1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Apple event Jan 27th

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by keith, Jan 18, 2010.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I sincerely hope they don't change the part that allows you to plug it into your accesories! That would annoy their customer base greatly :yes:

If I haven't mentioned it already... I REALLY want an MBP update but I can't see it! :sigh:

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I fully expect it to be changed since it should all be possible via a mini usb and in the future maybe we'll all be able to just carry around one type of charger.

HOWEVER nothing to stop them separating out the power and leaving the old connector and/or providing a miniusb to old style adapter

I can see it but I doubt the bottom end will see MUCH other than perhaps a slightly faster cpu/more disk

Then again, we've had this all chrome look for years now, perhaps it's time for a change :D

3. josh.p.

Did apple sign the contract that the other mobile company's did? :unsure: I'd like it if they brought the macbook in colours that they do in the iPods :yes:

4. keith

Yep I was pleasantly surprised

yeah I think a lot of people would. I have a friend who swears he won't replace his black macbook with a white or silver thing because he's so proud of it :lol:

5. josh.p.

That image that you posted just makes me think theres something coming in lot's of colours, and the circular edged rectangle looks like a macbook. I'm looking to much into it, I know! :yes:

6. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Remember though, the color things been done! The old original iBooks. Not to say they wouldn't do something like it again...

One thing's certain, since it's Apple, we really won't know anything for sure until the 27th!

Tom :)macwave:... who's a little off color himself!)

7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Looks to me more like the advertising department spilled the paint and thought it was kind of a neat idea. :unsure:

Shades of Andy Warhol! :mental:

Tom :)macwave:... modern art ain't!)

8. josh.p.

They probably want to give connotations of "creating a masterpiece" :yes:

9. keith

They used to give hints on those invites but I dont think they do any more.

The trouble is, as much as I expect a tablet, in the past I've been very sadly mistaken :lol:

Pals at work used to gather with pizza and pepsi around a large screen to watch the Steve Jobs keynotes where he announced these things and we ooooo'd ahhhhh'd all evening :lol:

Thing is often we'd expect a new macbook pro only to get a few ipods and some updated software. Then other times we'd expect some updates to ilife and there'd be new Intel based macbooks!

I just REALLY hope that a) there's a tablet b) it's less than $1000 and c) they DONT call it an iSlate (sounds like an old schoolroom device)

10. josh.p.

I agree, I don't remember exactly when and where I've been dissapointed but I've obeen dissapointed with what they've announced in the past :yes:

They are going to be SO scared right now if they don't have a tablet hahaha. I REALLY don't want it to be called the iSlate. "Macpad" or something like that would be better.

11. keith

Well it's today, or at least it is in the UK :D it's tablet day!

I think we know so far that it'll be 10", running the iphone OS, we don't know if it'll have a built in phone/3g and need a contract (gulp) and sell for less than $1000. Some speculation on $699 with a contract and $999 without. Speculation on availability puts it anywhere between March and June :/

I'm already wondering do I order one online as soon as the website comes back from it's overloading which will no doubt happen, or queue outside an apple store when they arrive. hmmmm

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We dropped by the Apple store in Millenia Mall a couple of weeks ago and could not believe that, given the packed store, there wasn't a special sale or event going on. I can't imagine it with something special.

Unless you like mass crowds, go with the "online" option.

Now. In English please, and reallllllllly slow, just like I'm a six year old. What the hell is it? :unsure: :sorry:

13. keith

That's true but but but :lol: when the iphone was launched, it was a true event. I was at the trafford centre mall and we were all excited little kids :lol: chatting, taking photos, genuinely nice atmosphere.

Well the truth is, none of us really know yet, we just know we want one :D

The idea is that it'll be an iphone thin type of device, about 10" screen that you'll be able to read ebooks on, browse the web, email, diary all that usual stuff but in a format that's easy to carry with a large enough screen to be useful.

So all the usual ebook stuff, newspaper ready for you there in the morning without the waste of trees. millions of books to download when you want. dyanamic/interactive books and so on.

I remember carrying so many law texts around, one girl used to wheel a suitcase around everyday with them all in! So all on a tablet would be great.

Of course, all thats been done with the kindle and so on but many of us have been waiting for a more versatile device.

So then you have all the iphone apps available as well.

Some folks are saying pah, it'll be a niche thing that'll die out because it's too large to carry everywhere like a phone and it's not powerful, or the right format, for typing and doing heavy computer stuff on.

All I can see is potential :yes: I was in a meeting earlier this week with 10 people and standing at the front, all I could see was a wall of laptops staring back at me. How great to get rid of all those, regain a flat writing surface again so everyone can see each other but one where your notes/scribbles are saved and perhaps turned into searchable text.

Lie on the couch with a lightweight tablet reading the forums :D plan a trip in the diary all without feeling that it's a worky-computer if you know what I mean?

The iphone screen is just too small for this, especially for ebooks.

I can imagine so much for it but let's see what it actually is tomorrow :yes;

14. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

15. Tink

Well! Why in heck aren't we awaiting the new Keith Machine then? :unsure: Seriously!?

Does sound good, but does also sound a bit like "yet another" thing to have that doesn't quite do it all.

However, I don't generally talk on my laptop, so that doesn't do it all either.

16. keith

Well, that's exactly what some folks are wondering, will it be enough or will we all still want an iphone AND a tablet AND a laptop AND a desktop.

We'll have to wait and see!

17. Beccaberry

18. Tink

I'm almost convinced that we no longer need a desktop. :unsure:

Couldn't give up the laptop though. If I ever change jobs and lose this one, I'll be buying my own first off.

19. keith

yep, laptop far more versatile I agree :yes:

20. Beccaberry

Totally agree, Tink. Our desktop is basically nothing more than a networking hub and backup. We currently have SIX laptops in our house! That's ONE more than the number of people that LIVE here!