1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Apple announcement 9th Sept

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Deafjeff, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

This sounds really clever. I assume this is Macbook only?

I can no longer use my original ipad. None of the apps etc are compatible so it is affectively a brick.

I purchased a second hand Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 to get my by and must admit like the flexiblity of it compared to the ipad. So much so I was considering having an andriod phone rather than an iphone in a few months when my contract expires. The only thing that stops me is my plan to by a Apple Mac for my home computer (when I can afford it).

What I have noticed with the tab though is it is slowing down (a lot like a PC does) where I hadn't noticed that with the ipad.

I still prefer the ipad to the galaxy tab (just about) and was thinking about buying a newer ipad while out in Orlando (if I could find one cheap enough).

But we shall see what this announcement has to bring before I decide on anything.

What I do like about the apple products though is the way they speak to each other

2. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

I had both..... As much I like flexibility with android etc..... I can see why apple products really do work together quite well.

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I know technically what you mean by the flexibility of android... and there are some apps that you can't get on apple which do low level things etc...

but... 1) I think that gives bad apps, malware etc a lot more chance to do damage and
    2) I never really hear from anyone any MUST HAVE android apps that aren't on apple ?

So, if there really aren;t any killer apps, I'm not sure of the point of the openess :/

4. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

5. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I'd like the flexibity to design my own home screen with widges etc.

The selection of apps are not an issue it's just being able to be a bit more creative that I miss out on I feel.

6. keith

yeah..... the thing is, they're based in hong kong so the kit is import and that CAN have an effect on warranty. a few years back they had a really bad reputation for saying in stock at cheapest price but then not actually being able to get you the kit for weeks because they were trying to get them back from HK. Don't know if it's the same now

7. keith

The home screen is admittedly poor on apple devices :( just not changed from 2006. Android has widgets, windows phone has the brilliant live tiles... but of course very difficult to apple to pinch those whilst still being different from the pack :/

I *REALLY* rate the windows live tiles as the best home screen in the market...

8. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

We've had no problems - takes a couple of weeks to arrive sometimes but when you save £200 it really doesn't matter - plus an ipad mini that we had was sorted under apple warrenty

9. keith

they must've improved... it's been a few years since I've tried em