1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Anyone stayed there...or any feedback?

Discussion in 'Itineraries' started by Slowhand, May 5, 2012.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

After the "Florida leg" of our next trip in June/July we will be flying to New York where we will meet up with our friends from LA in order to take the DCL cruise.
    We will be spending 3 nights in New York, both before and after the cruise ie 6 nights in all.

I have left the hotel arrangements for when we are in New York in the very capable hands of our friends who have negotiated a good deal for Le Parker Meridian at 119 West 56th Street via their company. [The vice president of that company always stays there when he is in town, so if it`s good enough for him etc.etc.]

There appears to be mixed reviews on Trip Advisor [as there always is !!!], so has anyone here actually stayed at that hotel?
    Its location seems superb...overlooking Central Park, not far from where the ship docks, near to 5th Ave. etc.etc.

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

No, I've not stayed there but where on Central Park is it? I've stayed in hotels on Central Park South... It's a huge area and it will matter.

When I use trip advisor, I look at the complaints and try to determine if that is something I would have even noticed? Hopefully, that helps a bit.

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I have and loved it. I dont have the BEST luck with hotels in NY, mainly because it's usually for business and someone else books me in the cheapest dive they can find :lol: so normally it's not a large enough room to swing a small cat and there's normally interesting sounds from above/side. Anyway I digress, Le Parker was great and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

4. Slowhand

That`s good to hear Keith, many thanks. :thumbsup:
    I assumed it would be fine, especially as it was recommended by the VP of our friends` company in the States. :yes:

It just goes to show that some folks will moan about anything on sites like Trip Advisor, so if it`s good enough for our friends` boss and you too, then I`m sure all will be hunky dory.

5. Slowhand

Hmmm, I dunno Tink! :unsure:
    I don`t know NY that well but there is a map of its location on their web site and I`m told it is very convenient from the dock from where the DCL ship will sail from.

6. Tink

It's all ok, though! Keith has stayed there and given a good report, so it's not like I can be of further assistance. My knowledge of Manhattan is very specific to only what I know (if that makes any sense). I was hoping to be able to extend that understanding by location, but it's not needed. :D

You should have a wonderful time! :yes:

7. keith

In fairness, Ive been in some .... interesting... "hotels" (note the quotes :lol: ) in NY so in comparison to those anything would be wonderful :lol: but nah, I thought it was pretty spot on and a great location.

It's all so subjective but I think tripadvisor people just like to moan

8. keith

Im really rubbish at directions but I'd say a couple of blocks from the south end of Central Park. COMPLETELY strollable, didnt feel unsafe at all and did the mandatory carriage ride of course (and froze to death).

I guess perhaps it's just me but I was overjoyed by staying in the middle of it all! Every time I walked in any direction, I'd be seeing some landmark or something I'd seen on tv. I'm sure a tourist :lol:

9. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Glad Keith could help. :yes:

Closest I could come was the Holiday Inn over on West 57th. I definitely wouldn't recommend that one. :nono:

As far as where it is, maybe this'll help...

Google maps view.

Looks to be on the same block as the Russian Tea Room and Carnegie Hall and not far from Columbus Circle and Lincoln Center.

Tom :)macwave:... uptown, downtown, all around the town.)

10. Slowhand

Yep, I THINK that was the Holiday Inn that we stayed at when we went in the 80`s to see a certain Mr. Clapton who was playing at Madison Square Gdn.
    Mind you we couldn`t complain as the total cost...including air fares with VA, 5 nights accommodation, tickets for the concert and a helicopter trip [which sadly we didn`t do because of the inclement weather at the time] only came to around $800 pp. :lol:

11. keith

stayed there too .... and that was what I had in mind when I commented about interesting noises coming from other rooms. In particular a lot of, banging, noises and they must have been some kind of religious nuts because I remember the lady kept calling out oh God.

Wafer thin walls and tiny tiny rooms.

We stayed there on some sort of package deal, NY, Orlando and vegas and yeah it was indeed VERY cheap but shudder :lol:

Perhaps it's some kind of NY right of passage that everyone has to survive a night at the holiday inn :lol:

12. Tink

:lolchair::laugh::ROFL1:

We had a similar thing happen in Newark, NJ. We checked out the next morning and move hotels.

We once stayed in a hotel (I think it was a Howard Johnsons!) on 34th st. It was so small our outstretched arms were too wide for the room! LOL.

We never ran into any overly religious folks though, thank heaven. :D

13. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

That's the place! I was there for the COMDEX/Spring in 1981. Had a hooker follow me up to my room and try to barge her way into the room. Threatened to scream if I didn't let her in. I told her to go ahead and scream her lungs out and slammed the door in her face. :evil:

Don't remember what my company paid for that room but I do know it wasn't worth it. :thumbsdown:

Only good bit was the little bar just down the street. All of us in my company who were working the exhibit kind of adopted the place and we ended up spending most of our waking hours there when we weren't working the show.

Tom :)macwave:... Hello sir! May I show you the new Level 6 mini computer? I'll leave you to figure out the vendor.)

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  14. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

:ROFL1: :lol: :laugh: oh Keith :lol:

15. keith

Exactly my point! but she insisted on saying God :/

16. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

:lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Tink

KEITH!!!! :eek: :lol:

When I was in uni one of my classmates took pity on a woman who was walking along the street one cold winter night and offered her a lift to her destination. She got in and yep, you guessed it. She was a pro. He had to pay her to get out of his car! :lol:

18. keith

Sorry :sorry: It's just such a painful memory for me. I mean, with that kind of professional performance going on next door, it really just sets the bar way high for the rest of us!! Talk about performance anxiety! :tongue:

:lol: :lol:

19. Tink

Honey, anyone who has to howl to the moon like that... points more toward "methinks thou doth protest" too much, eh? ;)

Those who are adept are far more discrete and savor the moments for themselves, not howl to the ceiling hoping someone will know what they are doing. :point: