1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Apple Anonymous

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by catrancher, May 16, 2012.

1. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

when do we reckon the release will be?
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Well best guess so far is sep 12 th launch with availability a week later
  3. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

The photos I've seen of it look very smart indeed, but then it will have to be the competition is very very good now
  4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

:mental: we'll be in Florida :D
  5. Britchick

i'm in two minds whether to upgrade or not. Jon is going to but there's nothing wrong with my phone and i'm only paying £10 a month for unlimited internet with Giffgaff.
  6. keith

It's an interesting one for sure.

The iphone 4 is a nicer shape than the 3 series but the 4s launch was a bit of a joke :/ adding hardly anything to the product in real terms.

Now as mr skywatchers says, the competition out there now is fierce! the samsung galaxy s2 and now the s3 are wonderfully capable phones with huge expanses of bright vibrant screen. It's very rare for this to happen to an apple product but when you put an iphone 4s by a samsung s3, everyone says wow the apple is old and boring.

I rather like the fact that Apple are trying to keep the device usable with one hand but if the rumours are correct this means it's kept them to the same basic design but a bit more height. I'm not sure that's going to really do it tbh

Likewise the screen with loads of icons is very old in design terms now. Compare it to android where you can put all sorts of updating widgets there or even windows phone with their innovative live tiles which constantly change to show you who's posted what on facebook, how many emails etc. That's going to get even better in windows 8 due out in Oct/nov.

I've seen ios 6 and honestly unless they pull a surprise, it's more of a catch up + consolidate release than anything wow and whizzy! the basics are all the same but its just that things like sharing to twitter/facebook etc have been brought up to date. All good and welcome updates but nothing to make you get an iphone 5 and go OMG WOW!

The best thing I can say about the iphones is, I keep coming back to mine. I have a great opportunity at work to try everything new that comes out and I always end up back at the iphone. The most exciting out there? not now, not by a long shot, but it works reliably and predictably. That's great, but not very apple-y :)

Naturally I'll be first in line for an iphone 5... has to be done :D but if I was a bit more sensible and not a total phone/apple maniac would I be really anticipating its launch? probably not tbh UNLESS they surprise us massively.

If your contracts are up around nov/dec time though, keep an eye out for windows 8. The live tiles are great to use, the phones are cheaper than apple by a mile and although there arent quite the quantity of apps, they have the stability of apple ios with some of the excitement of android. A nice combination!
  7. Britchick

our contracts were up in the Spring so we've just been waiting. I've tried other people's androids etc and i just don't like them. Iphones may not be the most up to date but they're easy to use. I actually prefer the shape of the iphone 3 to the 4 so hope they go back to a shape more like that and not so 'brick like'
  8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I just read out what you said Keith and Chris said "I know - it looks like I'll be upgrading to the Galaxy 3" :lol: We had him for a little while, but I think he's going back towards android again :lol: and there was me thinking we could buy the iphone 5 when we were on holiday.

Apple is a dirty word with his employer, they wanted to buy 470 ipads, but they needed to put their own software on it and Apple refused to give them permission :shrug: So they are trialling the new Galaxy tablet with their software on it, so Samsung are probably going to get the order for 470 tablets.
  9. keith

Well android is last in my list of phones. I do keep trying them and the latest update "jellybean" is a nice improvement but I still way prefer the iphone. It's a personal choice though for sure, I know people in work who much prefer it to apple and for those that do, there are some great phones out there now for sure

I've heard this quite a lot but it's usually a result of bias in the selection. There's a feeling from some people that the apple stuff is less secure when in fact the opposite is true. The ipad/iphones have, for example, had VPN capability built in from a very early stage. In the latest software, there's an "exam" mode which will even lock a device so it can only run the app that is specified so for example they could be given out to run a subset of software and only that software.

Of course, Samsung make great kit too and at the end of the day for most people, it's the software that makes the difference :)
  10. keith

11. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

But, but, but. Samsung's got their own set of problems in court these days.
    Did you see the sales figures that were introduced into evidence? :shocked:

Tom :)macwave:... yep. Steve said he'd go thermonuclear on this.)
  12. keith

I did and I think the answer on that is clear. If you're going to spend £500 on a tablet you're going to buy an ipad, if you dont have 500 to spend, then you buy a samsung android or whatever. So the high margin market goes to Apple.

Of course Samsung had a record breaking pre-order for the S3 phone and are shipping those as fast as they can.

We took a walk around pcworld last week and it was very obvious to me that a few years ago, someone at samsung made the decision to simply copy the best of the products in the areas it was dealing in.

So we saw samsung laptops looking almost identical to the macbook pro and airs. We see phones ripped off from the iphone but not JUST those. Walking further round we saw samsung fridge freezers almost identical to the top end other brands and so on.

It seems to me that it's a conscious decision across every product space they're in
  13. catrancher

I'm no legal beagle (I leave that up to you), but based on what I'm hearing and applying a modicum of common sense, it sounds to me that Samsung may have some problems brewing in the courtroom on that very subject.

In any case, it's a lot more entertaining than what's on the telly! :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... I may have over simplified. :unsure:)
  14. catrancher

Hey Keith and ClarkKent!

All right, now that you've both had your new Retina Macbook Pro's for a bit, how do you like them? :unsure:

I'm still conflicted about things. I want to get another laptop but I don't know whether to get a refurbished 17" Macbook Pro (while I still can) or the new 15" Retina display MBP like you've got. The problem I'm having is that I can get a refurbed 17" for around $2K but to get the 15" Retina model it'd cost me around $3.4K. That extra $1.4K is a huge difference.

Is the new one that much better? :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... conficted...)
  15. keith

I think the problem here is I don't have the same use case as you so it's hard to say....

Long ago I decided that the 15" powerbook was my device. Even running windows with the macbook pro, the 15 was so much better than the pc laptops around.

Now, for those who prefer the smaller 13", the macbook air is unsurpassed. It's truly awesome.

For me and those who like the 15, the new macbook pro retina is, well, just smile-makingly-wonderful BUT for the 17" people, I don't know that it's the right machine :/

The 17" folks tend to be those for whom the physical size mattered less than having that large resolution and although the retina is kinda giving that, it's not doing it in the same way that the 17 did. In other words, everything looks smoother and truly slick on the retina BUT you'd get more on screen on the 17 (unless you turn native mode on the retina and then everything would be VERY tiny).

Now, there are other great bits on the retina, power-nap is brilliant at backing up/getting email etc overnight when the machine is turned off.

Certainly it's the machine for me without any doubt, I wouldnt want the 17 or anything else.

BUT..... you're a 17" fan and I'm guessing you're that way as a result of years of trying others and liking the 17 as a desktop replacement. I suspect a new 17" may suit you better.

(however if all the new bits and pieces on the retina are too much to resist, then I welcome you to the club :D )
  16. catrancher

Thanks Keith! You brought up one point there that I had been concerned about. Turning on native mode on the Retina to cram more onto the screen. I figured doing that would result in tiny stuff on the monitor.
    And I need reading glasses anyway! :shocked:

I'm going to sit and think for another few days but right now I'm definitely leaning toward the refurbed 17" MBP and then bringing up Moutain Lion server on my iMac.

Tom :)macwave:... it never ends does it? :unsure:)
  17. catrancher

Ok. Decided to sell my iMac to get back to a laptop. Details here.

PM me if interested. :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... I'll make you a good deal!)
  18. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Imagineer

Just getting back to you on your question Tom: I love my new retina. I only have the base model but it's lightening fast. DH has the new mid range Air and even between them there's a marked difference. A friend has the 2011 13" and it's already started to slow down significantly compared to newer versions.

I do a lot of video editing and it copes well with anything I throw at it. The only time I have a concern is if I use something that taxes the graphics card it does get a little hot quite quickly, but equally cools down just as quickly. My only other niggle is that some software/apps haven't released retina compatible updates so they are still at the lower resolution which is annoying.

Annoyingly Apple hasn't released any hard covers for the retina model. Luckily a company via amazon has started selling protective covers. So now my retina is a dark shiny red! Whoop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. catrancher

Thanks Clarkkent! :yes:

But, I think I've decided to go ahead and get one of the 17" Macbook Pros that are on closeout at various resellers. I just need the slightly larger screen (lots of windows open).

I just can't justify the added $1,400 for the new 15" Pro with Retina. While it's faster than the 17" with the SSD and "shinier" with the Retina display, I really need the additional screen real estate that the 17" provides.
    And I can save a few more bucks on it now that they're being closed out. :thumbsup:

So, I'm going to try to sell my newish iMac (see here). If I can't get someone to buy it soon, I'll probably just give it to my daughters family. My grandson does some video editing too and it would be a good platform for him. The main thing is I'm going to have to purchase the 17" Macbook Pro before all the current stock is gone.

Tom :)macwave:... shoulda just bought the MBP to start with last April. :doh2:)
  20. keith

You had to try the iMac Tom... I think it made sense "in theory" but in pratice it just turned out not to be the perfect solution. At least you know now!

I'm the opposite way, I keep trying to live with "just a laptop" and I keep on going back to my imac. No reason for it! a laptop attached to a 27" screen IS an imac! but yet, somehow I like the imac sitting there :/

Nowadays with all the files going to the cloud though, it's a little easier to have multiple machines because the files are accessible on all of them.