1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Apple Anonymous

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by catrancher, May 16, 2012.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Just an innocent question, are you prepared to wait 9 months for one?? ;) :D

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Same phone number??

3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Wow, that's a toughie. Err... ummm.... well.... uh... lemme think. Hmmm....

I dunno? :shrug:

Who?

Tom :)macwave:... who really did fall off the turnip truck just last night as a matter of fact!)

4. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Well, hoping to keep cost down and I like the slim profile of the 2. Great idea on the purchase agreement. Can't hurt to ask.

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

:yes: it's the same number John :)

6. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Addicted to Mickey

So. Day two of MBP Retina Display.

Had to take a trip to the Temple of Apple as the power adaptor/plug that came with the laptop didn't work! Sob!!

Nice Apple acolyte was able to furnish me with a new one and sent me away with blessings.
    Now it's fully charged and looking lovely. Scared to leave it outside of its box unsupervised until Apple release a hard case for it.

Video editing is now a dream compare to my old 2006 iMac! (he says to justify the expenditure).

Ps if a guy turns up at your door waving his hands around in the air, that'll be Deafjeff doing the jobs he's been rented out for. I'll be collecting the money this weekend :yes: haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Watchinherskip

Well, as promised, bought an new iPad this weekend. DW is off to Colorado to see her sister, and I wanted to let her take our "old" iPad 2. Loaded a movie for her trip (North by Northwest)...

Since DD, DW and I all wanted to use the original one (we have only had it about a month and we can't do without it) I decided to pull the plug and get another one.

Stopped in the Apple store in Norfolk. Staff was terribly busy and had to wait for help..grrrrrrrrr. Plan was to get an iPad 2 with larger memory...well they don't make those anymore. So we looked at the new iPad and another iPad 2. We opted for the new iPad with all the fancy stuff. I guess the processor is faster, has a better camera, and the retina display. My opinion...I should have saved the $100 and bought the iPad 2. I don't see much of a difference between the two...maybe I am a moron.:tongue:

Really dig the synching thing. All my apps transferred to the new one. It was up and running in about 30 minutes.

Now would like to try face to face with my DW in Colorado. Anyone want to give a few tips? I set up an account. Does my wife have to do the same? I see the contacts in the list, I see her email. Do I just select her name?

8. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

mmmm i only just saw this i'll get my cat woman costume :crack whip:

scared ya now huh? :ROFL:

9. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Does everyone feel comfortable purchasing things (i.e. Amazon) while using the iPad? Regarding the security of your information.

10. catrancher

Absolutely. :yes:

The security of your purchase isn't so much the device you're using. It's more the protocol the application on the device uses to communicate with whoever you're buying from. Amazon for instance. Note that when you go to checkout on Amazon, in your browser window, up where the URL address bar is, you'll see that the URL starts with "https" instead of the normal "http". This is telling you that your browser is using a secure, encrypted connection to talk to Amazon. The same holds true for other sites also. They all should be using "https" for any communication with you that involves any confidential information. Additionally, reputable vendors like Amazon have what are called "digital certificates". These certificates are used during the communication to allow your browser to be able to verify that they are indeed talking to "Amazon" and not some flake in the Ukraine. They're like digital fingerprints that are used to guarantee the website you're talking to is who they purport to be.

However, if you're using an app on an iPhone or iPad, I would refrain from doing any in app upgrade purchases. Like buying coins or weapons in a game. At least for the time being. There's been an exploit discovered that lets users get in app purchases for free. The down side is that it also exposes your personal information to the bad guys. Until Apple works with developers to plug this leak, I'd avoid any of those type purchases.

Just be sure to deal with reputable firms. Or use PayPal.

Tom :)macwave:... it's a concern...)

11. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Good to know. Thank you.

12. Watchinherskip

So Apple guru's...still haven't been able to figure out Facetime....do any of you have experience with it? Only one name comes up in contacts...do you just type in their email address?

13. catrancher

Well Dan, first of all, there's a couple of requirements that everyone who is using Facetime has to have. They are:

1. Either a Mac, an iPhone 4 or 4S, a 4th generation iPod touch, or an iPad 2 or later. Users on a Mac MUST have an Apple ID to use Facetime.
    2. Of course, everyone using it should be current on their version of IOS or Mac OS X.
    3. Finally, a WiFi network connection. Facetime won't work over cellular. Yet.

Now, assuming all the requirements above are met, you can then you can browse through your iPhone address book, find the person, tap on them, and tap the FaceTime button on their page in your address book. On the Mac, you just open the Facetime application and your contacts will show up in the Facetime app (all of them should show up). Browse through your contacts and click on the one you'd like to have a Facetime session with. If it can do it, it will start a Facetime session with them. If it can't, it will tell you that they're unavailable.

Let me know if you need more.

Tom :)macwave:... it actually works quite nicely!)

14. Watchinherskip

Oh thanks Tom. I don't see all of the contacts there. I guess only the ones with Mac or OS will show up. Since we have 2 iPads, with facetime (and we have it on our Mac desktop), I was hoping to take advantage of it when heading to PA for a plantearium institute in August. Guess we have to make sure that we are added to the contacts app on each others iPad right?

Hoping I can get it to work. We have used skype in the past and it worked great, but since DD, DW and I have apple products it would be good to use that.

DD will be off to college (senior year) in August. It would be nice to use it.

Thanks again

Dan

15. catrancher

They should all show up Dan. Make sure your looking at "all" your contacts. At the top of the contacts list, there's the group button. It's not really too clear due to the color scheme they use that this is actually a button that will take you back to your groups. Make sure you've got the "All Contacts" group selected or whatever group (if any) you'd like to use. See this photo:

Screen Shot 2012-07-18 at 10.33.58 AM.jpg

Also, check out this guys' how to guide. It may help.

Let me know if you still can't get it. If necessary, I'll PM you my Skype address and we can do a screen share to show you how it works.

Tom :)macwave:... you'll like it!)

16. Watchinherskip

:worship:Tom...you da man!!! Will give it a look see when I get home from work. Thanks buddy!

17. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Addicted to Mickey

Deafjeff and I use FaceTime all the time with all our friends and family. Can't wait for it to work via cellular/3G rather than just wifi. Roll on ios6!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Have you see the flag covers for the 4S?

19. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

everyone downloaded mountain lion ????

It's pretty nice :yes:

20. catrancher

Nope. Post up some piccies! :yes:

Downloaded it but haven't installed it yet. Housekeeping first.

Tom :)macwave:... needing a computer maid service.)