1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

are cruises expensive?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by disney1sttimer, Sep 15, 2008.

1. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

Ive always thought they would be but now I wonder if theyre much more expensive than staying in a decent resort for the same week?

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

If you go onto the DCL website you will be able to see the costs for yourself and make a judgement disney1sttimer. The cheapest option is obviously an inside cabin.

When you consider that you are "full board" and all soft drinks/coffee, not to mention the entertainment etc. are free [on DCL anyhow], then personally I reckon they are really good value for money compared with some of the better resorts.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  3. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

There are certain travel agencies that offer group rates at very good prices if you don't mind staying in an inside stateroom . And as Slowhand stated above , considering
    everything except alcohol is included, I don't think so .
    If you ever consider doing one and want a website to group rates, feel free to PM me .

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Some people are best suited to an inside stateroom, too. :yes: Those who have motion sickness issues will do best in an inside mid-ship stateroom, so keep that in mind.

Another thing to remember is aboard ship (more than anywhere I'd say) you really don't spend any time other than sleeping and getting "ready" for the next event, so having an inside stateroom is practical as well.

5. Slowhand

Hmmm, not 100% sure about this Tink.
    I was told that one of the best ways to avoid the effects of sea sickness was to view the horizon.
    Also on DCL, some of the inside staterooms are just across the corridor from the outside rooms so the location shouldn`t have too much of an effect IMHO.

6. Tink

Had the doc and several TAs tell me that. :D We have motion sick people in the family and they go with the advice. :yes: Viewing the horizon is the worst thing as it bobs with the waves. :yes:

7. Tink

Ooops, meant to add, as with everything, I'm sure it doesn't apply to everyone!

8. Slowhand

I recall on one of our cruises Tink the sea was really rough [we were told that up to then it was the worst experienced by most of the crew...just our luck!:lol:], and my DW along with many others was feeling really rough.
    The ability to go out onto the verandah to get some fresh air sure helped in her case, even though it was too dark to see the horizon clearly at the time, so that theory couldn`t be put to the test. :lol:
    The fresh air did help though.

9. Tink

Oh I'm sure fresh air would be a great help! :yes: We only ever had one really rough bout, and it was in the early part of the evening, so we could just wander here and there where we pleased. Didn't bother me a bit, but did make Herself feel a bit icky. She kept moving though, and took some Dramamine and even though it was after the fact, it seemed to help. :yes:

10. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

I've never been bothered by that in an inside stateroom . The bobbing rocked me to sleep . It was when I was fully awake , walking about the ship and dinners that I felt nausous on erough seas .

11. Grammiepo

Grammiepo Daisy Inspector

sick no, but walking , one would think I had been drinking. watch the sales and you can cruise real cheap, better and more fun, than any resort ,I have ever been to.

12. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Never ever have I slept better than on a cruise ship!:p015:
    I think what the CMs were saying is that the ship will roll less at a lower level and towards the center. Matter of physics. I have worked as a naturalist on several boats here in VA Beach on whale watches and ocean discovery trips (I was an oceanography/marine bio teacher in a previous life). I know the signs of sea sickness in our guests and the best thing they could do is to get on the deck, and look to the horizon..well actually the best thing to do is to throw them in the water (trick we do on diving trips) but there are laws against that while under weigh:gy:

13. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

The DCL is a little more expensive than other cruise lines, but then you get this HUGE suite and 1 1/2 baths, and AWESOME service. I'd fork over money for a veranda suite..since that's what we had on our first DCL cruise. I can't picture not having breakfast on our veranda and chatting with the folks on either side. And the sunsets and sunrises are so beautiful to watch.
    Man...I really want to go on another cruise. :)
    As for motion sickness....I had my Dr. prescribe the patch...I never used them, but I had them just in case.

14. Watchinherskip

The newer ships are really big, and have active stabilizers on board but they can pitch if the seas are right. Last RC cruise we skirted a tropical storm and a lot of people got sort of sea sick.

I see that RC has a new class of ship coming out soon (might be out now) Oasis of the Seas class at 220,000 tons displacement! A Nimitz class aircraft carrier has about 90,000 ton displacement if memory serves. That is a BIG ship. New DCL ships will most likely be of similar size, seems to be the trend.

15. Watchinherskip

Checked the Passporter site and it appears that the new DCL ships will be in the 122,000 ton range. Thought it interesting to note that on the site it said that even though the ships are getting bigger (more passengers) the ratio to CM's or staff on board the ship isn't increasing to the same degree. Guess you can expect less interaction and service from cruise lines. Cost cutting I guess.

16. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Now that is an awesome job, Watchinhership, I love anything that has to do with dolphins & whales . I love sea life in general except maybe for octopusses and sharks .

17. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

id really love to do a dcl cruise at some point, im gonna do just that terry and look on the dcl site and see how much it is :D

18. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Check with a travel agent who specializes in cruises, as well, Mick. They sometimes have access to specials--or create some additional value (cabin credits, lanyards, etc.)--that we don't see at the time.

Disney pricing is pretty good if you can book 12 months or more out with at least two people in a cabin. The single supplements are atrocious, although DCL is one of the better cruise lines for solos--at least on some cruises. Not an issue for you, though! You'll be fighting off family and friends if you go! :lol:

19. Grammiepo

Grammiepo Daisy Inspector

I think cruise money is some of the best , for my money, I have ever spent. I have no trouble just eating the cost of the cruise, the food is something else, even in fancy places, have I ever had the food ,I have had on a cruise.

20. Slowhand

Totally agree....and you also don`t have to worry about making any ADR`s thanks to the rotation dining arrangement with DCL. :thumbs_up: