1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Android Questions

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by uscwest, Jan 8, 2012.

1. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I have gotten out of the Blackberry world and got an Android two days ago. It is the Motorola Razr. It appears to have two different sets of ringtones, one for phone calls and one for notifications but I can only find one of them. If I download a ringtone it goes into the phone call ringtones and if I try to use it for notifications it doesn't show as available. Does anyone know anything about this and if so how to get it where I can access it?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Hmmmmm... yes, I do. I have android... let me think a minute. Ok. Let me think much longer than that.

Can you save it to your memory card and then access it from there? There's a trick to it, that much I know. Clearly having a problem hauling the memory of the trick out of the morass that is my brain...

3. uscwest

Tink,

The problem is that I can see it under ringtones for phone calls but not under ring tones for notifications. Weird huh. Right at the moment it is a moot point however as I will need to go to my local Verizon store this afternoon after work and see if they can figure out why my brand new phone won't power on this morning. I've only had it two days and it was on the charger overnight.

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Have you tried removing the battery, waiting a min, putting it back in and turning on? Then if no go, attach it to the charger for a few mins and try to turn on in 30mins or so?

5. uscwest

You cannot access the battery on the Razr.

6. keith

ah then there'll be some other way to do a COMPLETE reset on it... hold the Volume Down button and Power button for about 15 seconds ?

Hope you get it sorted

7. uscwest

Ok, this is just flat out weird. After not being able to get my phone to come on yesterday after being on the home charger all night, even when connected to the charger in our van pool. I had pretty much decided I would have to go back to Verizon and get them to figure out what was wrong. We had a LONG (2.5 hours) commute home yesterday because of the weather so I asked Donna for the charger and tried it in a different location in the van. I know the other one works because Donna uses it all the time. I plugged it in and at first nothing happened. Then the window opened up with the Droid Icon and the battery icon appeared. It was deader than a doornail. I left the charger plugged in all the way home and it was registering about 40% charged. When I got into the house I put it back on the charger and just before I went to bed it registered 100%. So I unplugged it, powered it off, and went to bed. This morning I went to power it on and NOTHING. I plugged it back into the charger and it came on registering FULL BATTERY. I unplugged it, hit the power on button and NOTHING. I then held the power on button and the volume button and lo and behold up it came after about 10 seconds. I'm at work now and since I can't have a cell phone here in the office it is once again powered off. We shall see what happens this afternoon.

8. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

If it's me I'm taking it back!

I don't need nor want a device that continuously gives me weird grief. :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... something just doesn't sound right...)

9. keith

yep agreed, it doesnt sound right to me either

10. uscwest

I'm going to wait and see what happens tonight when I go out to the van.

11. keith

yeah

The power button+volume is basically a last resort reset for when the phone has crashed so if you're having to do that routinely, it's FUBAR'd

fingers crossed you get it sorted

12. uscwest

One way or the other it WILL be sorted if I have to get them to give me a new phone.

13. uscwest

Well it appears to be working fine this evening. I've managed to move a ring tone to my notifications tones. It is powering on and off.

14. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Glad to hear you've got it sorted out John :)

15. uscwest

OK, the stupid phone is going back. Last night the battery ran low and it beeped at me. I put it on the charger and when the battery got to 100% removed the charger and powered it off. This AM, nothing. :angry-smiley-053::angry-smiley-053::angry-smiley-053:

16. keith

yeah :( sadly I've tried and tried with things like this in the past and if you suspect they're dodgy, it's always better to get a new one.

(ps. If you're 100% convinced on the motorola then ignore me, but motorola lost all its quality engineers years ago and have been struggling ever since. Samsung make the best android phones at the moment in my opinion although there are some nice htc ones too)

17. uscwest

This time around both Donna and I got the same phone. The Droid Razr. It is a 4G phone. She is having no problems with hers. I think I looked at a Samsung but didn't care for the look and feel.

18. keith

sure thing, a phone is a very personal device and you have to get something you feel comfortable with.

I have a somewhat jaded view of which phones are reliable and which aren't because it's such a huge part of what we support at work :) Hopefully now motorola have been bought by google they'll get rid of the dead wood and get the company back to where it was many years ago.