1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Andelucia - Acebuchal Village

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Deb, May 6, 2009.

1. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

"Acebuchal was an old staging post on the trade route from the coast into the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">province</st1:placeType> of <st1:placeName w:st="on">Granada</st1:placeName></st1:place>. But during the days of the civil war the soldiers of Franco’s Guardia Civil stormed the village one night, marched away all seventy odd men and most of the boys of the village and shot them all. The village then fell into ruin as without the menfolk the women could not survive alone, so they abandoned the village in 1949 . Then, back in 1998, Antonio Garcia, aka “El Zumbo” and his family, who lived in the village as children, decided to renovate some of the family properties. They now own and run the restaurant. Anyway, this sparked off a full scale renovation of the village which has now been reborn as a beautiful whitewashed pueblo with lovely cobbled streets and a wood fired oven in the main street where Antonio will often cook a whole roast lamb or suckling pig. It is located in a secluded little valley in the heart of the mountains of the Sierra Tejada and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Almijara</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Natural</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>." <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Acebuchal. I had read about this place before going on holiday and had really wanted to go to see it, and hopefully eat in it. Due to our newfound ambivalence of eating out I could live without the latter but not the former. There was something about the tale that had touched me, and for some reason I couldn’t go home without seeing it. To go back to someplace you had been driven out of in your childhood, and to have the passion and drive to go back and rebuild it to make it right…something about that says something so big about the human spirit.

So we drove out at 9.30 0n Thursday morning (after a lovely breakfast on the terrace of local streaky bacon and scrambled eggs on toast) to see what it was like. It was higher up the mountain than our villa, then a drop down the back of it into the next valley. Although the road dwindled into an unmade one, it still only took us 12 minutes to get to from our place.<o:p></o:p>
    The photos don’t do it justice, as it seemed like “just” another quaint white hamlet. But the atmosphere was incredible. We did not see or hear another living person in the 40 minutes we wandered about. The restaurant was supposed to open at 10am for coffe but it remained closed, which was actually a good thing I think. It was kind of like a real ghost town, and you could picture and feel the history there. For some reason it made me quite emotional. You could hear the bells of the goats as they were being herded in the area (as indeed we could when we were in the villa – I forgot to mention it before), and everywhere there was such a profusion of wild rosemary, thyme and lavender. The aroma was heavenly. The whole place was surreal.

The restaurant had a sign up with their phone number, asking you to phone ahead if you wanted any of the following:

Roast lamb leg, lamb shoulder, kid, baby kid, suckling pig, pork shoulder.

Apparently if someone calls ahead and wants something they just throw that into the wood oven for that day and that becomes the main menu! As by now we know we are definitely coming back to eat here and are happy to leave it for this time. Every review we have read of this restaurant is incredible though.

The first shots are of the view of the village as you drive in.

Attached Files:

2. Deb

,The place is still being renovated, and this next picture shows one of the buildings that is waiting to be done, so there is a comparison, You will be able to see the chain there that is for the locals to park their donkeys at when they’re passing through and stopping for refreshments. They have these Donkey Stops in Frigiliana too, but I never seemed to have my camera ready when there were donkeys parked there. Of course being me I always said hello to them :D

They rebuilt the church as it was, and although we couldn't enter it we could see through the window, and although it was smaller than most people's living rooms it was incredible beautiful and ornate, decorated with wild flowers and greenery from the area.

Attached Files:

3. Deb

The streets were just incredibly beautiful and well kept.

Attached Files:

4. Deb

And the poppies were gorgeous.

Attached Files:

5. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

Deb, what a sad story. I understand the emotion you felt wandering around, i had the same experience at a village in France in 2007 which i won't tell you about now as it was very, very tragic.

Your pictures are beautiful and I think I'm in love with the village without even being there. :hug2:

6. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

beautiful place!

thank you for sharing all that info Deb!