1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Animal Kingdom Lodge - what do you like/dislike

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Clare, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Clare

Clare Earning my ears

I've just booked for next year, staying at AKL (Jambo House) - I'm normally an Epcot resort girl (those of you who know me will of course already know that lol), and am having a complete change.

I've always loved the look of AKL and the trip is going to be a relaxing/chilling type of trip and I think I'll feel at home at AKL.

So, onto the question - if you've stayed there (or even if you haven't) what do you like about the resort? anything you dislike?

Thanks

Clare :wave:

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I have never stayed there, but I did eat at Bomas once. The lobby seems very dark.

3. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I love the lobby!! the bright colors, the music, the CMs in African costumes... LOVE IT!
    Love the gift shop, again, lots of African handmade souvenirs
    Love Boma!!!
    Love the pool
    I like the rooms, they are spacious, and the African decoration really gets you in the mood, without being overwhelming
    I ADORE waking up to giraffes!!!!!... seriously, NOTHING can beat that!!

I dont like
    its far away from everywhere, except AK
    the only transportation available is buses
    the layout if you get one of the rooms far from the lobby... it can take you 15 minutes to walk to the pool!... and on your way back you can freeze!!! hahaha....

4. Clare

Clare Earning my ears

Good to see so many likes :) I must admit the first time I went into the lobby I wondered who had turned out the lights!

Fingers crossed I get a room not too far away from the pool/lobby.

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Love love love it :yes:

Let's get the usual criticisms out of the way first. People say it's too far out. WELL, it's true that pretty much every other deluxe resort is a deluxe through location. They're all close to EPCOT, MK and ok, AKL is close to the animal kingdom but not in the same way since it's still a bus ride away.

HOWEVER with that out of the way, it's great in that you just go to the bus stop and get on a bus to wherever you want to go. The busses arent shared which saves a GREAT amount of time.

The big draw is the savannah view and wow. It's a weird feeling opening the window and seeing the savannah with all the animals out there. So quiet and well just amazing.

That's just the obvious though! The resort has so much more to offer. From the moment you walk in it has a certain "feel" to it that's unique. It's dark, although tales of extreme darkness are exaggerated in my own humble opinion. There is so much to do and see just in the lobby alone that you could spend days in there. The staff all want to share stories, information and details about animals and the artefacts around the place.

Boma and Jiko, not to mention the new restaurant which I havent tried yet, are excellent in their own right and if you werent staying there would be worth a trip just to sample them!

The pool is the least overlooked one I've experienced at Disney. Almost secluded and quiet.

It's in the same style as the Wilderness lodge which of course I love as well. I really like the all-in-one-building hotels and I'm not a huge fan of the resorts where you have to go walking for miles to get to your exclusively expensive concierge room :/ so again AKL scores.

I REALLY like it :yes:

6. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

quite similar to Mari actually

love the animals, i do like to chill on holiday and to sit and stare at the animals is simply wonderful. I would not stay there without having a savannah view.
    The surroundings- i know some think the lobby is dark but it's also beautiful - the bedrooms are quite dark but that's not a problem for me- it has a cosy feel.
    i like the rocking chairs outside and that the guides are there to tell you about the animals at the public area of the savannah

also 2 of my fave restaurants there- Boma and Jiko - the souvenir shop is great

don't like that it's so far out from other parks and the long walk sometimes to your room at the end of a long day.

the pool is ok but I'm generally a bit disappointed with Disney pools anyway

7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Personally I can't say that there is anything I dislike about it. It is no farther out than the All Star Resorts.

8. Clare

Clare Earning my ears

The more I'm hearing/reading about AKL, the more I'm thinking this is the right choice for me - roll on May 2010!

9. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Just got back and we loved it - we stayed at Kidani Village which is very peaceful and has a much more relaxed feel from the hustle and bustle of Jambo House - that said I would probably stay at Jambo next time as I like hustle and bustle :lol: The pool area at Kidani is fantastic!!

We love Boma especially for breakfast and Saana is DH's new favourite onsite restaurant - it was really good :yes:

The CM's make the resort special - there is so much going on activity wise and its nice just to chat to them about their home countries.

I love the lobby - it only feels dark to me when you look from the main doors to the Savannah - if you face the other way it's not dark at all :D

And watching a giraffe family eating their dinner can't be beaten :D

10. keith

I once read someone who said the whole time they were there they didn't see a single animal :lol: Have to wonder if they walked around blindfolded don't you? (either that or the animals saw them coming and made a run for it ;)

11. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

lol Keith!

Lisa do you have a copy of the menu from Sanna? when you've unpacked that is :sorry: :tongue:

12. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I vote for the second option!:point:

13. Kathmandu

Kathmandu Earning my ears

This is my dream resort to stay at. Last time we stopped by for dinner at the buffet place, cant' think of the name and just walked around. More than anything I want to go back and stay there but with 5 to a room is that possible?

We have been staying at Port Orleans riverside with the trundle bed.

14. mrtoffee

mrtoffee Earning my ears

My wife and i stayed at ALK on our honeymoon, it was a really cool place to spend a few night. Lots to do and see, personally i liked sitting at the viewing points watching the animals

15. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

We've stayed at AKL twice & enjoyed it very much both times. I find the CMs here to be particularly sweet & helpful. There are so many kids activities if you have children so be sure to check into that. We enjoyed the food court very much & Boma's for breakfast is a must for us almost every trip! The lobby & rooms are dark, sort of like the WL but you get used to it. And they are just so beautiful! I love how the rooms are decorated.
    A lot complain about the distance to MK but I really didn't notice it during either trip. Once I'm on a bus & as long as my tushy has a seat then I'm happy. It just didnt' seem like it took any longer to me. The busses normally were not crowded either & I liked that BUT I haven't been since all the new Villa rooms have opened. That could change the situation unless they add more busses or have seperate ror the Villas from the regular rooms.
    I really can't think of any complaints.

16. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'm the same. I really don't notice the distance between the resort and any given park. I mean, seriously what does it matter! :lol: It's not like most people haven't already traveled a great distance to get there!

I've been to Kidani Village and didn't mind the bus situation, but that is because any time we were on the bus it went to Kidani first. :D :D

17. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

So Tink, were the busses standing room only now?

18. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Ummmm...I honestly can't remember! :sorry: We went during the Food and Wine Festival... I don't recall standing, and I don't recall having anyone standing in front of me, so I'm going to say no-everyone was seated.

Isn't that awful?! :lol: Better get me some gingko biloba in my stocking! :lol:

19. keith

They were standing room coming back from MK/EPCOT after the fireworks and going to the parks at busy times.

Far busier with kidani than before that's for sure. (enough to bug me)

20. mrtoffee

mrtoffee Earning my ears

Were going to akl in feb 2011 and im hoping the buses wont be to bad. We have a hire car though so if there mega busy I think we will use that to get around.