1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Am I mad? Sharing a room with three other people

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Oreo, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

To cut a very long story short, I may have invited my brother and his fiancé to come with us next year on our Disney trip. Not only that, to cut costs I may have suggest we share a room!!

Am I mad?

It is going to cost in the region of £1,300 each next year (including the dining plan if we book before July 1st) whereas the same holiday for just us two would be around £2,500 each.

Are we going to end up hating each other by the end of the holiday?

Is it worth looking at an extra room?

Any experiences with room sharing?

2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Only you can answer that question. It's a lot of money to save though! Maybe set some ground rules before the trip? Things like using the bathroom maybe an issue. :)

3. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

You "may have invited"? :unsure: LOL, is that like being "sort of pregnant"? LOL. What a loaded question! Clearly, it depends on SO many factors - do you and your brother get along well? How well do the other people in your party (not related by genetics) get on and how well do you *really* know them? Rooms at Disney are pretty close quarters, even for families. That being said, I've heard happy stories and I've heard horror stories. I think it's particularly difficult given the sheer length of time most Brit's travel for - I get tired of myself after a couple of weeks!

So then, tell us more!

4. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

It's exactly like being a little bit pregnant! :yes: lol

I have known my brother's fiancé for 7 years now. We get on really well to be honest. I have been with my girlfriend for 5 years and they got on well too!

I used to get on with my brother really well but the last 18months we have driffted a part and not really spent a great deal of time together. We haven't argued at all but we are not as close as we once were due to us moving to seperate areas etc.

My brother's fiancé has never been to Florida and her family are not flyers so the chances of her going with them are slim. However, she has been to New York so she is happy to fly.

They are both massive Harry Potter fans so there would be at least a couple of days where they would go off property to do their own thing.

It's the only way to bring the price down for us to an affordable level.

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It's a difficult question to answer.

Personally, I wouldn't do it, no matter how close I was to the other couple, I'd be thinking about the bathroom, getting dressed things like that :lol: What happens if one wants to go to bed or lie in and the others don't, you would be disturbed by the other couple.

We have been on holiday with a family who are very close friends. We were staying in a house and had much more room, but when I needed time out, I could go into our bedroom for some peace and quiet, if I'd been in a hotel room, it would have been unbearable, I'd have had nowhere to go.

It is a lot of money to save, but I guess it will come down to whether you could spend 2 weeks in each other's pockets.

Sorry, not much help really :sorry:

6. Beccaberry

Well - it certainly sounds good on paper! At the risk of "stereotyping" I think it can be much easier for "younger" couples to room together than....ahem, more mature couples. :wink: My son is 21 and I swear he could shack up with 3 people he'd only JUST met and never have a problem. I think as we get a bit older and more set in our ways (and them in theirs) it becomes a bit harder.

I also think if that's the way you can make it affordable - you'll find a way to make it work.

Perhaps you should consider going "away" with them for a weekend and see how that goes? Even if it's someplace local - just to get a feel for traveling with them.

7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I second the weekend idea!!

Are you stating onsite? Maybe a suite at All Star Music or Art of Animation?

8. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Old key west is the plan. It works out cheaper with the dining plan than almost all of the moderates and a lot of the value because of the number of people in the party.

If we go as a couple we will probably end up going to one of the all star resorts.

9. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Personally I would look at getting one of the apartments or suites so you would have a bit of extra room even if its a one bed with a pull out sofa bed. You will then have your own space.
    We've stayed with my parents in a time share before and get on fine but this is probably more to do with being able to go off to our own rooms for our own time.
    Also not meaning to be crude but have you thought about bathroom time. I'm assuming there is only one bathroom and could imagine it could get difficult.
    If you and your girlfriend are laid back and can let things go over your heads then I would say go for it.

:wiggle:

10. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

This is just my opinion, but if it were me, I would rather skip the OKW and get 2 rooms at a ALL Star :yes:

We have friends that I adore with all my heart and we have gone to Disney with my Mom and Dad and at some point everyone needs their own space. Just to breath and relax. That is just my take on it :D

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

If by OKW you mean a DVC villa with two bedrooms, then you have a wonderful set up. There is ample space and two bathrooms. If you mean a studio? Whew. That would certainly be close quarters and yes, would require complete understanding of how things were going to work.

12. Beccaberry

How long of a stay are you considering, Oreo?

13. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It will probably be 2 weeks as he's from the UK.

14. Beccaberry

That's what I was thinking as well, but I thought at one time he'd mentioned even longer...

Two weeks is a long time in close quarters :)

15. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

You want an honest opinion? Don't do it..... :unsure: Sharing one room with children is difficult enough. :rolleyes:
    We've been on many short trips with various friends but we've always had separate bedrooms. I can't imagine not having any privacy for 2 weeks. :eek3:
    If you can stretch to a villa at OKW that would be ideal. Or, as Shelly says, 2 rooms at a cheaper resort. :)

16. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I could do it for a long weekend. Maybe even a week depending on who it is. But 2 weeks? Nope

17. Tishypops

Tishypops Addicted to Mickey

As everyone has said everyone is different. We went on a villa holiday with my DSIL 5 years ago and our relationship with them hasn't been the same since, but we went away with my parents and I would go again with them tomorrow. I think the difference was with my parents we all did our own thing, there was no pressure to spend every waking second together infant I can only think of 1 full day we spent together (there were lots of other shorter pool times am hour here and hour there and a lunch or two) and it was really nice. If we are heading in the same direction great and we can go together but if we have different plans then it was just us saying ok catch you later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Yes this will be a two week trip! I was thinking about three weeks but that would have been in 2015

We have decided to go for it. I know it's a huge risk but we want to go back!! lol

We are booking it tomorrow evening.

We are still unsure about booking the whole things through disney or to try and find cheaper flights.

They have offered us return flights for £750 per person with Virgin, it's not the cheapest but not sure if it's worth the risk waiting until 330 days out to start looking.

What does everyone else think?

19. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

When is it you're going and do you mind not doing direct? And have you looked at complete Orlando's prices?

20. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I don't mind not going direct. If it saves me money I am happy!

Complete Orlando prices for the Hotel/dining plan and park tickets are the same price as Disney (bar a few pounds).

As we have never heard of or used Complete Orlando we didn't feel it worth the risk for a few pound.

Do they have access to the flights in advance like Disney does, because they maybe worth a try with flights too?

Are they a reputable company? As I haven't heard of them myself.