1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

And we're off.....

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by keith, May 8, 2014.

1. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Ha ha! Rab C Nesbitt is a comedic character on British TV, he was a friendly drunk who always looked like he'd just climbed out of a garbage truck. Here's a visual:

[​IMG]
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

you really want to introduce him to our American friends?!!! :lol:
    Beccaberry likes this.
  3. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

:jawdrop:Yikes! I think I like Mrs. Nesbitt better!:)
    Tony G likes this.
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

ok well last day sigh. It's actually gone over pretty slowly which is good and in a way I'm ready to get back but in another more real way, I'm ready to stay here another month/year/decade :D

Hate the last day and flight home, so I'll just try and drink some complimentary virgin brandy and try to sleep (never usually works but worth a shot).

I'll try and add a highs/lows and a final summary when I'm back :)

I have to say, Disney is mega expensive. That's not news, but I mean it WAS mega expensive and now it's mega expensive and it's gone up! :lol: couple of cokes, a carrot cake and a burger at a quick serve? Say goodbye to $25-$30 , valet parking? $20 (up from 15 a few months ago), park admission well let's not even go there, glad I had APs. It makes dining on site a very tricky decision for me since I honestly don't believe there are many places on site that justify the cost. I used to just book a load and ok, they weren't necessarily as good as some offsite but they were convenient and ok but now they're busy, basic, rushed and overpriced. First time in about 10 yrs we didn't even go to the california grill. I've scoffed at the dining plan in the past but with dining prices up and accommodation discounts down, I'm starting to recommend people really try hard to get free dining plan included if they're staying onsite.

There's a LOT of work going on, I wouldn't be happy if I'd paid mega bucks to stay at the polynesian at all. I understand work needs to happen but if you're charging top dollar, you need to be perfect! Likewise downtown disney parking is a nightmare at busy times.

Tables in wonderland, which used to give 20% discount free and clear and now just gives 20% off at SOME places whilst adding on 18-20% gratuity, is getting less accepted. I mean, at this point, it literally just pays the tip but hey that's ok with me! More and more I handed the card in and they had to check to see if they accepted it still. V&A are stopping in August and with a V&A meal for two being $400-$500 that's a tip of ~$100 so a big loss there.

I spoke to a CM about disney generally and discounts specifically and he was so upbeat, don't want to say arrogant, but they're SOOOOOO confident in Disney because they can't build enough rooms, enough restaurants, enough car parking fast enough to deal with demand, even with putting prices up. He said, rightly, that Disney only discount when they need to and increasingly, there's just no need.

Frozen... just HUGE still. I was in a shop and they put a new batch of frozen stuff out, limited per customer and soon the whole park just descended on them! It was hard to get out!

CMs.... well a few still said hello which was nice old disney style :) but a lot of fed up, slow, bored CMs around. I dont know if this'll make sense but we always call it the "KFC walk" - that slooooooow walk that the staff do when they REALLY don't wanna be there so they walk as slowly as possible from wherever they are, no eye contact and slowwwwwwly back, everything takes 10 mins even just pouring a coke. I actually saw that in guest services at Disney for probably the first time, we actually had to give up and went back later.

Next Gen Disney stuff... it's going well IMHO. Whether you have a band or a card, everything is on there and a swipe lets you in. simples. When it goes wrong, it can be a real pain because you cant REALLY see what's on there, the closest you can get is my disney experience but that doesnt help when you're saying "but there MUST be a ticket on there, we bought it and it was added!"

A lot of cms are still obviously struggling. When I saw them training staff at the contemporary, they were showing people all the tricks, add everything in one go to one card etc. Several times this trip they just gave us a new card for everything which isn't necessary and is actually confusing because we ended up with cards with no indication on them as to what's on them. Party ticket? entrance? special event? who knows. I later spoke to a trainer who rolled her eyes and said yeah, everything should be on one card and everything on that card visible in your disney experience.

As ever, the villa in the davenport area was just superb and a true home from home. I very much didn't want to leave and wonder if the owner would mind building me a granny(Keithy?)flat on the side :D

Weather was awesome, it rained one afternoon.

Feel like we walked 50miles and according to my fitbit fitness band thing, we nearly did :lol:

Ah well, back to planning for the October visit!
    Tony G likes this.
  5. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

All good things come to an end eh?
    Still, despite your comments on WDW [which echo my thoughts precisely], it seems like you have both had a good time and have re-charged your batteries before getting back to the grindstone [and reality!].
    Have a safe and pleasant trip back home and I hope the brandy works. :wave:
    keith likes this.
  6. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Safe travels, mate. Excellent recap on what sounds like a lovely trip all around. Can't wait til you're back home and settled so I can pick your brain!
    keith likes this.
  7. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Safe journey home.
    I hate the last day, it's as though the Disney magic has gone and we both wander around with a weight hanging on our shoulders.
    Still, we always have a great holiday so the last day blues are just something we have to put up with.

I'd love to go in October Keith....but mostly for BG and US horror nights.
  8. Tony G

That's an excellent description of the last day blues. :crywave:

I'm at my worst when I return to a usually grey and cold UK. It doesn't help when the cleaner at Gatwick sweeps dirt all over my shoes as if I wasn't there! :madflames:
  9. keith

yep that's the exact feeling :yes: Come the last day I just want to click my fingers and be home

yeah see I'd really like to try BG/US but no one else shares my enjoyment of the terrifying :lol:
  10. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I don't blame her one little bit :lol: you could always go in your own :wink:
  11. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I agree with Keith that the cost of experiencing Disney has gotten really expensive. I don't know how much longer we will be able to afford to go every year. I used to feel that a Disney vacation was a good/great value but to be honest I'm not sure it still is.
    Beccaberry likes this.
  12. keith

Before I found Disney, I just didn't take holidays. I went to places for work and the like and maybe I looked around a little in any spare time but holidays, nope. Soon as I found Disney, it was like a light bulb moment for me, I just knew that it was my ideal magical location.

I've had such wonderful memories there, and it's my home from home now. I don't stress because I know Disney so well, it's perfect. HOWEVER, if I was still spending two weeks completely on site, I don't know that I'd be comfortable going as often as I have been. The expense would be frankly insane.

Thank goodness for the folks on here who persuaded me to try a Villa + car
    Tony G and Wendy like this.
  13. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I cant help wondering if Disney recoup the cost of the various free dining programmes by hiking up the prices for us folks who pay as we go?
  14. keith

I'm very sure you're right there :yes:

IMHO, they love packages. They know that someone staying onsite for a week with a dining plan + tickets for the whole party is going to go to Disney most days, buying buying buying, will eat at Disney each day buying wine etc., and back to the hotel for snacks etc. Total captive market and they'll do anything to keep that.

Putting up pay as you go pricing at restaurants already mostly full of dining plan people anyway just makes the dining plan seem even better value in exchange for the few people they put off who probably couldn't have got an ADR anyway.
  15. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Welcome back home Keith!

We have noticed that the price has gone up and we would only afford to go once every two years to be honest. However this has not prevented us to go back again :wiggle:

Knowing that DLP costs £1500 for three days helps us to look the overall costs of going to WDW differently!
    Tony G likes this.
  16. keith

yep! very true.... every time we say we'll save a bit of dosh by going to DLP for a fix, we price it up and just book Florida instead.
  17. Tony G

I've got to the point where I don't even consider DLP - the experience is just not the same.
  18. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I agree. DLRP doesn't even come into the equation anymore.
  19. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

We usually go when they have Christmas decorations up as it is really beautiful! However we may be in position where we may not be able to go back mainly due to the rising costs which is sad in a way.
  20. Coolape

Coolape Addicted to Mickey

DLP is just full of rude people that smoke in the park, don't queue and push you around anyways.

Even with discount I wouldn't go back.
    Tony G likes this.