1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Any news on the development of Pleasure Island?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Addicted2theMouse, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Addicted2theMouse

Addicted2theMouse Earning my ears

Hi,

has anyone heard any new news on the development of what was Pleasure Island?

Apart from the "official statement" that it will be for more shopping and restaurants?

All boards seem to have gone quiet on this issue in recent months and was just wondering if this is because there has been no development over there?

I had my fingers crossed for more evening entertainment such as shows and dinner shows however don't think this is the direction Disney are going to take on this one :(

xxx

2. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

I wish I could answer your questions but I know nothing. I am under the impression they were trying to make it more geared towards families but I could be wrong about that.

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

At this time it's pretty boring. Sorry to be so blunt, but that is my honest thought. There is the new restaurant, but it's not all that interesting... The clubs remain closed and there are no indications of them reopening as anything else any time soon.

I don't know what Disney truly has in mind, but whatever it is, they would do well to get on with it. PI isnlittle more htan a walk through right now.

(Yes, there is some outdoor entertainment but is a real yawn. :sorry: ).

4. Addicted2theMouse

Oh dear :(

Come on Disney sort yourselves out, why close it you silly sausages if you were just going to leave it empty.

Lets all hope they'll just open something amazing! xx (hopefully before I go next year!!)

5. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

A close CM friend of mine told me that Disney had to close the place down because of all the trouble they were having from certain drunken revellers which was tarnishing the Disney image.
    Actually, although the land on which PI stands is owned by Disney, all of the various bars, shops and restaurants etc. are franchised to others.
    As such this is one [probably the only one] of the areas on Disney property that is policed by regular cops rather than Disney Security.

6. Addicted2theMouse

Gosh, I didnt realise there was that much trouble there?

My friend got assualted in a club there last time we went and the local cops were there so fast and they were really great. But he was left with awfull bruises and cuts for the rest of the holiday, not a good look walking round the Magic Kingdom :(

I am going to lobby Disney for a Broadway type show district to replace Pleasure Island :)

x

7. Slowhand

You wouldn`t believe some of the things I was told about what used to go on there, some of which were not purely restricted to alcohol!
    It`s sad when a few idiots spoil things for the majority eh?

8. Addicted2theMouse

Oh my, no wonder Disney closed it down (whether thier hand was forced or not) you wouldnt want that anywhere especially not in a family environment.
    I don't have children myself but would definatly not want to see any of that on my holiday.

Lets hope they find something exciting to replace it with, fingers crossed for dinner shows or dining experinces not just more shops!!! :)

9. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

I never once went to Pleasure Island. I'm just not a bar person & I don't dance so it just didn't appeal to me. I hope they do open up some places that may not appeal to drunks & trouble makers as much. Anytime there is alcohol & a party atmosphere you can usually count on one or two jerks to ruin things because they have no control.

10. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I just want the Adventurer's Club back! :sigh:

Tom :)macwave:... nothing better than a conversation with a disembodied head!)

11. Slowhand

Me too! Just so long as there is someone to hide behind when they do the "stage" bit. :hide:

12. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Me too! It was the best place!!

13. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

What was that?

14. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I'm not sure I've got words to explain it. :unsure:

Think of it kind of like this. Imagine a private club, set in 1937 resplendent with it's own cast of characters. These characters perform much like a play, but with several differences. In this play, rather than having the actors on a stage and you in the audience, this play has the actors mingled in with you and you being dragged into the performances yourself. Perhaps a play is a misnomer here. It more like a series of skits/performances that appear at random and various times in one room or another. Also, some of the "actors" may actually be decorations mounted on the wall!

For instance, you may be sitting at the bar in the Main Salon, enjoying a Kungaloosh (the official drink of the Adventurers Club) when the Colonel "makes an appearance" to lead you in the club song! He'll also lead you in the new member induction ceremony at some point in time.

There's a tribute site here that has some pictures and can give you a bit of a feel for the place.

The Adventurers Club tribute

Personally, I think it was the best place in all of Pleasure Island. In fact, it's pretty much the only club we ever frequented over there.

Tom :)macwave:... I'll have 'nother Kungaloosh, prease!)

15. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I'll certainly echo that response. Best adult entertainment at Disney.

16. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We aren't big drinkers, nor are we huge partiers (now I know THAT is a news flash! :lol: ) but it was fun to walk through PI of an evening. There used to be a stage at the west end and it was fun to listen to the music for a bit. When they took the stage away, it still was ok... then they dismantled it all. :sigh:

City Walk manages to stay open. :shrug:

17. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Seriously! City Walk is WAY worse than PI ever managed to be.

18. Addicted2theMouse

What is City Walk like? I've only ever walked through it during the day on the way to the parks x

19. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

20. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

The Adventurers Club sounds like it was quite the place! Looks like it will be missed.

If City Walk is the Universal place (which I think it is) I imagine it is much, much worse than anything Disney had.