1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Apple event Jan 27th

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by keith, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Hmm

Now its the next day do I still want one..

No multitasking
    No widescreen video
    Still no flash support
    No USB without an ugly adaptor

Still has some issues clearly

maybe the best way to multitask would be this....
    [​IMG]
  3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Yes. After thinking about it some more, there's a couple of issues that I'd like to see get resolved first.

I still think it's cool. And yes, I'd still like to have one. But in order for this thing to make the kind of inroads Apple would like to expect, I think it needs V2 of a few things. From a corporate enterprise perspective, it's still lacking some of the manageability and security features that it needs. Some of these are features are already there in the iPhone OS, so why not on the iPad.

I guess that this, like any other new technology, will have to undergo a degree of maturing before it's truly "ready for prime time".

However, that doesn't change the fact that I still think it's cool and at some point in time, I'm gonna want one! :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.)
  4. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I think this time next year it may be perfected. Although, it might be like the iPhone... they keep keeping something off of their devices and releasing it later and later :yes: I'd have liked to see iChat on there :yes: e
  5. horsedog1

horsedog1 Earning my ears

:travolta:
    :travolta: cool! :travolta:
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Uh oh! Look out Mama!!! The boy wants a new toy! :D :D

You have GOOD TASTE horsedog1 :D :D :D
  7. catrancher

Except for the fact that the gadget in that picture is probably older than he is! :ROFL:

Tom :)macwave:... naw, not the Newton. Keep bugging them for an iPad! :yes:)
  8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It's new to him! :D :D
  9. Skywatcher

Still not sure, part of me loves it , part of me wishes it would just be a little bit 'more' than a large iTouch
  10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I promise you it is :yes: wait and see the apps and feel how you can use it. Forget the actual hardware for now, there's more to it, honest :yes:
  11. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Sir, are you holding out on us?!!?! Do you already HAVE one?!?!
  12. keith

If I did, I couldn't say could I? but no I don't :lol:

I do have the new development kit and an insight into what can be done with the thing and honestly, the potential is amazing. The size, the new interfaces in there, it's going to be so much more than an ipod touch but what it'll be is *ALL* in the apps.

Seriously, it's all in the software/the platform
  13. josh.p.

If there was multitasking, I'd be sold. Or an app that had word processing, MSN and a web browser in one :yes:
  14. keith

well I believe it should have multitasking as well but several things to note

1. it DOES have multitasking of apple core apps, just not user apps. That could change, it's not physically beyond the device (although more memory would really be needed)

2. the reason it doesnt have user level app multitasking is battery life. Take a look at a lot of phones that do have it and the battery life is awful. Some would say they'd like the option (including me probably) BUT it's a valid concern

3. there are notifications on the iphone (and we assume on the ipad) which work in the background to trigger a dormant app and tell it that for example, an MSN message has come in. Assuming that the app has saved its state and can reload it quickly, it looks a lot like multitasking to the user. You/we havent seen many properly written notification apps yet but I have a few and they work VERY well indeed.

I think you'd find switching between msn/web/document on the tablet pretty easy and nice, nicer than on the existing iphone. To be honest, I'm not sure the screen is large enough to properly support all three activities on the single view anyway.

Again all I can say is, this is a new format. It's not an iphone, it's not a macbook and I think we'll use it in different ways. There are a load of people on the web today saying it's rubbish and I'm sure they'll continue to believe their own wibblings. I really believe if we drop our expectations of it being a small macbook or a large iphone and embrace it for what it is, something new and different, we'll enjoy the experience :yes:

(same goes for pc to mac switching by the way. If you spent hours/days thinking ARHGHGHGH *that* doesnt work the same, you're doomed. If you can put the pc experience away in a shoebox under the bed, and come to the mac afresh, all of a sudden it's a joy)
  15. josh.p.

for MY personal use of what I'd like a tablet to do, I'd sacrifice battery life for multitasking. However, I realise that Apple has to appeal lto the biggest market that it can, so I can see why they'd choose battery life over it :yes:

The more I see it, the more I like it, but the multitasking is what puts me off. I'd like a diary/note taking device for uni, and couldn't justify the weight/expense of carrying around a laptop, so this sort of device would be perfect for me :yes:

The main thing I want to know is, if I am in iWork.. and I get a push notification for an IM program, will I loose my work from iWork? :unsure:
  16. keith

no absolutely not! This is what I'm trying to say, it's not really possible to grasp how the thing will work based on what we have today.

Basically, you'll be in iWork writing your doc, you'll get a notification of an MSN inbound, touch it and you'll see a quick flip over to your msn app. You'll do whatever in msn, touch iwork and blam, right back where you were in your document.

You may well be able to setup buttons at the bottom with your fave apps in them like the dock. See a notify in your msn button, touch it, reply, touch iwork, back.
  17. Skywatcher

Mmmm ok, I do still want one

The flash problem still is an issue for me - I listen to the football every weekend and have paid for the privalage of doing so , but it is streamed via a flash plug in - now it works on the macbook pro and the imac but not the iPhone and not seemingly the iPad; Also the kids love to play the flash games and ther eis a lot of the educational stuff on there which is flash based.

The idea of sitting in bed with the kids and an iPad is very appealing but this is still a big issue for me I'm afraid, one that will probably not ever be resolved
  18. keith

Hard to defend the flash decision :( it's more commercial than technical. Once they let flash/java, they've effectively lost their "apple store is the only place to buy apps" thing and all the money that results in.

HOWEVER, flash was only a result of html being so limited. HTML5 is a whole different beast and doesn't need flash to do the same kind of things. Over time it would be natural for most of the stuff that's flash now to transition to html5.

I think it would be next to impossible for apple to fail to support html5. So things could eventually resolve themselves without flash. In the interim, yeah, they're being silly with that decision I agree
  19. catrancher

Same thing many of the pundits said when the iPhone was announced. Yeah... like I believe them. In many cases, they can't think beyond the end of their cumulative noses! :unimpressed:

If you've got a supported browser (Safari, Google Chrome, etc.) go to this page and try it out on Youtube. Just click on the "Join the HTML5 beta" link and after that, your Youtube videos will play using the HTML5 player rather than Flash. While it's certainly not complete, I think it looks pretty good and I look forward to the day when web standards supportable by all vendors will replace proprietary software.

Tom :)macwave:... who needs to dig into the SDK this weekend!)
  20. josh.p.

I think once I use it I will want it.... the race is on for them to get it out before I can afford a mac book though as I'm not the most patient person and I'll end up buying whatever I can afford soonest hahah