1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Another imac question

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by foreverducky, Jun 12, 2011.

1. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I'm definitely going to get the imac, but I have a few questions.

What's this I hear about a Lion? Does this mean I should wait until its a part of the new imac system (if that makes sense)? If I don't wait, then will I need to upgrade the system soon?

Also, there seems to be a choice between 'magic' devices. A mouse and trackpad. Which is better?
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Macosx Lion is the next rev of the OS due out to everyone in July. People who buy a system right now will get it either free or very very sheap :yes: It's a download for everyone this time around from the built in appstore, so basically one evening it'll just say "ok to install Lion?" and voila, you'll be upgraded

The mouse v trackpad decision. Oh gawd. where to even start :lol:

The mouse is very good indeed. Lovely feel, wireless, works brilliantly.

The trackpad is a laptop style trackpad. I have it and found it very hard to ditch the mouse for it. HOWEVER, apple are putting more and more "gestures" in their operating systems. "swipe 3 fingers down to...." and stuff like that which works brilliantly with the trackpad. MY feeling is that Apple would prefer the mouse to die (awwww) and everyone to have a trackpad and Apple have a way of really encouraging people the way they want to go.

So which to get? Well I'd personally play it safe and get the mouse but at least ask to have a go at the trackpad before you buy to see if you take an instant shine to it! Going forward, if you love the trackpad, you'll probably feel even more love for the whole apple experience than if you use the mouse.
  3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Yep. If you buy the iMac now, you "should" get Lion for free when it comes out. However, when Keith says cheap, he means really cheap. The Lion upgrade from the App store (the only way you can get it) is going to be priced at $29.99 here in the US so it's not really expensive anyway. :thumbsup:

I too have the mouse and love it. I bought the trackpad also since I wasn't wild about the location of the one on my Macbook Pro. Like Keith, I feel that the trackpad is the "preferred" direction that Apple would like to see things go. I've tried mine for a while and I still just prefer the mouse. :shrug:

The good news is that whichever you choose, you haven't closed the door to the other one at some point in time. I use both my mouse and my trackpad with my Mac. Both work just fine. So, if you start with one and later decide you'd like the other, it's not a problem. Either one costs $69.00 in the Apple Store. Easier enough to start with one and add the other one later if you choose.

Now, having said all that, once again I agree with Keith. With the advent of Lion on the horizon, Apple is putting lots more effort and functionality into gesture based computing. Here's the gestures teaser video from Apple:

[video=youtube;6X7i3L0TRE8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X7i3L0TRE8&hd=1[/video]

The net result of all this from my perspective is this:

1. There's no reason to wait for Lion. You'd probably end up getting it for free anyway and it will be good experience to go through the upgrade (it's usually quite painless)
    2. Mouse vs. Trackpad? Go to the Apple store and try them both out. Just remember when you do that Lion will enhance the trackpad functionality options for you.

Tom :)macwave:... once Lion's out, I'll revisit my trackpad!)
  4. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Thanks for the responses guys!

I will have to give them a go and see which I like, but I know that a regular track pad from a laptop vs a mouse...well the small rodent would win.