1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

AMD vs. Intel i7

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by uscwest, Feb 27, 2012.

1. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I'm giving some serious thought to a new computer. I want a quad processor but don't know whether to go with the AMD or the Intel i7. Any thoughts? Thanks
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

you know, at this stage in the game for most people, the choice is largely subjective.

Both work, both are compatible.

Many years ago, I went through a series of AMD cpus. They were then, as now, cheaper for the same power and so seemed like a deal. Well I had no end of little problems with them. That of course has massively put me off and I've never used them again.

However I know many people who swear by them and spend less than me when they buy a new machine because they'll go AMD.

Sooooo there we go. My unfair, subjective view, buy the i7 :) but I can't give you a shred of good evidence as to why you should
  3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I agree with Keith. :yes:

And the only evidence I can offer is that I support about 80,000 workstations. We've had no end of problems with the AMD machines. Especially when it comes to things like firmware. So, now our standard image machine is all Intel.

Once burned, twice shy.

Tom :)macwave:... or... there's another option... :exit:)
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

See that's exactly it. Was it just that we had so many machines we were bound to catch the smallest bugs? I dont know :/ but either way, I dont trust them

yep ;-) I must say even running windows on my macs, theyve been 100% perfect
  5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I've got an i5 and I'm really impressed with the speed and performance. A friend bought one for his son for Christmas and that has an i7 in it, to be honest I didn't really notice any difference in performance to mine and trust me, I'm always being told off by Chris for doing too many things and having too many programs all open at the same time :lol:
  6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I have an AMD in my current laptop and am seriously considering the i7 for my next one. I don't know if it is the processor in my current computer that is slow or whether it is because I don't have enough memory, as I like Wendy, tend to have a lot of stuff open at once.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of difference in price though.
  7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Our desktop is an AMD, but it is fairly old now and when Chris was looking for my laptop, he wouldn't even look at AMDs, I don't know why though :unsure: I can ask him when he comes home.

John, if you were to go for an i7, you would not in any way at all be disappointed.