1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

All thrill rides?

Discussion in 'Universal/Islands of Adventure' started by AKLnut, Jul 26, 2008.

1. AKLnut

AKLnut Imagineer

Is universal/ioa only good for thrill rides or do they have calmer rides and shows like disney parks do?
  2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Oooh depends what you mean by thrill rides. Universal has ET which is pretty tame. They have an animal show and a Barney show if you have tiny children. Jaws is relatively tame but could still be a thrill ride to a degree. Earthquake won't send you upside down but it's not a stroll in the park. Twister is a show with pretty good effects. Jimmy Neutron is a simulator ride that is funny. Shrek is a show/ride combined. It's hard to describe Shrek, you have to do it to understand it but it's not a thrill ride. Terminator is a show but not really for small children. There's some other movie making type shows - monster make up and such.

Islands of Adventure has Seussville which has tame rides. There's a show in the mythical area - Poseidon something or other which has great effects. 3 water rides which WILL soak you. There was a Sinbad show too last time we were there. To be honest if you don't like thrill/extreme rides you'd be better off giving this park a miss.
  3. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

IOA is way better for thrill rides, i wouldnt say US has any at all really
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

really?? Im not a thrill ride person either and I couldnt find much to do at US at all?
  5. ukwdwnut

we are not bothering with US anymore i find it pretty boring tbh....now IOA i love, especially duelling dragons :)
  6. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

What about the new Simpsons ride!
    I love US....I love watching Beetlehuice and the Blues Brothers. This is the park that I can actually do most of the attractions so I love it. About the only thing I can't do (tried once and thought I was dying!) is the Mummy.

I can do Jaws, Disaster, Men In Black, Jimmy Neutron, Shrek, Terminator, Twister, ET, Horror make up show is a good laugh.
  7. ukwdwnut

oh yeah the mummy is a good ride i love that one, forgot about that....but with US i feel that once ive done those on numerous trips it bores me....different with the disney parks as the atmosphere and buzz i get from disney is totally differnet, and IOA for me could so easily be a disney park as i get the same buzz from it
  8. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I feel exactly the same about Universal Mick, which is why we didn;t go last time and aren't going again next year - I would like to go on the new Simpsons ride but not enough to actually go. And don;t get me started on the fastpass system :rolleyes008:

That said I do think there is more to do at US than IOA if you are not into thrill rides, but I think that does depend on your definition of 'thrill' my mum for example wouldn't go on anything like Jaws, Earthquake etc although I don't personally consider those thrill rides :)
  9. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

our friend Rob is going with us to IOA rather than SW and wants me to go on that green rollar coaster . Is it The Hulk ? :eek3: We need a Help Me and afraid smiley . :yes:
  10. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

and a barf bucket!
  11. ukwdwnut

oh the hulk is awesome you have to do it, its nice and smoth and the start is great :)
  12. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

And I'm suppose to trust you . LOL I've heard, nut, give it up .
  13. ukwdwnut

no honestly, its so smooth, the only bit that could scare you is the beginning when it comes out of the tube and into the light where it barrel rolls, but thats over in a matter of a second.

what i did on my first coaster was watch the rails so i didnt get the look of going upside down and it worked for me then i just went crazy and ran around at least 10 times as i do with every coaster lol
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008