1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

animal kingdom lodge or wilderness lodge?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by cosmicray, Oct 17, 2008.

1. cosmicray

cosmicray Earning my ears

Im looking through the brochure and these both catch my eye. Are they both pretty much the same just at different places or is one better than the other ?
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Wow. Impossible to answer that one. They are both essentially the same architecture, but that is where the similarity stops.

I love them both, but for very different reasons. :yes:
  3. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Very difficult as Tink said if you like one style you will probably like the other, AKL has the Savannah and animals but is more oyt of the way and WL is close to MK which is a big draw. :)
  4. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I LOVE the wilderness lodge, it was my dream resort and when I got to stay there this past summer, it lived up to everything I had hoped!
  5. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Both are terrific. Haven't stayed at either, but have visited both.

In terms of location, AKL is near AK park. WL is a boat ride away from MK, which can be an advantage if you're going to spend more time at MK than the other parks.

The longest ride between resorts and parks on WDW buses is about 20 to 25 minutes. All of the resorts are closer to one or two parks than the others, so it's a matter of budget, theming preference and location.
  6. *Bambi-Belle*

*Bambi-Belle* Imagineer

We had planned to stay in the Animal Kingdom Lodge summer 2007, but due to the building work going on at the time in the actual lodge we decided to change to the Wilderness Lodge.

We fell in love with the place. The staff were fantastic from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. It is such a relaxing resort. The boat to the magic Kingdom was great. Even if you had spent the whole day in another park or outside Disney if you had any energy left, you could hop on the boat for a wee wander up <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:Street><st1:address w:st="on">Main Street</st1:address> just to take in the atmosphere in the evening.
    <O:p
    We could also see the ELP from our balcony which was fab.
    <O:p
    We did go and visit the Animal Kingdom Lodge and had our dinner there, it is a fantastic hotel also and we would really love to stay one day, but I think the Wilderness lodge will always have our heart.

Warm muffins from roaring forks!!!!Yummmmm!

[​IMG]

Our View!

[​IMG]

7. cosmicray

cosmicray Earning my ears

WOW BambiBelle that looks well WOW!

ok I think my preference may be shifting towards the wilderness hotel now
  8. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

My veiw was right in the middle, it was fanastic!!!
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  9. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We love them both but AKL wins out because of the theming, restaurants and bar.
  10. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

We've stayed at AKL twice & at WL twice & i really like them both. I don't see them as similar really, I think they are very unique. I guess I tend to have a bit of a warmer spot towards WL but not really sure if it's for any other reason than memories (first went when our kids were tiny, etc.). I cannot imagine you would be disappointed with choosing either of these two places. I mean the pools, the dining, the rooms...you just can't go wrong with either!

Only thing i can think of WL had, for us, over AKL is that we like to resort hop when we are at WDW & you can catch a boat over to the Contemporary & if you wanted to do more hopping you can catch a monorail to the other MK resorts. This is something that my family enjoys a lot tho not every family would. Other than this can't really think of anything one has over the other.
  11. MinnieMouse

MinnieMouse Earning my ears

I have stayed in both resorts and they both have their own special themes.

Akl has the wonderful animals in the savannahs,african music and wonderful restaurants. They have a nice bar and terrific theming.

Wilderness Lodge has the warm homely feel. When you enter it feels like you are getting a big bear hug. The theming is wonderful and the atmosphere is terrific. They have the geyser near the boat dock and the location is near to MK.

You would have a fantastic time in whichever one you chose to stay in. :p015:
  12. susanm

susanm Imagineer

no real specific reason because i have never stayed at either resort, but i do like the western look of the wilderness lodge better....just personal prefernce... on my list of places to stay....someday :wink: