1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Any feelings...good or bad...about Biergarten?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Figment, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Figment

Figment Imagineer

We're wanting to try some place new in EPCOT. We've done Coral Reef and Le Cellier. And we did the place in Japan several years ago.

I've booked Biergarten because it looks interesting. Has anyone been there recently? I'd love some input...good or bad.

My only other real contender is Garden Grill...which looks good, but not as much variety.

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

We did it a couple of years ago and liked it well enough. I think I liked it better than my DW however.
    She's just not wild about "different" dining experiences. And it is just a bit different. :viking:

First of all it's a buffet. And a pretty good one I thought. Lots of German type food (obviously). Pretty good fare. And, you're seated at tables with other diners. This was the bit my DW didn't really care for. She's OK with it on the cruises because you spend a whole week dining with the same group of people but for a single night dinner, it's not her favorite. Didn't bother me though. Then there's the entertainment. A nice little German group plays typical Germanic songs (including Ein Prosit). From my perspective, it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening. I'd do it again. Not so sure about my DW.

Tom :)macwave:... why yes, I'll have a beer!)

3. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

entertainment 10/10 Beer 20/10 Buffet 1/10

but i don't like german food apart from the meat that is covered in breadcrumbs, pretzels and black forest gateaux LOL

4. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

We did it a few years ago, so I don't know if it's changed. We like German food and wine/beer and the entertainment was quite fun. if you find it easy to talk to strangers then you'll be fine, I'm not over-keen on communal eating. :unsure: All-in-all it's not bad. :thumbsup:

5. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i was quite up for the sitting with other folk but sadly we had miserable table guests who couldn't even muster a smile :thumbsdown:

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

OK, I lived in Germany for 13 years. Here is my opinion.

The first time I ever went I didn't particularly enjoy it and didn't go back for a long time. Since then they have changed the menu and it is considerably better. Now, having said that, I still think the food is too Americanized. This is my biggest complaint with all of Disney that serves continental food. They could go with a better selection of beer and wine. If you've never done it then I think the experience and the food are well worth it.

Ein Prosit, Ein Prosit der Gemuetlichkeit

Ein Prosit, Ein Prosit der Gemuetlichkeit

zicke zacke zicke zacke hoy, hoy, hoy

7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I'll drink to that! :bar:

Tom :)macwave:... why yesh beertender, I'll have another bar.)

8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I've always had a good time there. I don't like everything on the buffet but lol that is true for any of them. I do always leave full.

9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I've never been as I don't fancy sharing a table with strangers, but we have all the menus for Epcot here if you want to take a look at what's on offer at other places :D

10. Figment

Figment Imagineer

Don't worry Wendy...already been checking the menus...that's how I narrowed it down in the first place. :yes: The menu sounds intriguing and I think we'd find enough we like (we love sausage)...just wanted some opinions of anyone that had actually been. Not sure DH will enjoy the *mass seating* arrangements, though.:unsure:

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We've always enjoyed ourselves there, although can't say as the communal eating is my favorite.

Here's a little known secret. You can request a private table! They have a few, and they are not the best view, but if it will detract from your enjoyment to eat with strangers, you can try.

Morocco is along the same lines, only not a buffet. We've always enjoyed ourselves there, too. :yes:

12. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

The communal dining isn't too bad. Of course I've never me a stranger so that helps lol. But I usually just smile & say hi. We did have one family who were very upset to share a table with beer drinkers. You should have seen the dirty glances.

13. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I think it's so odd to share tables. Of course, I'm an only child, so maybe I'm not the best at sharing. ;)

I remember that the food was good, but I was uncomfortable sharing a table with people I don't know.

14. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I guess one of the major reasons that I've never had a problem sharing a table with strangers is that I spent a good deal of time in Germany. You can't go to a Volksmarch, Wine Festival, Spring or Fall Festival, Oktoberfest, etc. without sharing a table.

15. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

We enjoy it very much! Clearly the "communal table" is not an issue for me, but it is for Jon. We solve that by seating me (and Andrew) to the inside, at which point I smile, say "HI!" and carry on with my family. Social cues are typically easy to read, you can pick up on which families are up for chatting and which one's prefer to be left to their own. Jon LOVED the Spaten Optimator. Sadly, they no longer have it, but as memory serves, he did manage to find something he enjoyed (a lot of). I'm not a beer drinker, but I do very much enjoy the wine flights. The food is typical for Disney, EPCOT in particular. Enough of a local flair to make people feel like they are experiencing something fun, but not enough authenticity to put off "choosy" diners. Personally, I could fill up on the pretzel bread and bratwurst :) Upside is, I don't care for their desserts, so I can always leave there with a sweet tooth.....to satisfy somewhere else in the "world."

16. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

Ive only eaten there once and it was it was at least 10 years ago and from I remember was that we had a good time and enjoyed ourselves but the food was so so at best. How we wound up in the restaurant is kind of a funny story. We had been to WDW a few times and on this particular trip I brought my mother with us. My mom is a piece of work and lots of laughs, so on this particular day my wife and I were trekking thru Epcot with my infant son and my mom when the clouds darkened and lightning began to strike. We happen to be in front of Germany and since none of us had any prior experience with German food we decided my mom would go check out the buffet selection to see if we could find something we could all eat. After about 5 or 10 minutes she never came out so my wife went in to find her and my wife came out with her face all red and said " go inside and get your mother". I went inside and mom Was holding a plate of deserts and eating from it while standing on the same line waiting for seconds. I couldn't stop laughing and immediately went to the hostess and got us a seating for four. The show was entertaining and like I said earlier the food was so so at best.