1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Anyone hired a car from MCO recently?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Slowhand, May 20, 2013.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah it's the same as GOLD on dollar but without the tank of fuel (it's always cheaper to just put $60 or whatever in though than let them charge for a tank)

Extra drivers free which is good!

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Every time I read a post about one of our dear Brit friends renting a car I go into sticker shock. Here in the US either our personal auto insurance or our credit cards usually cover rental car insurance. Also the first tank of gas is an option. You can choose to prepay or you can just return it full. Depending on how long you plan to keep the car the prepay option may be best. But if, for example you are in and out on a quick business trip then it is normally cheaper to buy the gas yourself before returning the car. Also it is also generally a LOT cheaper to prepay the tank vice returning it to the airport and letting them fill it up for you. The last time I did something like this gas was still under $3.00/gallon. They offered me the prepay at about $2.54 which was still cheaper than if I stopped at a gas station and filled it myself. If I let them fill it when I got back however, they wanted over $4.00/gallon.

3. keith

yes agreed John it's quite crazy

Some of the US rental companies who allow you a choice on fuel, DEMAND that international renters pay up front for the fuel. So there's no way to avoid it, it's often 70UKP or something (105USD) so it's almost always cheaper to fill it up before hitting the airport (even at one of the expensive near airport garages if needs must).

If we go to Dollar, we would normally pay another 60UKP or something and that would upgrade us to additional drivers + a tank of fuel so we dont need to fill it up but it's still crazy REALLY.

The alamo-brit has free additional drivers but it has to be returned full (to avoid the REALLY expensive fill that they would do) so it makes sense to just stop on the way to the airport and fill it up. I dont find that too bad, I often prepay for a tank and end up returning it with 1/4 left which REALLY bugs me :lol:

4. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Last year was the first year I have been old enough to drive over in the States without paying a lot of money.

There wasn't a great deal price difference between the companies and we opted with Alamo.

I went with a convertable as it's the only time i'll ever get to drive one :)

We had two cars to choose from and both were banged and scratched to ribbons, so I made the customer service staff sign my form to say that I hadn't caused the damage, which was lucky because on return they were trying to make me pay for the damage.

I had the option to return the car with little or no fuel.

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

GOOD GRIEF. That is highway robbery. I'd be reporting that to the BBB.

6. canesandphins1

canesandphins1 Imagineer

I live in Orlando there are two gas stations les than a mile from the airport and charge close to $1.50 more a gallon than stations about another 1/4 to 1/2 mile down the road please be aware of that they are building a wawa almost directly across from those two rip off stations and they have publicly stated they will be charging the same as all other wawa in Orlando

7. keith

Thanks that's useful to know! we went back to orlando airport last week and I noticed that even 5 mins down the road although it was a LITTLE more pricey it wasn't $1.50 more...... but important to know where the expensive ones are to avoid them

I guess as long as the petrol dial is pretty much on full they shouldnt moan

8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I wish that us Brits only paid $4 a gallon instead of the stupid crazy price that we have to pay over here. :furious:

9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

You can fill up your rental car right there at Disney (at the Hess station which is generally cheaper than offsite), drive to MCO and it will still be full. I've done this a billion times :)

10. keith

ooo thats EXCELLENT to know! Thanks Johnie!!

11. Slowhand

Yes, I`ve also done that loads of times.
    I guess many others do it also because I`ve lost count of the number of times that I`ve rented a car from MCO with a "full" tank of gas yet within only a few miles the needle starts to drop!

12. keith

ahhhh sure all starts to make sense! there's me topping up a mile down the road from mco at horrendous prices and STILL worrying in case they notice I've done a mile :lol: oh well, I'll know next time

13. Slowhand

I`m sure that you will all be delighted to know that I have now booked our rental car via Alamo, using the link supplied by Keith.
    I`ve also opted for the "Save Time" feature which hopefully will speed up the collection process.
    Again thanks for that link Keith. :thumbsup:

14. keith

EXCELLENT interested to hear how it works for you Terry !

15. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

If it's just Jai and I we always book a 2 door car as none of the hire companies have them so you get a 4 door anyway.

We have used most of the car hire companies at MCO and all have been easy to deal with but we always, always book using:- http://www.usrentacar.co.uk/

They often have free upgrade offers and the prices are always the best :)

Sandra

(edited to remove referrer ID)

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013