1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

anyone got the new iphone 3gs?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by pigletpete, Jun 19, 2009.

1. pigletpete

pigletpete Imagineer

has anyone got the new iphone 3gs yet?

Is it faster or better?

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Does wishing I did count? :unsure:

Yes and yes. Here's a comparison page of what's new and different from the current 3G models.

Tom :)macwave:... always wanting more...)

3. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Well I had a pretty nice dream last night that I did... does that count? :unsure:

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

DW has ours so won't be able to play till she gets back :( then I'll let you know

5. catrancher

Ohhh.... give the voice control a shot and let me know how it goes! :mental:

Tom :)macwave:... it's easier to say it than do it!)

6. keith

Will do!

Im hoping one day they'll get voice to text going, that would be useful sometimes

7. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

DH was hoping to get one in Florida when we go. I have heard though even if you buy through Apple out there you have to take out the contract. Is this right?

8. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

Help! What does internet tethering mean? Something about using my iphone as a modem? Will I need that? :unsure:

9. keith

yep, you can buy pay as you go but it's insanely expensive because there's no subsidy. If you bought in the states, you'd have to buy on an AT&T contract which would be a rather terrible idea if you were to use it in the UK

10. keith

nope probably not. It's in case you want to attach it to your laptop and use the iphone to provide internet to your laptop. Most people won't want to do that and if you ever do, you can always add it (there's a free hack to do it as well but it's perhaps a tad dodgy)

So ignore it for now and if you need it later you can add it

11. mainecoon lover

Would it be a one of contract payment or monthly. I have heard $99 for contract. DH will unlock the phone. He would then not use the contract.

12. keith

I bet Tom will know more than I about the US contracts but given they subsidise the phone, I can't see them letting you off with a one off $99.

I'm pretty sure it's a 24month contract and $39.99 a month is about the cheapest :/

I honestly can't see buying one out there making sense for UK folks

13. mainecoon lover

Thanks Keith :thumbsup:. Oh well more for me to spend in Tiffany's :yes:

14. catrancher

As far as I know, I'd have to agree with Keith. If you buy here in either the Apple store or an AT&T store, you've got to take the AT&T contract. Two years and $39.99 a month is the cheapest according to the AT&T web site.

The only other way that I know would be to try to grab one off fleaBay. :unsure:

Tom:)macwave:... AT&T say's "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later... but you're gonna pay me!")

15. keith

hehe typical Apple really, it's very swish especially for a 1st generation of voice control. Hold down the home button and you get the voice control screen, from there it's easy to say "call Keith" if I wanted to talk to myself :) or "play songtitle"

There are lots of useful ipod style commands like "pause music", "who is this song by", "previous track" "what song is playing?", "shuffle" and "play more like this" which work particularly well!

It can and does get things wrong from time to time but for a device with no voice recognition training needed, it's especially good and I suspect I'll be the one trained quickly to deliver the commands more accurately to IT.

Lots of cute touches. If you say "call keith" and there are several keiths in your list, it will read out the list for you to choose which one and the names sort of float by on screen as well. It's all very impressive

Likewise if Keith has a work and home number defined and you don't specify, it'll ask you which one.

Other things noticed. It IS much faster and though frankly I didn't have a problem with the 3G phone AT ALL, when I went back to it after using the 3gs it felt slow and not just a little slow. So I guess don't try a 3gs unless you're willing to buy. Web pages snap into place instead of dribbling and apps are just there as soon as you touch the icon - much more palm os than windows mobile ish (which is why I always liked palm)

The compass is a cool toy on its own and absolutely essential in conjunction with maps. Finally it's possible to have it genuinely guide you in the right direction.

The video recording is fine. I dont really know what to say on the whole camera thing because I'm a bit of a purist on the camera front and regard cell phone cameras as icky little things. All I can say is I took the same photo on both devices and the 3gs is significantly sharper and clearer with much more accurate focussing. The video recording worked and I suppose is useful to have, I guess (despite having it had it on cell phones before and never ever using it). If you're a cell phone camera person, the 3gs is a major upgrade.

Finally the screen is different. I haven't decided if it's actually better yet but it's warmer I suppose. I don't know that it's quite as "contrasty". I can't say better or worse yet, all I know is it's different. When I looked it up on the web it's apparently because they wanted a material which is much more fingerprint resistant. I've always applied a top quality screen protector day one to all my phones so I've never really had a problem but apparently they were prone to sticky patches (eek!) where finger oils would get in the way of sensing a touch. The new one is supposed to be much better at that as well as being more scratch resistant. I think I'll still apply the screen protector since they're 99.99% invisible and offer a bit more security.

So that's it really! See how the battery life does, it's supposed to be better but I suspect only incrementally.

After a few hours playing I'd say, if anyone is out to buy a new iphone, get the 3gs and dont bother saving a few bucks for an earlier one. It's the best iphone yet without any doubt.

If you can upgrade cheaply from the 2g, again, it's an obvious and pleasing upgrade with no doubt in my mind.

If you already have a 3G then things aren't so clear. It's better that's for sure but not so much that I'd pay a lot of money to get it. Unless you REALLY need one of the new features, simply wait until your contract runs out and upgrade to whichever one is available at that time.

16. catrancher

Great review, Keith. Thanks!

Much as I'd like one, I guess I'll stick with my original iPhone for the time being. Maybe after the contract runs out I'll take a peek. There's no doubt it's got functionality I'd like to have and the extra speed is nice. :yes:

I just can't justify the upgrade cost right now. :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... nothing more money wouln't solve!)

17. catrancher

Hey Keith,

Thought of one more question regarding the voice control. :questionmark:

I use my iPhone in my car tethered to the audio system. Usually, I have it laying on the center console. How close do you need to be to the iPhone to have it pick up your voice commands? I was wondering if it would work while laying on the console.

Tom :)macwave:... oh no! Stray thoughts in my head! Somebodystopme!)

18. keith

hmmmm I'm trying to think how to easily and objectively test this one. I had it on the desk and I was speaking fairly normally and it responded fine even though the TV was on in the study so it was by no means silent.

The accuracy does seem to improve with proximity though hmm hmmm need to test a bit more.

19. catrancher

Thanks, mate! :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... waits patiently for the "final report"!)

20. The Blue Fairy

The Blue Fairy Earning my ears

Does the new iphone have a radio? :unsure: