1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question All Stars or Pop?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Vikki, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We're travelling in October 2015 with an AP (hopefully), and were trying to decide between the All Stars and Pop. Pop is only slightly more expensive. We've stayed at Movies so would like somewhere new.
    So, pros and cons of the other All Stars and Pop if you have any thoughts

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

All stars... classic disney fun :) I personally prefer movies but others prefer music/sports. Wherever you go it's just unpretentious and full of holiday disney energy. They share buses sometimes so it could be argued that it's a minus and sometimes they've seen better days in between refurbs.

Pop usually (but not 100%) has its own buses which is good, the bus layout is better and they've learnt a bit from other resorts in the way it's laid out. I think pop is now probably the best of the values but although I love the pop theming, there'll always be a special place in my heart for all star movies.

3. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Someone looking for accommodation in the WDW area?

:homer:

4. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I know that a lot boils down to personal taste but we really did not like Pop at all. We found it far too big and absolutely manic at times in the shop/quick service area. I hated the way that they were not separate and the area between was just a major junction for people going to/getting off the buses, trying to shop or making their way to eat. I can honestly say it is the only hotel I would never return to. The bus service was a mess when we were there (I know that it is always seen as being one of the best) and when I checked online forums I can remember that for some reason there were problems during the time we stayed. Our preference was for All Star Music, smaller than Movies and that was why we liked it, but yes, we all preferred the All Stars.

5. keith

you're right though Mags, it really is all personal preference which is why it's always so hard to advise someone else

Coronado was a bust for us but yet I know that we're a total minority on that one

Mags likes this.
  6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

All Star Sports is our favorite All Star Resort, but I think Ben & Ava would love MOVIES.

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Tough call. We've stayed at both, and I like All Stars better. I like the food court better, the layout, and the margaritas on the rocks at the pool bar. :D

Pop is newer, as you know, but I don't like the food court area at all.

It really is a matter of personal preference, as I'd stay at either one again if the price was right. :yes:

Mags likes this.
  8. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Keith, now that we have been to so many of the onsite hotels, I feel able to put them in some kind of order. I actually agree with you on Coronado. At the time I thought it was fine - very pretty but far far too big and I was fed up walking for miles even though I had chosen a reasonable part of the resort to stay in. My two grown up kids would say that it is one of their least favourite too. We found the staff extremely surly too and that was a real dampener on the holiday for us. Our favourite moderate has to be POFQ and next year we are going back to OKW. I know that it is big too but I loved the resort and the accommodation. I suppose it just ticked all the right boxes!

Mags

9. keith

yep definitely agree there. I especially enjoyed the surly staff member who stood at the entrance to the food court to stop people going out that way and how rude he was. I know the food court is not Disney itself but still.

yeah I REALLY love both POR and POFQ but of course POFQ has that intimacy of a small and beautiful resort

10. Vikki

We love POFQ but it's a bit out of our price range for this trip.

11. keith

I often feel the same. Sometimes I really want to splash out on the hotel but other times I know I'm going to be in and out and just can't justify the dosh. The values are perfect for that IMHO

12. Vikki

Exactly. The following august we'll resort hop between all of the different categories probably, but for this October trip a value will suit us perfectly.