1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Annual Pass Holders being asked for their ID for Free Parking

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Wendy, May 22, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I've been reading that some Annual Pass holders have been asked to provide ID when they are at the booths to enter the parking lot at the parks. I don't think all the CMs seem to know about it as it seems to be hit or miss whether you get asked or not.

I can see the reason for this, but surely if Disney is going to implement this then they should make some announcement :shrug: I can see it will be fun if someones ID is in their bag and its in the trunk of their car, the lines will soon back up.

Has anyone that has been recently been asked for ID?

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah I meant to say about this

MOST of the time we sailed right through but on entry to hollywood studios, they took our annual pass from us and demanded ID. we fumbled for drivers license, they took both into the booth and came out, said fine you can proceed.

So it wasnt even a cursory oh yeah name the same thing :/

3. Wendy

Did you have the original paper passes or has you upgraded them? I

4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Since we stay on site and even when we stayed at Shades of Green we always have the resort badge so we haven't had to show our AP.

5. keith

Original paper didn't get round to upgrading them since they only had ten days left on them

6. Wendy

I would have upgraded just so I could keep one of the new ones :lol: I don't think we'll be getting APs again.

7. keith

every time we went to epcot I thought about it, epcot was the only place you could do it although thats changed now. We just never seemed to get the time.

I keep saying we wont get APs but then we start down the usual path, how many days will we want to do disney... well maybe 7 this time, 7 next. Best value probably 7 day ->14day cards in the UK.. probably 250ish each so 500ukp for the year each

OR we could get APs for the same price and fit in another trip. So we generally get an AP in December and get 3 weeks in that holiday, then do 3 weeks next may and 3 weeks nov/dec the next year out of it.

So sigh, I'm sure we'll be buying them again even though they are silly price

8. Wendy

Well don't forget the prices normally increase at the end of the month. It might be cheaper to buy them now, not as upgrades and keep them until December.

9. keith

very very good point. Is it still possible to buy APs which arent activated until we get there?

10. Wendy

Yes, that's what we did last year, I was sent exchange cards and we went to DTD to activate them. As far as I know there is a time limit on them.

11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I keep my drivers license in my little lanyard thing. Whenever I go to a resort they ask for it (even if staying onsite). This past trip has been the first time that the major parks have asked to see my Id as well

12. Wendy

I haven't got a photo id :sigh: I can see I'm going to have to change my driving licence for a photo one :sigh: I like my paper licence, I don't have to renew it every 10 years :lol:

13. keith

Any idea on the time limit ? hopefully december would be ok... did you just buy online on the Disney site?

14. keith

yep agreed, when going to a resort I havent been staying at they've always asked to see ID... just the first time they've asked when parking :/

15. Johnie

That's interesting that y'all don't have to have a photo drivers license. We do. Do you have to have another form of photo id?

16. keith

historically in the UK there has been no legal requirement for us to have any form of ID on us as we walk around at all. Police can demand production of a drivers license but that license didnt have a photo and could be produced later at a station rather than by the side of the road.

Some years ago the drivers license was updated to have 2 parts. A paper bit (just like it's always been) which is the full legal license, and a credit card sized photo license which is useful to carry around but isn't considered "the full license" without the paper bit :/ ironically, if you show the card in the UK almost every official body will say "wheres the paper?" whereas in the states they'll say "thanks" :lol: so the photo driving license has always felt more useful in the states than the UK!! the photo license also needs renewing every 10 yrs, the paper license was valid until the age of 70 or something (cant remember exactly)

For these reasons, people who have the OLD paper license hardly ever want to update them for the photo version!

In previous years, given 9/11 and the general stepping up of wanting to identify everyone at all times, millions have been spent on UK ID card schemes with laws being proposed that would make it mandatory for everyone to carry valid id at all times. This legislation has repeatedly failed and the ID card schemes scrapped.

To HAVE to carry ID, and especially photo ID, is VERY VERY VERY un-UKlike :D in fact one of the things UKers generally find amazing and actually offensive, is being ID'd in the states. It's one of those cultural things :)

17. Wendy

There isn't a time limit, so you could buy it now and activate it in December. I think I bought them online at wdw.com and they arrived in about 4 days.

18. keith

ahhh ok gotcha brilliant :)

19. Johnie

Thanks for the info :) I've grown up here with the fact that it is the law to have a photo id on my person at all times. It actually seems weird to not have to do that.

20. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Never been asked for ID at WDW - yet! But SeaWorld and Busch Gardens always need ID to park with annual passes. It's been hit and miss at Universal if we need the ID.