1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Anyone done the wild africa trek?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by chipndale, Sep 1, 2013.

1. chipndale

chipndale Imagineer

Just wondering if anyones done the wild Africa trek, it sounds good but bits sound scary like having to go across a narrow bridge and stuff?????
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've not done it, but I do want to! I've seen people on the trek though, when we were on the safari. They do have a high perch that they look down on the crocs. It was a little scary looking up from the ground. They seem to be in some really neat areas of the safari/serengetti. I'm sure they keep the tour participants as safe as humanely possible.
  3. *Bambi-Belle*

*Bambi-Belle* Imagineer

I love the look of this.
  4. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

It depends what you personally mean by scary! I did this when it first opened and I really liked it, and would do it again. Yes, there is a narrow bridge to walk across, which I didn't find scary, but if you are worried about those kind of things I guess you might, although you are securely attached at all times. However, you may well be able to bypass that bit if you ask them, as there must be a different route. When you are leaning over the rocks to see the hippos you are also tethered, so it is all safe at all times. If you like animals, and want to see behind the scenes, then this really is a great experience. You see some animals close up that you would only see from a distance on the Safari and see some really neat things about how it is all managed.

I think our Vikki did this too on her latest trip, so she may be along to give you more up to date info!
  5. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I did, and here I am :)

It was absolutely brilliant! I was on my own so worried I'd be a billy no mates but the guides were so good, they involved everyone really well.

You don't see anything that you can't see on the safari, but you get an awful lot closer, and meet several experts along the way. You do get clipped to safety things, but this is only for the first hour or so, before you go to the savannah. I'm scared of heights but the bridge was absolutely fine :)

You get to go in a hide type building and was served what I was told was snacks. They were not snacks! It was almost a full on meal and was totally delicious. There were binoculars for us to use there too.

They take photos as you go round and these are included in the price. I can post some if you'd like. You get to keep a cool water bottle too ;)

If you've got any specific questions I'd be happy to help :p
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Would love to see photos. :)
  7. Vikki

I'll pop some on when I'm on the laptop tomorrow
  8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Looking forward to seeing the photos :D
  9. Figment

Figment Imagineer

Just so everyone knows...they do offer an adapted version of this for the scooter/wheelchair bound. My son, niece and I did the Trek in June. Jordan and Bethany did the regular tour (and LOVED it) and I did the adapted tour on my scooter.

While the others were doing the bridges I had a personal guide along the Pagani Forest Trail...Shane...who was just wonderful. He had a camera and took pictures of the animals and me along the way. A bird expert met up with us to give me a personal little *experience* and answer any questions I might have. Also met up with one of the gorilla handlers and learned all sorts of cool stuff about the breeding programs, etc.

I met up with the rest of the gang on the safari truck and we continued along towards the lunch spot..stopping along the way to take some amazing photos that you just can't get on the regular safari.

And as Vikki said, the food (served in metal Bento boxes) is really good...it doesn't look like much at first since it is just little bits of several things...curry chicken salad, red pepper hummus, shrimp, fruit, and a salmon pinwheel w/ a dikon salad, (something else that escapes me right now) and a couple of mini pitas...but it really is satisfying. And there is the yummy frunch from Boma to drink.

I will try to get some pictures up as well.
  10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Hmm, can you tell them about food allergies for the Bento Box? Donna doesn't do ANY seafood or fish.
  11. Vikki

Absolutely, they asked me if I had any allergies when I checked in. I'd also mention it when booking, just to be on the safe side :)
  12. buzzchamp

buzzchamp Imagineer

wow this sounds great Id love to see some photos, still worried about those bridges though :rolleyes:
  13. Vikki

Seriously, the bridges are fine. If it was a real problem for you I wonder if they'd walk you round. They were very specific asking anyone if they thought they'd have a problem with the bridges.
  14. Vikki

Ok, have tried uploading photos from my laptop but am struggling as the size is too big.....it resizes on Tapatalk for me. Can someone help??
  15. Vikki

I've followed the instructions in the photo upload thread, but it's not giving me the option to attach as a thumbnail.....
  16. Figment

Figment Imagineer

There are nets under the bridges and you are attached to a safety cord (according to my son).
  17. Figment

Figment Imagineer

I would assume so John...Disney is always willing to make adjustments...perhaps she could have extra hummus or chicken salad. I loved the shrimp (and got to eat my niece's 2 pieces and Jordan's as well...lol), but did not care at all for the salmon pinwheel (and I do normally like salmon) but the jicama slaw under the salmon was very nice.