1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

are all disney busses equipped for wheelchairs?

Discussion in 'Special Needs' started by disneymom, Sep 14, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

Do we have to wait for a particular type of disney bus or does every bus have the necessary things to support wheelchairs?

2. luvthemouse

luvthemouse My nickname is DANGER

No, they are all wheelchair accessible!!:p015:

3. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

yes, they are all eqipped handicapped accessible . The driver loads guests with disabilities first and your family can board first as well . No one is allowed on until that person is fastened in securely . The driver opens the door and the bus lowers , a platform comes out for easy access .
    Hope This Helps .

4. Figment

Figment Imagineer

All buses are handicap accessible, but there are actually 2 different kinds. One kind is MUCH easier (IMO) to get on and off. The one I like, the bus actually kinda *leans* over in the back, and then a ramp folds out and you can easily go right up. The other kind, an elevator ramp lowers which you must back onto...then the entire thing raises and you must then back into the space. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to tell the buses apart until they actually get there. Either way, most of the drivers are very nice and helpful about getting you on board quickly.:yes:

5. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Love the "kneeling" buses, Figment!

My only caveat is the contract coaches sometimes used at park closing. They aren't all wheel chair/ECV accessible. You may have to have a CM radio for a bus. The only reason I noticed was I had to wait nearly an hour after park closing at EPCOT one night last year with a family with two ECVs. All of the coaches were contract with five or six steps--which I wasn't able to climb.

The last bus of the night was wheel chair accessible and they allowed me to ride the lift after the ECVs were secured. :)

We were there 11 nights, and that was the only time I experienced or noticed any issues at park closing. Typical waits, yes; extraordinary wait time, no.

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The kneeling buses are more square and seem to sit lower to the ground. They are distinctive, especially if you can get them side by side with the other older buses. You'll see the difference and can then recoginize one from the other.

The older buses sometimes have malfunctioning lifts, and when that happens you will have to wait for the next bus to come around.

7. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

another thing to consider is, if you are using an ECV, some old buses cannot fit them on their lifts, so you have to wait for one of the newer buses.

and.... if there are more than I think 2 wheelchairs, you have to wait for the next bus, since I believe they can only take 2 at a time

8. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

The buses look like these.

If I recall correctly, the kneeling bus is the one on the left while the one on the right has the elevator lift at the back door.

Tom :)macwave:... hope this helps!)

Attached Files: