a good deal on.

Have you tried allstatescarhire Diane :unsure: For us they are £60 cheaper for the 4x4 and £45 cheaper for the 7 seater for our friends. We have always booked through USrentacar, but they can't price match, only with Budget and I don't want to use Budget.
  9. Isafari

Thanks Wendy....will go try allstatescarhire and see what they come up with. Have they got a dedicated desk or do they use some one like Aloamo/Budget etc
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  10. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

No dedicated desk, I think that's just Virgin.

All of the rental companies have their own lines and representatives, you don't have to wait in one huge line :)

All States only use Dollar or Alamo you can specify who you want or they will just give you the cheapest price. I've never used them before , but I know people who have and they haven't had any problems.