1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Another tipping question

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by keith, May 24, 2012.

1. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I understand not wanting to talk to the manager. But I don't think it needs to be a fight. An awesome manager wants to know what is going on in their establishment.

I'm feeling particularly sympathetic to the servers today because I have what we call support staff at work. There is one who is not the least bit supportive. Management won't do anything about it. It could be that way in some restaurants as well. But if you've encountered this problem more than once at a particular restaurant then that is a big problem. Too many great places to visit.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We have a saying at work "one touch fix, you won't get a second chance"

We basically assume that if we can't notice and fix your problem with our service in one go, immediately, and preferably before you even notice you have a problem, you'll end up just going elsewhere.

We went to ruby tuesdays this afternoon, ok it's not up there in the great restaurant list but yah know. So no knives/forks. We couldnt get our servers attention so we pinched them from another better laid out table. We asked for ice water, nothing arrived until second time we asked and then it took a fair while. The menu said xyz comes with .... when we asked she snapped "thats why I asked you what sides you wanted".

This is often how it is. It's not *AWFUL* it's just not *GREAT*. I kinda don't want to moan about these little things, but every time they happen, I'm mentally knocking down the gratuity.

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Keith, I am so with you! I absolutely hate having my night/day/meal out turning into a situation where I have to deal with talking with managers, all of whom argue. Period.

I will be far more likely to let the tip reflect my dissatisfaction with service. I know the difference between what the server is responsible for and isn't. I'll tell the server if I don't like what the kitchen has done, but I've actually refused to talk with managers before.

I don't go out to have to put up with bad service, poorly cooked food, and argumentative managers who don't want to hear that improvements need to be in some facet of their establishment.

I have a staff of over 70 and if I have to be responsible for everything they do, then a GM needs to step up too.

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Hmmm maybe I should dine with you. I swear I don't have nearly this many issues.

5. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I too don't like to confront the manager. It never seems to go quite like I'd planned. However, we did have something happen a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to share.

My DW and I like to dine at our local Chile's occasionally. On this last occasion, our server (a nice enough young lady) seemed to be hurrying us around every turn. Just a very rushed kind of attitude. When my DW and I go out to eat, we kind of like to take a moment to actually enjoy the occasion. If I wanted fast food, I'd go to McDonalds or something. I was pretty put out but, as usual, wasn't going to say anything. To the server or the manager. But as it happens, the manager was making rounds through the restaurant and happened to stop by our table to inquire if everything was OK. That gave me and my mouth the opportunity to voice my opinion. I told him that the meal was fine but we had felt terribly rushed throughout the whole thing and maybe they should just slow things down a bit. I explained that I know they want to get you in and out as quickly as possible since the more they sell the more they make. But maybe they could just tone it down a notch.

To my surprise, he about fell all over himself apologizing. Offered the explanation that they in no way wanted to hurry us and perhaps it was because our server was fairly new that she was trying too hard to be efficient. He then popped off to have a word with our server. My DW and I were just kind of sitting there with our jaws on the table. After a moment, he came back, apologized once again, and gave us a guest check for $20 to use on our visit. On our way out our server also stopped us and apologized also.

To be perfectly honest, I was more than a little impressed with their reaction. Socked was more like it! :shocked:

To my way of thinking, that's the way a place should always handle complaints. Not as an insult but as constructive criticism that's trying to help them provide a pleasant experience for their customers.

We've since been back there a couple of times and the service has been very good.

Tom :)macwave:... nice to see someone take responsibility so willingly!)

6. keith

That's truly great, if only more places responded like that!

7. Tink

Catrancher, that is a great experience and I completely agree. The managers should care about the entire experience, regardless of whether it's Chilli's or Uno's or Bern's. If they don't there are plenty of other places for a customer to go, especially in that nice comfortable bracket. :yes:

We're with you. When we go, we like to be able to hear (to carry on a conversation) and to not feel as though they are pushing the food at us to leave.

8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

If we get back service we don't leave a tip. Chris did speak to the manager in one restaurant once and the manager wasn't interested, no apologies nothing at all. Since then if we get a server who isn't interested or we get bad service, then we leave nothing.

9. Tink

And that sends a strong message. There isn't a server alive that doesn't understand when they get that response.

I hate the whole tipping scheme. Pay people fairly and call it good. Everyone goes on about how much it would raise costs. Nonsense. We're paying for it now!

10. keith

yeah absolutely agree.

The more the tips are integrated, expected and charged without option, the less well the scheme works anyway (if it ever did work well).

11. Tink

If there is an automatic gratuity, or a service charge, I don't add to it.

Unless, it's Ricardo. Then I do.