1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by keith, Jul 16, 2010.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Every new iPhone 4 purchased through Sept. 30 will be eligible for a variety of free cases, and those who already purchased one will receive a refund, Apple announced on Friday.

Apple will offer its own bumpers, but said it cannot make the cases fast enough for customers, so it will source some other cases from other vendors and give users a choice of options. Users will be able to pick which one they would like.

Customers can apply for their free case on Apple's website starting late next week. "Pick a case, zoom, we'll send it off to you," Jobs reportedly said. "That simple."

In addition, customers who are still unhappy with the iPhone 4 can return their handset undamaged within 30 days for a full refund. Users can return before or after they've received their free case.

"No restocking fee or anything," Jobs said. "We want to take care of everyone. We want every user to be happy."

However, he revealed that there will not be a refund for customers who bought third-party cases for the iPhone 4. There are a very small number of people in that category, he said, because there are so few cases available. Jobs said he wishes there were more people with cases, because then the problem wouldn't have been as widespread.

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Ole Steve didn't look too terribly pleased. :unsure:

Hid it well enough but I don't think I'd want to be anywhere near his office this afternoon. :eek:

Tom :)macwave:... free bumpers for everyone!)

3. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Has the issue been resolved other than the bumper? "Add a bit of rubber... but it's OK, It's FREE!" seems to be a bit un-apple like to me :shrug:

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Depends on your definition of resolved.

Here's an interesting article by the the antenna engineer who's become the latest internet sensation over this.

The thing for me in this article is that many of the other phones have the same problem. Surprise, surprise. The things are radios for goodness sake! It just becomes more noticeable on the iPhone 4 because of where the antenna is located.

Will this fix the whole problem. Nope. But if people get their free bumper (or whatever), it should, in antenna speak, attenuate the problem.

For me, I'm still gonna get an iPhone 4 just as soon as I can figure out what the AT&T contract is gonna cost me! :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... it's the free bumper that did it for me! :yes:)

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Tom, be certain the AT&T coverage will be there when you need it. That's the main reason I turned my iPhone in, the lousy coverage from AT&T.

6. keith

I'm yet to meet anyone in the UK who has an iphone4 who has this issue!

Although I'm right handed, that does mean that I often hold the phone in my left hand whilst prodding the screen with my right. No problem.

I honestly can't say I've seen a problem!

I got my first reasonably sized :D cell phone around 1992 I think, maybe a bit earlier. I can't think of one that didn't display a different reception characteristic depending how I held it. Perhaps I'm just used to getting to know the phones and how to get the best out of them.

Anyway, I'm up for the free case :) Ideally I want an all round thin plastic one like I had for my 3g. If they offer THAT free, it'll be a definite win for me :)

7. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

o2 not giving them out by the look of it .... Although the web page gas just been updated to say they are considering their response to the news conference

Me ? Well if I'm totally honest I think mine has better reception than my 3G has but maybe I hold it weird :unsure:

8. keith

As I understand it it's for everyone who bought one irrespective of whether you bought it from apple or at&t, o2 etc.

I'd be beyond staggered if people on o2 didn't get one

9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Jons had no problem and has already bought a case, I'll get him to get me one for when I upgrade though

10. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Why are they giving away free cases? :unsure:

11. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Some people are having pro lems with call reception due to the positioning of the antenna.

12. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

There is allegedly a problem with signal drop out as the antennae is in the bottom left where most people hold the phone. The case adds a mm gap that supposedly works

13. MarkE

MarkE Imagineer

This can be said of most phones, as keith said- we were discussing this on friday, and between us, we have an iphone 3G (poor me!), two 3GS's and one lucky sausage with a 4G. We all tried to 'kill our signal'

Take off any cases etc that you may have on your phone, and grip it tightly in your hand making sure you're touching the metal bit in at least two different places. All of us could get the signal to drop to basically nothing!! But yet even with the 'no bars' reception, we could all call each other. Weird.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands. They'd just announced this and we were waiting for a couple of others to get to a mates house before we all stayed in and watch a so totally not stolen copy of The A Team. FOOL.

This may have been a problem with apple for a while, but with so many 3G/S users having cases on their phones, you've probably not noticed. With the 4G apple started telling people you don't NEED the case, so more people will have noticed. But the problem may have been around for a while, and I'm sure this isn't iPhone specific, either.