1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

are netbooks any good?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by mickey10, May 18, 2011.

1. mickey10

mickey10 Earning my ears

We already have laptops galore but with the carry on limits so low these days we're thinking about getting a netbook or even two to take to orlando.

Has anyone got one of the netbooks ? are they too small or do you get used to them?
  2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I have a netbook, which I used for graduate school classes. It does not have a disc drive, but has a place for sd cards. I love it and would definitely take it to Orlando. The keyboard is small, but that is expected. Mine runs on Windows. :yes:
  3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We were thinking about one for me, as my laptop is too heavy (DH's words not mine :rolleyes: ) for me to carry (he's probably right, but I'm not going to tell him that :whistle: )

I wasn't keen on it being so small and also that I might find it too slow, so we are now looking for a 13" or 14" light weight one.

I think it depends on what you want to use it for, if it's just surfing the internet, checking facebook and emails, I guess it isn't too bad. I think all you can do is look at them and then make a decision, but be careful of the spec, netbooks can be very slow.

I'm sure Keith will be along soon with his excellent advice, he knows what he's talking about more than me :lol:
  4. foreverducky

I don't 'do' anything major with mine. Surf the net, send emails and utilize the note taking abilities. But they are not made to do much more than that.
  5. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Another thing you may want to consider is an Apple iPad. A number of us here on Secrets have them and they're perfect for the kind of things you're describing. :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... iPad aficionado!)
  6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I'm not a netbook fan I'm really not.

I firstly acknowledge of course that everyone's use is different :) so for some they may be perfect.

My main problem is that they're so tiny. The keyboards are icky for me to type on, the screens are painful and they're dreadfully slow sometimes.

Everyone knows how mad I am on new tech, and even though I am, I'm yet to buy a netbook. Friends who have one, have all ebayed them after a while.

Now, could I see that they would work for a few weeks away as a web browser, email platform? yeah I guess I could :) I wouldn't enjoy the experience but they're cheap, light and would work.

Like Tom, I would much rather spend the money on an ipad. Even non-Apple maniacs love the ipad. They're thin, light and designed for exactly this type of use. They make excellent ebook readers and are great for lounging around reading the web, researching, emailing and so on. Until you've tried one a while, it's hard to understand quite how it changes things. No more do you sit at a desk and type, or have something on your lap, you just hold it in your hand and browse around and the touch screen makes everything so much more direct and easy.

The only thing I'd say is that typing on the ipad is an acquired taste ;-) Of course you can add a simple bluetooth keyboard and some ipad cases even have one built in which completely fixes that problem (if you cant get used to the onscreen).

a 13" laptop is an alternative if you dont like the ipad and I'd far rather a 13" laptop to a netbook particularly if you're used to a nice large, powerful laptop :)
  7. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

In general, netbooks are just so cheaply made that I don't appreciate them at all :unsure: Like Keith, I usually get most new tech and I've yet to buy one of these. They are too hard to enjoy and it would probably make me want to hunt out an internet cafe :yes:
  8. foreverducky

I have been out numbered. :surrender:
  9. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Hey, your opinion is probably worth more than mine since you've actually used one quite a lot of times! I have only ever used friends and seen ones in the shop and they've all felt cheaply made to me :shrug:
  10. keith

to each their own though :yes: It's always good that there are alternative technologies so we can each find our own way :)
  11. Wendy

Awww :hug2: I just didn't want one because in all honesty I'd rather take my own as everything I need is on here.
  12. keith

See that's a really good reason too.

I have everything setup on my 15" macbook pro and I took the macbook air this time because I couldnt get the 15" under the carry on weight :( For two weeks I kept thinking arghrhgrhg where's that gone, where's that file...
  13. Wendy

Well try and convince Chris that............................. I can't :lol:
  14. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Sorry another one here for the iPad. I've had mine for about a month now and never off the thing!
    The one and only down point with an iPad though is that you can't view sites that use adobe flash player (main example the DLRP site). Apart from this the iPad is brilliant.
    I use mine in the uk on wi fi but need to look into trying to get a pay as you go data plan for when we go on holidays especially to the states next year.
    :wiggle:
  15. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

ok
    i have a netbook a laptop and an ipad and out of the 3 i couldnt be without my ipad :worship: our netbook is used most by Dave the laptop we both use but the ipad is attatched to my arm and removed at bedtime and reattatched in the morning :)
  16. Wendy

:lol: ok now I have this image in my head :lol:
  17. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

I have a netbook,an Asus Eee PC and it's wonderful. It has been on 3 transatlantic trips and is still as good as new. Light to carry, in my handbag, and easy to use.
    I love it. :)
  18. foreverducky

That's what I have. :D
  19. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Great liitle machine, isn't it? :yes:
  20. foreverducky

Yepper! It does exactly what I bought it for. :D