1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Apple Anonymous

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by catrancher, May 16, 2012.

1. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

You're right Keith. :yes:

The major issue I had with the iMac is that my home office is located down in our basement. That's where my iMac is. On the weekends, I've been bringing upstairs and setting it up in the kitchen where my DW works so that we can be together. At least in the same room. The problem comes during the week. My office hours typically run from about 6:30 AM to around 3:30 PM EST. When I get done with my "real" job, I need to be able to work on other "projects" (involving XCode, Wordpress, something else). Well, with the iMac, I need to stay downstairs in my office to work on those projects. I'm not going to schlep the thing up and down stairs daily. But if I stay downstairs, I have an moderately unhappy DW. This does not help create domestic bliss. A laptop solves that issue. At the end of the day, I can easily bring it upstairs and work while my DW reads. This has two benefits. One is I have more time to get something done that will hopefully (at some point) provide some degree of additional income. Secondarily (and probably more important), it please my DW.

In truth, I should have thought of all this before I bought the iMac. But I didn't. :doh2:

So, heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off the computer dealer I go! :geekon:

If I can't sell the iMac in the next few days, I'll probably just give it to my daughters family.

Tom :)macwave:... normally I'd call myself an idiot but then I'd have to slap me! :slap:)

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Seems reasonable to me Tom, one day I'd love to have a really long chat about xcode and whatever you're messing with :D you're literally the only person I know messing with xcode :) (have you seen the storybooks for ios based development in xcode 4? kinda nice!)

Anyway, perhaps that's for a bar on a Disney cruise sometime.... ? :)

In terms of the laptop yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head with that really. That's EXACTLY what a 17" laptop excels at. A portable desktop. Since I tend to lock myself away in my office and just computer, the imac is fine but if I started to need to work in different places, the laptop would be more important.

3. catrancher

Oh heck yeah! Storyboards are about the coolest thing I've seen since Interface Builder ceased to be a separate application. Even the limited amount I've used them (a main UI view and a preferences UI view) just make so much sense. Someday, when I come up with the "next big idea", I'd love to use them in a more capable way.

Between them and blocks, I'm a rather happy camper! The blocks are really nice since now you don't have to worry about callbacks so much.

And when exactly should we call Sir Slowhand and see about setting that up? :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... working on working...)

4. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Quick apple iMac question erm... Is it possible to upgrade/add a hard drive even if I take it to an apple store? I'm very close to filling my 1tb hard drive ?

5. catrancher

Yep. Drives also come in 2 and 3 TB capacities. And yes, your iMac can be upgraded. But I doubt if the Apple store would do it for you. You'd have to check. You might have to find a computer repair guy locally with Apple experience. Or, do it yourself. There's how to videos on the Powerbook Medic site. I've used Powerbook Medic for years to do my upgrades. I trust what they say.

Or the other possibility would be to get an external disk drive or array. Yes, I know it would only be USB and therefore slower, but it might be an option if you can't find anyone to do your upgrade and you decide not to try it yourself.

BTW - tried to answer this from my iPad last night. Got it all typed in before I promptly lost the page. Stupid me. :slap:

Tom :)macwave:... parts is parts...)

6. keith

I did my imac the day I received it :yes: to replace the 1TB drive with an SSD, so yes it's possible BUT it's not meant to be easy ;-)

I had to buy some large "suckers" as I call them which attached to the screen to be able to lift it off and get to the internals.

After that there was a heck of a lot of fiddly ribbon cables to remove and reattach.

it wasnt fun!

7. catrancher

At least that shows it's possible. :yes:

The videos on the Powerbook Medic site show the same thing. But the parts are big and bulky and the ribbon cables are small and fragile! :shocked:

Tom :)macwave:... Mr. Fixit... )

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

my charger isn't charging my mac book pro, have changed plugs but no light on thing that plugs in to the mac book, any ideas?

9. catrancher

Did the wire get pinched or broken sometime. If it's one of the newer Magsafe connectors with the LED light in the end of cable, I'd suspect that the wire's been broken somewhere along the line. Can you get to an Apple store with your MBP? Let them try it with one of their wall warts.

Tom :)macwave:... currently setting up his new MBP...)

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

can you take it to a franchisee? and if it is broken will i have to pay for it? i don't take the blooming thing out the house so it's hardly been used hard if you see what i mean

11. catrancher

You should be able to take it to anyone who has the same kind of wall wart charger and connector that you do. Even if you've got a friend with one that's got the same model charger.

Will you have to pay for it? Beats me. How old is it? Is it still under warranty (one year limited warranty)? That should cover it I think if it were a problem with the actual computer and was within the warranty period but if it's the charger or the charger cable, I'm not so sure.

Tom :)macwave:... hope you get it worked out. Batterie's only good for about 5 or 6 hours.)

12. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

yes still under warranty, thanks Tom

13. catrancher

See this on the Apple web site.

Tom :)macwave:... off to the Apple Store you go!)

14. catrancher

The deed 'tis done. :surrender:

Tom :)macwave:... laptopified once again...)

15. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Congratulations :D

So, did you manage to sell it or is your daughter and her family very happy :D

16. catrancher

I think they'll be very pleased. We're off to their house tomorrow to celebrate my granddaughters first birthday and she won't be the only one getting a present.

Tom :)macwave:... at least it's going to a good home...)

17. catrancher

One million, 936 thousand, 24 items to backup.

Do you think my Time Machine backup may run for a little bit? :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... needs to clean house...)

18. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Has anyone used pages on the iPad? Does it do enough to write reports/documents?

19. catrancher

I have. And in my opinion, the answer is resounding "yes". :yes:
    And, with iCloud, you can share the same Pages document between your Mac and your iPad.

There is one caveat however. If I were going to do any "serious" reports on the iPad, I'd get an external bluetooth keyboard. I'd hate to try to do any serious typing with the onscreen keyboard.

Tom :)macwave:... it's amazingly capable!)

20. keith

Our marketing guy uses his Ipad and pages each and every day :) he has one of those ipad bluetooth case/keyboards and everything works great!

Apple clearly believe that an ipad will be fine for page creation and having seen it used seriously, I believe it!