1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Android....

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Deafjeff, May 7, 2012.

1. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Hi all,

I have decided to change from iPhone to android Galaxy note with three network.

The phone itself is quite nice. It is different to IOS system. I wonder if anyone here switched from iPhone to android? How did you cope? Any tips?

I am having some trouble with my signal on occasional bases, I have an option to cancel the contract if I am not happy with signal. (phew!)

Will keep you informed!

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

It's such a very very personal decision.

Every time a new android phone comes out, I swap to it to try it and I love it for a few days and then I go back to my iphone. I feel the iphone is more thought out, smoother and more consistent in operation.

HOWEVER, android is miles more configurable. For example, one thing I love on android is an app called SMS PRO which replaces the inbuilt sms app with one which has themes. It's great and something you'd never be able to do so completely on an iphone.

So I guess my feeling is that on android it's all about the apps you have! I've noticed that the people who love their androids, are those who've taken the time to find great apps. The people who dont like it so much tend not to have as many apps.

The galaxy note is a great device but a little too large for me unfortunately. I DO love samsung though, the s2 was a great phone and the s3 promises to be even better.

On every android phone I've tried, I've noticed that sometimes I'll look and the signal will be dead :/ no reason for it I could find it just seems to be one of those things :/

3. Deafjeff

I don't think that I ever been that confused about which phone to use and unsure about network...

Three network currently registered at -109 to -113. 02 regtered between -90 to -95. I know it is no brainer but quite like three network as got unlimited data including unlimited tethering.

Very useful for tango video call when I'm out and about.

Confused.com! :mental:

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I had one of the first iPhones. I sent it back and switched then to the Motorola Android. I now have a Samsung. The Motorola was a brick, but is still working! This particular Samsung is just ok.

Part of the problem with that first iPhone for me was the carrier. We had to be with AT&T to use it. That's not the case anymore, so we'll see as time wears on if I stay with android or return to some version of the iPhone.

5. keith

I've learned not to be so "keith" when talking about phones with people :lol: it truly is so subjective that the only good advice is to give them all a good try yourself (and even then, I reckon you need a good few weeks to find all the wrinkles, a try in a shop isn't enough).

I SHOULD prefer android because of the customisable nature of it but I prefer the iphone interface and I just keep coming back to it.

Windows phone is great too but since they're going windows 8 by year end, buying a windows phone now doesnt make much sense :(

6. Deafjeff

Mmmhhh fair point only got 7 days to try out the signal.... Also know that iPhone 5 is coming soon not sure if it will be the same interface system etc....

I quite like to customise the phone and I'm learning everyday.

It is quite fun but..... Signal mmmhhhh

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?yt3tu4

7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Chris went from a really old Nokia N95 to a Galaxy S2 and it took him a while to get to grips with it :lol: I think from what he keeps saying, that he will be upgrading to the S3 next month, he was worried it would be as big as the Note, but it's hardly any difference, so that's more or less sold it to him.

There are a couple of niggles, but he is really pleased with android :yes: He has looked around and read a lot of articles and downloaded some good apps (well he says they are good :lol: ) He says he doesn't think he could be bothered with all the iphone restrictions.

He has a sim for 3 which he uses just for the internet when he's away from home and he hasn't had many problems with reception, just the odd slow speed.

He said if 3 is dropping out where you usually use it then cancel it before the month is up and try giff gaff - Keith knows more about this - they use o2 so you could get your iphone unlocked and just do a sim only deal.

8. Deafjeff

Thanks the phone is tied to contact. I got enough signal for text. But at times do get H+ signal which is really lovely!

Another thing there are so many information out there and it is not overwhelming. One of android user kept badgering me that I should go back to iPhone which is not helping at all!!!!

If Chris could give me some advice or suggestions of which apps etc would be wonderful :yes:

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bz2trl

9. keith

three really blew its chance. It had the first 3G network in the UK but it just didnt get enough subscribers quickly enough to build out its network before the others caught up.

Now initially, it partnered with O2 so that when you didnt have a 3G signal, your phone would use o2 to call/text, I THINK it's using orange/tmobile now. HOWEVER they've started to turn off this partnership gradually because it costs them money and they believe they now have enough 3G coverage.

Problem is, they dont :( and 3G doesnt penetrate buildings as well as 2G so coverage is set to become a lot worse with three IMHO

Naturally they offer great deals to get people onto the network, they have to because their coverage is the worst.

I'm afraid of all the networks, three would be my last choice just based on signal

10. Deafjeff

11. keith

well to be honest Jeff, I think the best way to choose is to see how well it works for you in your every day life.

If you get a good enough signal to do everything you need to and the tariff is the best for your needs, happy days!

If it drops out and you find you're making excuses "welllll its not on 3g now but the tariff is good" swap it out whilst you can.

12. Wendy

If you aren't getting the full coverage with three, I would cancel the contract Jeff :yes: It's never worth paying out the money every month for a service you can't get.

The carphone warehouse have an unlimited service now and they use vodafone - here

There doesn't seem to be much choice of phones though, you might get a bigger choice if you went into the shop.

Chris said what sort of apps would you be looking for :unsure: he said he's got some for the camera which give you a lot more choice, dropbox, file manager, nav free, data monitor, lookout which is in his words an excellent antivirus :unsure: as well as others. He has one for me which is called point inside which gives you a layout of all the shopping malls in the US :lol:

13. Deafjeff

Fair point I could maximise the coverage via wifi but not the point is it? It worse in the evening for some reason. I just had a tango video call using signal and it works ok but at another time it nothing there sigh

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vi5mtg

14. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

I've been a three network user for a year now and I can't fault them at all, I get better coverage then my DH who uses Vodafone.

As for iPhone v's android
    i had an iPhone 3 and when I could upgrade I changed to an android phone, well I had this phone for about 6 months and hated it, I sold it in the end a went back to the iPhone.
    my DH has an andriod phone and loves it, but even he is thinking about getting an iPhone on his next upgrade.

Like others have said its down to personal choice really.

15. keith

It really is and coverage depends on where you live, where you work/travel to

Although three has the worst coverage, there are places with mega strong 3 signal and great :)

this is why it's always so so hard to recommend these days

16. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I'm on vodafone and except for my kitchen :thumbsdown: there is pretty good signal everywhere. My sister is with three and hers is poor. However, my friend a 30 minute drive away is in the opposite situation, vodafone not so great, three is fantastic. As Keith says, it's really hard to recommend nowadays.

I have to say though I really don't rate Android as an OS at all. I feel it's really fragmented between different devices and because they pretty much let anyone use it and customise it, I find, on Tablets at least, that it's really hard to find any sort of consistency between them.

I know you can tweak it a bit more than the iPhone and the iPhone does still have a few random niggles (Like not being able to group your contacts in your phone book :thumbsdown:) but I just feel that the Android OS is too much like the phones of yesteryear. I can't cope with them!

17. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Uhh... Josh. You can do that. :yes:

You just have to setup your groups on your Mac in Address Book. Then when you sync to your iPhone, voila, contacts in the same groups you have in Address Book. Then on your phone, if you add a contact, you just need to be sure that you add them in the correct group.

There are also apps available that will let you manage your groups on your iPhone. Some are even free.

Tom :)macwave:... iPhone groupie.)

18. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I know about that way, but what I meant was you can't do it natively. For those who use windows, how do they do it?

19. Deafjeff

20. Wendy

I think you have made the right decision Jeff :hug2: It is in their terms and conditions so there shouldn't be a problem, but I bet they try and talk you into staying, just stand your ground :yes:

Let us know how you got on.