1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Any restaurant recommendations

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Suebeattie, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

We probably wont eat out every night but may do a few curb side pick ups and wanted to get an idea of the restaurants close to where we are but I have no idea where to start.
    So, where have you eaten that you recommend?? We are staying close to Vinelands (seaworld end of I-Drive) the first week and then we are just off the 192 behind animal kingdom the 2nd week.
    I would love to here any must dos or must donts you know of in those areas (or even away from those areas, we have a car :) )
    Thank you :) :)
    :wiggle:

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

For the Vinelands area, I'd head to the Dr. Phillips area (Sand Lake, cross over Turkey Lake, and starting there through a right on Dr. Phillips Blvd). You really can't go wrong with any restaurant in that area. There are many price points there, and even some good ethnic restaurants. The Lebanese restuarant is very nice (Cedars) but the Indian one on Sand Lake is not so good. For EXCELLENT Indian, go to the intersection of Sand Lake and Turkey Lake and take a right on Turkey Lake (head for Gold's Gym, or K-Mart). There is a wonderful little Indian restaurant in there, Memories of India.

Otherwise, Melting Pot, Season's 52, Ruth's Chris, and too many to list really all in that area. Once you make the turn on to Dr. Phillips Blvd. there is Morton's, Too Jay's (quite nice for breakfast or lunch) several "local" places, all good... Stonewood further along the road.

Near Animal Kingdom there are many places too, on 192. Miller's Ale House is always good. Good basic food in huge portions. Joe's Crab Shack is along there (if you like seafood) and so is Bone Fish. A bit more upscale than Joe's but still affordable. However, the food isn't necessarily better than Joe's! Along that strip we avoid the Chinese places, Outback (sorry, loads of folks love it, but we aren't among them) and Carabbas (or however it's spelled). Red Lobster is along there, and if you order the fresh fish of the day, or the lobster it's quite decent (and VERY affordable). Same for Olive Garden. They are very basic places, but give good value for decent food. Nothing gourmet, but solid stuff.

Oh, and with the AKL stay, you won't be far from Celebration so you may want to try any of the places there. May I ask a favor? If you dine in Columbia at Celebration during September, you'll be given a card to select a charity to donate a portion of the proceeds from your dinner to. Would you choose the Alzheimer's one? That's "mine." (Place of employment).

At any rate, we generally avoid any and all buffets off property, even Sweet Tomatoes anymore. They've all had real challenges with sanitary matters so we'll skip them thanks. The only buffets we'll do are on Disney Property.

Oh, if you care to venture further along I Drive there is a fabulous Ethiopian restaurant tucked up in a strip mall area. Rather tricky to find, but so worth it!

Suebeattie likes this.
  3. Suebeattie

Wow tink thank you so much - this is exactly what I was after. We are staying in timeshare apartments so not onsite at disney and I want to try and find something other than steakhouses all the time (this my aim for this holiday but knowing me I'll probably revert back to form and stick with what i know lol).
    I will have a good look at all your suggestions later on :) thanks again
    :wiggle:

4. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

I will echo Tink's recommendations for Melting Pot, Ruth's Chris and Miller's Ale House. If you go to Ale House you must try the Zingers!

5. Tink

If you like nachos, bring an Army! LOL!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  6. Suebeattie

Sounds fab thanks guys :)

7. Tink

Now, if you want to venture forth, and visit a truly unusual and very cool place, find your way to Yellow Dog Eats in Gotha. :D :D :D Trust me on this. It's worth the drive and the hunt!

Suebeattie likes this.
  8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I'll second that, it's the best pulled pork you will ever taste :yes:

9. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

I have a document I send to our guests with restaurants that we like so if you would like it then e-mail me and I'll be happy to send it to you :) My e-mail is:- sandra@arkvilla.com

10. Suebeattie

Ah fab thanks Sandra, will ping an email over this morning. :)